BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hello from SC!

Hi all - picked up my 2013 Jerez Black M3 a couple weeks ago. Just rolled over the 1,200 mile break in this weekend, finally time to have some fun!

I've seen a handful of other Bimmers around Charleston...anyone home?
      12-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

welcome and congrats on your new M, i love Jerez soooooooo much-its such an amazinggg color drive safe and good luck w/all the mods

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep

Upstate here. Don't see many M3's around here unless you go to the performance center
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Nice congrats!. JB is a very nice color, it's a biatch to keep clean, easy to scratch and swirl, just be careful when washing it. Enjoy

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Rdstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_D View Post
Hi all - picked up my 2013 Jerez Black M3 a couple weeks ago. Just rolled over the 1,200 mile break in this weekend, finally time to have some fun!

I've seen a handful of other Bimmers around Charleston...anyone home?
Welcome and congrats! Z3 M Roadster in Mt Pleasant, if you need some tips on keeping that JB looking new I'd be happy to pass on some knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
sonic03inSC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Welcome!!
I have the midlands covered I guess.
      12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks all, 1,200 mile service went well. I reminded them to not drain the DCT trans fluid, was nervous that they might, especially after hearing all of the horror stories here!

I'd love to hear any tips on keeping the car looking good - I can already tell it's going to be tough to keep her shiny.

The mod bug has already hit...forgot how much fun it is!

EDIT: Any thoughts on the Liquid Highway car wash on the Connector/Hungryneck? I've gone through a couple times with my old E46 and they actually detailed it before I sold her...but the car washes with that aren't "touch free" concern me...seems like it could be very easy to get some extra dings/scratches in there.
      12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all, 1,200 mile service went well. I reminded them to not drain the DCT trans fluid, was nervous that they might, especially after hearing all of the horror stories here!

I'd love to hear any tips on keeping the car looking good - I can already tell it's going to be tough to keep her shiny.

The mod bug has already hit...forgot how much fun it is!

EDIT: Any thoughts on the Liquid Highway car wash on the Connector/Hungryneck? I've gone through a couple times with my old E46 and they actually detailed it before I sold her...but the car washes with that aren't "touch free" concern me...seems like it could be very easy to get some extra dings/scratches in there.
It's actually much easier than most people would think, it's just a matter of having the knowledge about proper paint maintenance and knowing what type of techniques are being used on your vehicle.

Tip #1 - Absolutely NO automatic car washes! (Touchless or not)
Other than regular wear on your cars paint from the elements, this is where 50% of your light swirl marks and other light paint damage can from. Automatic car washes are in the business of enhancing their profits and not in the business to enhance or protect your cars paint. In most places the water is "filtered" and reused. So the water and brushes that just washed the mudded 4x4 in front of you are going to be used on your car. This goes for generic car washes that offer hand washing. If you've ever washed your own car think about how much dirt and grim are in the buckets and washing pad after cleaning your 1 car. Most places reuse these car, after car, after car. HAND WASH AT YOUR HOME ONLY using a product that will lift dirt up and away from your car as your cleaning it. A very thick and dense microfiber pad or a wool pad will be the least abrasive on your paint. If you don't have a place to wash your car at home and can't use a neighbors place than you'll have to find a self car wash that doesn't re-use their water. Bring your own buckets, car soap and wash cloth. DO NOT USE THE BRUSH THAT'S IN THESE BAYS. This can be difficult, but the results are worth it! You'll find minor to no swirling and won't need to have your paint corrected as often (I'll get into paint correction later)

Tip #2 - The Detail - Know what's being done to your car!
"The Detail" is probably the most mis-used phrase in the car industry and as a result has harmful effects on the condition and preservation of our cars paint. If the neccessary steps, techniques and products are not being used during a detailers process, then the other 50% of swirls and paint damage to your car can come from this. Most of low and high end dealerships, detail shops and car washes don't posess the proper knowledge thats neccessary to detail a car. How does this go unoticed? Why haven't you heard of this before? Simple, it has to do with acceptance. The day you get your car back from one of these places the car looks amazing! It's just been waxed and they've made it look like a new again! About 1 maybe 2 months later the wax wears off, and it's back to looking at those awful swirl marks and same imperfections that were there when you dropped the car off. You accept the fact that the only way to keep your car looking brand new is to return to the same detailer to get it looking new again. If they aren't using the proper techniques and products this is a great way to continualy DAMAGE your cars paint. The most difficult part to understand about this is that in the eyes of the individuals performing these types of details, they are thinking the same thing because they don't know any better!! To say these places knowlingly damage your car with their detailing process would be incorrect. They just simply have not been given the proper knowledge.

Tip#3 - A base for finding a true professional detailer
Start by looking at their pricing sheet. It's important to remember that if you're only looking at the actual price and not the description of what type of treatment your car is getting, your headed down the wrong path. A true professional treats detailing cars as more of an art form than just a source of income. Proper detailing technique takes a LOT of time, effort, knowledge and most of all passion. To say you get what you pay for is an understatement in this line of business. In your case, with your car being basically brand new, with your dealer most likley damaged your paint already with their "new car prep detail," and with taking it to an automatic car wash, than you need to look for a detail that involves a Interior cleaning, Hand wash, Claying, Minor paint correction, Sealant and Wax

- Interior is vaccumed, cleaned and conditioned. Specific spot removal is normally extra

- Hand washing will lessen the likely hood of any further paint damage.

