BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

EXXEL Distributions

10-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
dadealus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13'E92 M3

Tire questions, new to VA area (Richmond, VA)

My rear left keeps loosing air, my front right has a slight bulge :X so I guess I'm in dire need of swapping my tires. I've always lived in the south where you could get away with using summer tires all year round.

1. part of me thinks I should get a winter setup but this may be overkill for the one or two snow days im told we get here. and in a few months once it heats back up to 40s+F I'll need to rebuy a new set of summers.

2. I keep seeing alot of hype about the Michelin A/S 3s and the cheap skate in me thinks "hey these might fit all your needs!" but the driver side of me thinks " no way these will be as good as dedicated summer tires"

3. a 3rd idea i have is to just screw it and just buy a new set of PSS (my only reservation is those 2 days of MAYBE snow and doesn't driving summer tires in <40F weather cause increased wear?)

What are you RVA area drivers doing for winter?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

If I were you I would pick up a second set of wheels and tires for the winter and keep a summer set. You may only need the winters a couple days out if the year but PS2's in the winter could end up costing you lots more than $2000.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Sirius Black
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
The snow issue during the winter is not the only concern with running Summer tires thru the winter. In very cold temps they loose a lot of grip even when dry. Even more when cold and wet. When my M3 was my only car I did use a dedicated set of winter tires and have found over two seasons they wear very little.

This year I am playing with the idea of not running the winters, leaving the PSSs on thru the winter, and only driving the M when the conditions are favorable. On the other side, the Michelin Alpins still have 7/32 of tread on the rear, and do provide decent grip in the cold so I may run them again.

If your M is your only car I would at least go with a set of All Seasons, and pick up a set of Summer performance tires for the summer. Though the cost will be a bit higher, you'll be splitting the mileage/wear between two sets so you'll get more time from both sets.
      10-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

You are far enough north now that, for a couple months, temps during morning commute times or night times will be below the recommended temps for summer performance tires. Sometimes way below. That plus rain = risk of low traction if you have to perform an avoidance manuver or short stop.

If it actually snows, your car will not be driveable with all-season radials. So if it snows while you're at work, you won't be able to drive it home. First snow-covered hill you get to will end your journey.

If I were you, I would get some moderate snows, like Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds.
Appreciate 0