BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM
View Poll Results: do you have uninsured motorist coverage?
yes 24 88.89%
no 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

uninsured motorist coverage

I have to switch insurance because a 43% increase is unacceptable to me but it brings up the question of uninsured motorist coverage. I have heard the debate if you have good health insurance you do not need it. so do you guys have this coverage?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Huh? Who will pay for your car if someone with no insurance totals your car? Your health insurance?
      11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

i cant take it anymore. im starting an insurance thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
lol, was waiting for you to pop in.
      11-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
lol, was waiting for you to pop in.
sweet jesus i cant believe this.

health insurance will not cover physical damage by an un/under insured motorist.

can we walk on the sun at night?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
LOL
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I dont think he's talking about property damage. He's talking about UM bodily injury.

If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist and you don't have UM coverage, your health insurance will generally pay for your medical bills related to that car accident. That can easily total tens of thousands of dollars if you require a hospital stay. If you have UM/UIM coverage, that pays for health care expenses before your health insurance kicks in.

But your health insurance won't pay for lost wages if you miss work or for pain and suffering resulting from the crash. Lost wages and pain and suffering are paid for by the at-fault driver's liability insurance. If the other driver doesn't have liability insurance, or doesn't have enough of it, you're out of luck — unless you have UM/UIM coverage or want to pursue the matter in court.

In some states, you can also buy uninsured motorist property damage insurance (UMPD), but it is a separate coverage added to your auto policy.

If you don't have UM/UIM coverage and are hit by an uninsured motorist, your only option is to pursue the driver in civil court or small claims court. That's not a cheap or easy option for recouping your costs. First, you should hire an attorney. Second, uninsured drivers tend to lack coverage because they cannot afford the car insurance rates. Therefore, it's unlikely that they can pay for your medical treatments even if you win the case.

As with any other car accident, before you can make a claim on UM/UIM coverage, car insurance companies will want to investigate the claim. They will confirm that the other motorist is uninsured or underinsured and that he or she is at fault.
we have PIP in florida. it will pick up his BI up to 10k. assuming he pays his bills.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
we have PIP in florida. it will pick up his BI up to 10k. assuming he pays his bills.
ahh my post got deleted lol. But Im glad you qouted me. Louisiana is a alknfosidnf for uninsured motorists. Reason my rates are the highest in the country I believe
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
ahh my post got deleted lol. But Im glad you qouted me.
aint no thang.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
aint no thang.
lol
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Sara, nice job summarizing the situation on UM which most people do not understand.

There is another part to this, if you choose to fight, some insurance companies and start have what they call a full tort option, if you have full tort, then you over insurance rate is higher since it allow you the option to sue. If you do not have full tort option then you can not sue, and you agree to accept what your insurance company choose to pay out.

As I tell people when they are trying to decide which way they should go with all of this. I tell them how luck do they feel, to quote Dirty Harry. If you choose minimums and such and you get in a serious accident and the other person can barely afford the car let alone the insurance you are probably going to be in serious hurt.

What people do not realize is collision and comp are the only part of the insurance that covers your car, all the other insurance cover the other person whether it is your fault or theirs. Liability is if it is your fault and UM/UIM is if it is their fault. Also some companies also include Medical which is to cover your medical deductible of your personal health insurance, This cover any expense that your personal health insurance does not cover.

As one person pointed out, none of this covers lost wages, if you in a serious accident and you work for a company, usually you can file for disability insurance to cover you lost wages if you are that hurt that you can not work.

So again, how luck do you feel not to have coverage, considering the worse drivers are the same people who do not have lots of coverage nor do they care if they loose what little they have.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
sweet jesus i cant believe this.

health insurance will not cover physical damage by an un/under insured motorist.

can we walk on the sun at night?
Uninsured does not cover property my collision does. At least in fl.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Yes. Mine saved my ass when I was hit by an illegal immigrant with no insurance. Take note however that to claim the full coverage in your policy may mean take your ins co to court.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0