- Claying removes any debris that has not been washed off with the hand wash. This process will leave your cars paint smooth and clean of any small contaminents that could have caused further damage when correcting and sealing your paint.

- Paint correction is a multi layered process that will actual remove any light imperfections and swirls in your paint by using either hand or machine polishing methods with various abrasives (Polishes) and using a machine to polish ONLY when neccessary. This step needs to be done by a professional who understands paint depth and how to remove these imperfections while retaining as much clear coat as possible. This is a common step where swirling comes from when the paint correction process is left in the hands of an inexperienced detailer.

- Sealant, depending on the quality of the product used, can act as a clear film that protects your cars paint from road debris, sun fading, minor sctraches and other natural elements. A good (expensive) sealant can last from 6 months to a year. This process retains the depth and clarity created by the paint correction process and helps keep your cars paint looking new.

- Wax This will enhance the depth and the wow factor after this entire process. The wax acts as an additional layer of protection against the elements and lasts about 2-4 months depending on the qulity.

There are ABSOLUTELY no shortcuts when it comes to these steps It's common for this type of detail to take about 2-4 days with an experienced detailer and can cost anywhere in the range of $400-$700. However, the results are unparralleled and well worth it if you want to see your car's true color.
I detailed for a proper shop through college and now just do my personal cars so unfortunately I don't have any references for you in this area. This is really just scratching the surface, but I beleive that all car owners should poses the knowledge that not all details are created equal. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd also be happy to point you in the right direction if you're looking into doing some of these steps your self. It's truly a rewarding process when done right and the results are amazing.

Last edited by Burn0utsRfun; 12-31-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

My Sister actually lives in Charleston, she drives a grey 335i...you might have seen her around.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

I too live in chuck town, over on the WEst Ashley side.. 2012 jbz e92 m3.. I've seen a few other m3s driving so one of them very well may have been u.. I have a few friends who love cars and bmws here in town I hang out with, one drives a 135, lne a e36 m3 and the other a 335is.. The 4 of us r part of the bmw cca sandlapper chapter and attend those meetings on occasion, but we all should get together sometime
      12-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
I too live in chuck town, over on the WEst Ashley side.. 2012 jbz e92 m3.. I've seen a few other m3s driving so one of them very well may have been u.. I have a few friends who love cars and bmws here in town I hang out with, one drives a 135, lne a e36 m3 and the other a 335is.. The 4 of us r part of the bmw cca sandlapper chapter and attend those meetings on occasion, but we all should get together sometime
Trying to set up a meet place/time/date here.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...3#post13233033
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
tpark94
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Im driving my 135 down next week.
Plan on going to cars and coffee next saturday
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...874223?fref=ts
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

congrats on your jerez black =)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpark94 View Post
Im driving my 135 down next week.
Plan on going to cars and coffee next saturday
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...874223?fref=ts
Nice, I'll definitely come to this.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep

i believe i will also attend this saturday, i have been meaning to go to this for a while
      01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

Wow, thanks for the info BurnOuts! Sounds like I need to get a detail kit together for sure.

That Cars and Coffee looks great. I'll see if I can get up early enough this Saturday

Last edited by T_D; 01-03-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

Any chance you guys in SC have either the Eisenmann Sport/Race or the Akra slip on exhausts? I am ready to buy one, but I'd like to hear one of them first. Can't figure out if I want the race or sport sound...it is my daily driver.
      01-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep

i actually am in the middle of buying the akra slip on from another member on here. Im hoping to get it and installed before the week of the 19th/20th and you are more than welcome to check it out once I do. A few of my friends and I are going to be headed to Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah that weekend. All of you are welcome to sign up and come with us, it should be a blast!

Btw I was at the Cars and Coffee today and met a few guys but im not sure if it was anybody on here, anybody else go?
      01-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
frybird57
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Any chance you guys in SC have either the Eisenmann Sport/Race or the Akra slip on exhausts? I am ready to buy one, but I'd like to hear one of them first. Can't figure out if I want the race or sport sound...it is my daily driver.
Upstate here. I have an Eisenmann Race on mine. I can try to get a clip of it tomorrow for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

Cool - I'll for sure want to hear the Akra in person once you get it. Think I am scheduled to be on call that weekend, but I should be able to make a couple of the Cars and Coffee meets moving forward too.

frybird - that'd be cool. I've listened to a lot of the vids out there, but more info is always good.
      01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
frybird57
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I didn't think about just looking online. hah. I love the exhaust. You can hear it a little bit in the cabin, but it's not so loud that you can't talk or hear the radio, etc. For what it's worth, my brother has an Eisenmann Race on his e60 m5 and I feel like his is much louder than mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

After spending a few hours reading every thread about the Akra Slip on and Evo vs the Eisenmann Sport and Race...I am still undecided.

blankstar - let me know for sure when you get the slip on installed. I'd love to hear it in person.