BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #45
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
"Hey ladies, check out my M3! Do you want to go back to my parents house to hang out?"

FAIL. I would wait on this one......

+100,000 'You have to promise to be very quiet until we get to the basement, cause I think they are still awake upstairs"

Oh damn memories of a time long gone by...
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #46
F22
2Addict Pledge
Rep
Drives: Acura RSX-S

yanno - thanks to the users who offered constructive criticism and alternative ways to go about the 20s. it is best that i use an M3 as a motivational tool for later down the road.

and to the users who decided to turn on the flamethrower - i forgot that you all had life by the balls at 23.

we all have desires in life - and this one ran a little ramped on me after driving an E92 for a couple days while visiting my cousin.

i acknowledged in my first post that i needed to be talked down from my high aspirations!!

i started to turn a leaf about ///M owners and then of course, one from my hometown, probably the same guy who drives through the south side on a saturday night lighting up on east carson street cause he needs the attention - is the one to come in an just bash away.

bro i'm 23. i have aspirations. i know i need to move out. i just can't believe that someone of your wealthy stature could be so condescending. oh wait, thats called new money.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #47
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92desired View Post
yanno - thanks to the users who offered constructive criticism and alternative ways to go about the 20s. it is best that i use an M3 as a motivational tool for later down the road.

and to the users who decided to turn on the flamethrower - i forgot that you all had life by the balls at 23.

we all have desires in life - and this one ran a little ramped on me after driving an E92 for a couple days while visiting my cousin.

i acknowledged in my first post that i needed to be talked down from my high aspirations!!

i started to turn a leaf about ///M owners and then of course, one from my hometown, probably the same guy who drives through the south side on a saturday night lighting up on east carson street cause he needs the attention - is the one to come in an just bash away.

bro i'm 23. i have aspirations. i know i need to move out. i just can't believe that someone of your wealthy stature could be so condescending. oh wait, thats called new money.
Dude, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. You obviously know what you need to do. Enjoy your 20's, have fun travel, date around. The M will always be around for you to get it. But just make sure you get it when "you" feel that you are ready. It is an expensive car, with high monthly payments. The last thing you want is to be really inspired by something you want to do, ie: move out, start a buisness, continue on with more education, get married etc,,,, and have the high monthly payments acting as an achor in you following these dreams. At least you have a cousin that has one. Go out and drive his everytime you get that urge..
Good luck
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #48
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Buy mine $44k
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #49
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

E92desired, I'm not going to sit here and tell you to buy or not buy an M3. I know the desire to own a nice and expensive car is really strong, especially if you never owned one before. I spent 34 of my 50 years working my way up the car ladder and just ordered my new M3 last year. One thing that caught me off-guard, and I didn't see anyone say this, and that's insurance! Since your under 25, it is going to be very very expensive. I had a 2007 Corvette before buying my M3 and with no accidents or tickets, my insurance went from $235 every 6 months to over $687 for my M...nearly triple and I'm 50!

Another thing that would concern me, is driving an M3 in Pittsburgh in the winter time. We don't get much snow here in Oklahoma, but if I only had one car, it sure wouldn't be an M3.

As others have said, there will always be desireable cars available. In fact, I'm already starting to get the itch again because I'm finding the M3 just didn't fill all my needs. There are other cars out there that can be very rewarding to drive. I had a 2001 VW Jetta GLX that isn't nearly the car that the M3 is, but it did keep me the happiest of any of my cars. And the Corvette I had was about as fast, looked good, great gas mileage and it was cheaper than my VW to insure. The bottom line is only you can determine if you can afford one and hopefully you can sift through the sarcastic mommy and daddy comments and see that there is some good advice here. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #50
okcomputer
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe

Parkanzky- yup, I've got the whole Radiohead catalog loaded up in the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #51
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
E92desired, I'm not going to sit here and tell you to buy or not buy an M3. I know the desire to own a nice and expensive car is really strong, especially if you never owned one before. I spent 34 of my 50 years working my way up the car ladder and just ordered my new M3 last year. One thing that caught me off-guard, and I didn't see anyone say this, and that's insurance! Since your under 25, it is going to be very very expensive. I had a 2007 Corvette before buying my M3 and with no accidents or tickets, my insurance went from $235 every 6 months to over $687 for my M...nearly triple and I'm 50!
+1

Insurance is pricey! The M3 is still quite a bit cheaper than the Evo I had before but at your age, I can see $300 a month insurance payments on that car. The Evo was $200 a month insurance when I first got it and I was almost 30 years old at the time!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #52
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
First thread post - the name's Joe, i guess here's a quick rundown:

First off - a lot of respect for you guys who take the M3 on. It's one hell of a machine - and it is not a cheap car. If you own one, you're doin OK - so pat on the back for you, lol.

Driving a 2004 RSX-S w/ 120k on it.
23 yr old male (24 in Jan.)
Steady career started out and making low 40s
I have no debts right now - no student loans, etc.
I have no major bills right now (cell, insurance, credit card, thats it)
Still living at home - so i can save some serious money over the winter.

I made the fatal mistake of driving my cousins E92 M3 last weekend, and can't get Bimmer off the brain.

So i'm thinking with the "why not now?" mentality. I'll be 24. I'm single. If i want a sportscar, its gonna be now or when I'm 60 (barring i make a shit ton of money)

Do i pull the trigger next spring? or do i ride the RSX out until i see the new M3 cause the E92's price to drop?

*i am obviously looking used*

Thoughts?
Hey, welcome. I can understand your enthusiasm.

Basically, you will be making a choice between using up all your flexibility now or waiting... and having a LOT more choice and flexibility later on.

Personally, I would want the latter. You do not want to go backwards (e.g. having to give up driving a nice car because you need the money to get married, buy a house, etc.) Going up and up is much more fun.

Save your money now. There will be no absence of great cars like the M3 once you have the money...

So... don't think of it as depriving yourself. Think of it as doing it FOR yourself.
      08-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #53
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

buy this pre-owned. Trust me, at least if you're tired of the car, you wont' have eaten alot of the depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #54
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
+1

Insurance is pricey! The M3 is still quite a bit cheaper than the Evo I had before but at your age, I can see $300 a month insurance payments on that car. The Evo was $200 a month insurance when I first got it and I was almost 30 years old at the time!
haha! I got my Evo down to around $85 a month, then when I got the M3, $60!! I also turned 25 and bought more insurance shortly after too. but my bundle discount accounts for only $10 a month savings.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #55
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
+100,000 'You have to promise to be very quiet until we get to the basement, cause I think they are still awake upstairs"

Oh damn memories of a time long gone by...
Yup, good times back then. Except I was 17yrs old. Moved out of my parents house long before 24yrs old. Making out with chicks at your OWN apartment or driving an M3 while living with your parents...hmmm. Seems like a no brainer. Unless you are ugly of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #56
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
i'm bored with the damn car. i've had it for 7 years...
I didn't read the whole thread before responding. OP, I do think you need to realize how lucky you are to even have an RSX since Junior High.
      08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #57
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

No kidding. My parents weren't wealthy. Should I be ashamed that my wife and I have worked hard and scrimped and saved so that we can buy a few luxuries that we enjoy? Is it really that much better to spend "old money?"
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #58
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

This is my story:

Since I was a kid, I was in love with BMWs, it started when my uncle bought a BMW 2002, and then saw the e46 M3 and pretty much watched every video about it and it was my dream to have one. While I was student at university, I started saving money for my M3 from my part time jobs. When I graduated when I was 26, I found a job in few month and started making around $70K+ (considering higher tax in Canada, would be likely around making $50-60K in US). I did not have any student loan as well and when I became 27, I decided that it is time and I bought my M3 in cash. Everyone was suggesting buying a house instead or invest, etc... but this was my dream and I was working and saving for buying this car, so I bought my e92 M3. No offense to any older M3 drivers (I have a lot of respect for you guys) but I said to myself that I want to enjoy this car when I am young, not when I am 40-50 years old. So I bought my first M3 and did not regret it for a second!

So if you have a comfortable life, and steady job and income, I would buy an M3 and enjoy it while you are young and you can have fun with it.
Edit: Did not have time to read the whole thread. just read the first post, and replied.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #59
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
This is my story:

Since I was a kid, I was in love with BMWs, it started when my uncle bought a BMW 2002, and then saw the e46 M3 and pretty much watched every video about it and it was my dream to have one. While I was student at university, I started saving money for my M3 from my part time jobs. When I graduated when I was 26, I found a job in few month and started making around $70K+ (considering higher tax in Canada, would be likely around making $50-60K in US). I did not have any student loan as well and when I became 27, I decided that it is time and I bought my M3 in cash. Everyone was suggesting buying a house instead or invest, etc... but this was my dream and I was working and saving for buying this car, so I bought my e92 M3. No offense to any older M3 drivers (I have a lot of respect for you guys) but I said to myself that I want to enjoy this car when I am young, not when I am 40-50 years old. So I bought my first M3 and did not regret it for a second!

So if you have a comfortable life, and steady job and income, I would buy an M3 and enjoy it while you are young and you can have fun with it.
Edit: Did not have time to read the whole thread. just read the first post, and replied.
The difference is that you paid cash! If this guy wants to save up the money and write a check, I don't think anybody would fault him for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #60
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
The difference is that you paid cash! If this guy wants to save up the money and write a check, I don't think anybody would fault him for it.
Yes, again, I did not read the whole story at the beginning. I would save money and buy it in cash.

Also after reading more, I would definitely move out before buying a fancy car.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #61
F22
2Addict Pledge
Rep
Drives: Acura RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
OP: What's up with all the "new money and no class" talk? Bro.
wasn't referring to you, was i? i just didn't appreciate the way i was talked to - not that the internet is the end all be all, but the posts were rather belittling.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #62
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Interwebz
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #63
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

you only live once...if you can afford the monthly do it... all this about saving for 401k, house, etc.. is great and dandy... but you never know what is going to happen in the future.. live your life to the fullest ... you want to enjoy your youth as it goes by so quickly...prioritize what is important to you ..not what everyone else thinks is important
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #64
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222 View Post
...but you never know what is going to happen in the future..
Probably a good reason to not put every last cent into a car. I do get the carpe diem approach to things, but sometimes that ends up being more trouble without a little foresight.

Then again, if you are coming to an internet forum for car buying, life-advice.....
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #65
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

IMO move out and live your 20s. Living in your parents house past your early 20s is blah. Chicks dig guys with cribs and an RSX more than a guy in an M3 at his mammies
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #66
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
IMO move out and live your 20s. Living in your parents house past your early 20s is blah. Chicks dig guys with cribs and an RSX more than a guy in an M3 at his mammies
Agreed, if you're still living at your parent's house you shouldn't even be considering this. In fact, I'm surprised they would even tolerate the thought. If I had been in your situation at 24 and mentioned buying an M3 to my pops I can only imagine how pissed he would be.

Save your money, move out and give it a few years. An out of warranty M3 is just not a good move for you right now.
Appreciate 0