BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

05-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Anyone else have a difficult job?

I take my work home every week and put in at least 15 hours outside of work a week just to keep up. The pay is nice, but my hours are only slated to get longer. Right now I have to get a report in in the next few hours and I've been up all night.

I'm just wondering, is anyone else in a similar position? Good pay, hard work. Feel free to share. My guess is there are quite a few of us out of the M3 owner's circle.

If anyone is wondering I'm 2 years into a position in Finance.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

I work on commission. I work 24/7. At times, I have to be up at 3am to make a phone call. Or wait for other people to wake up in other time zone even if it means i have to be up all night till 5am. So if i dont close a deal then i get to eat noodles and use candles as heat.
I get to deal with people who talk big but dont deliver at times and waste my time in the process, they act like children constantly bickering about every 0.01% for weeks. Its a fucking nightmare.

The pay out is big once a year, but the rest of the year i have the stress of not spending all my money all at once and make it last all year.

My second part time job, that keeps me afloat, involves buying used cars and sending them over seas. The hard part about it, is my partner who doesnt know shit about cars, very picky about cars or SUVs, and i have to spoon feed him every detail about a vehicle what makes it good or bad. He talks way too much and doesnt think anything through, he makes decisions at the spur of the moment, but a hard working guy.

In a addition to, my dog comes first. She gets to eat meat even if i cant afford to eat meat, because i cook for my dog as i dont feed her dog food. Since i live in area where everything is close by, i ride my bicycle to most of the places when i shop, and my dog pulls me on my bike. She gets the needed exercises and i get my grocery shopping done.

Last edited by KGB7; 05-07-2011 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
I work on commission. I work 24/7. At times, I have to be up at 3am to make a phone call. Or wait for other people to wake up in other time zone even if it means i have to be up all night till 5am. So if i dont close a deal then i get to eat noodles and use candles as heat.
I get to deal with people who talk big but dont deliver at times and waste my time in the process, they act like children constantly bickering about every 0.01% for weeks. Its a fucking nightmare.

The pay out is big once a year, but the rest of the year i have the stress of not spending all my money all at once and make it last all year.

My second part time job, that keeps me afloat, involves buying used cars and sending them over seas. The hard part about it, is my partner who doesnt know shit about cars, very picky about cars or SUVs, and i have to spoon feed him every detail about a vehicle what makes it good or bad. He talks way too much and doesnt think anything through, he makes decisions at the spur of the moment, but a hard working guy.

In a addition to, my dog comes first. She gets to eat meat even if i cant afford to eat meat, because i cook for my dog as i dont feed her dog food. Since i live in area where everything is close by, i ride my bike to most of the places when i shop, and my dog pulls me on my bike. She gets the needed exercises and i get my grocery shopping done.
Not sure if serious...

P.S. I think you need a horse.
      05-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

@KGB

My mom actually does a similar job (selling used cars overseas) for fun, but it's definitly a risky business. Personally I think everyone needs basic stable income, they can't rely on taking risks to get them by, and I've seen a lot of good people lose everything because they just couldn't make it to their next big pay day. You can't control risk, and in the financial the company that I work for assumes the worst case scenario will happen and we totally insulate ourselves from being dependent on anything going our way. That lets us keep going no matter how bad our luck is, and the pay off is always there after a streak of bad moves, which we have no problem absorbing.

I'd consider getting a day job though, you can't be at the mercy of your luck man, no matter how good the good times are.

With my line of work I pretty much know I'm going to be making good money my whole life, but I work hard to make great money because I have the opportunity to and I'm not someone who can squander that.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Not sure if serious...

P.S. I think you need a horse.
I am serious. Ive been up all night and i just took my dog out to pee. I love the out doors. I grew up on a farm with my aunt and my grandmother.

I have learned from my friend many years ago, that the only way to be wealthy, is to "respect" every dollar that you earn. If you dont respect the money, then you will never be rich.

And when i said i cook for my dog, i literally cook for my dog. If you came over for lunch, you wouldn't know the difference between the food i prepared for her and the food i prepared for you. She(my dog) eats and is treated as part of the family. And im a fucking awesome cook! Your 4 star restaurant wish they had me as a chef.

My mentality as how i treat her, and you more then welcome to laugh at it; but she gets the best before me. Simply because my dog cant go out and work 40 hours a week to earn her own meal.
Its hard to explain, but you would need a dog in your life for few years to understand the relationship.

Plus, when we bike to grocery store, i save money on gas. Same money i can use to buy her treats or beer for my self, a pair of jeans or a shirt. So why waste money on gas?

Last edited by KGB7; 05-07-2011 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Legion5

Perhaps we can combine our forces buying used cars. Im all for it, but it would be tough to pass it to my partner, because he counts every cent.

PM me.

Last edited by KGB7; 05-07-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Bottom line, if you want to make money... you have to put in the hours.

The problem is that people in this day and age have this crazy sense of entitlement where they feel society just owes them something for contributing nothing. Not saying that's you by any stretch, just saying that your situation is very normal for a high salary job.

Trust me, 99,9% of those people you think are living the dream (the ones who are driving the nice cars, taking expensive vacations and living in the huge houses, but are seemingly only working 20hrs a week) are leveraged to the hilt and probably have tens of thousands of dollars out on credit cards.

If you want to live comfortably, have nice things, and live debt free... that takes constant hard work and the occasional weekend at the office.

Last edited by Feyd; 05-07-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
If you want to live comfortably, have nice things, and live debt free... that takes constant hard work and the occasional weekend at the office.

or have parent's money
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Does playing starcraft 2 at work count as difficult?
      05-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Bottom line, if you want to make money... you have to put in the hours.

The problem is that people in this day and age have this crazy sense of entitlement where they feel society just owes them something for contributing nothing. Not saying that's you by any stretch, just saying that your situation is very normal for a high salary job.

Trust me, 99,9% of those people you think are living the dream (the ones who are driving the nice cars, taking expensive vacations and living in the huge houses, but are seemingly only working 20hrs a week) are leveraged to the hilt and probably have tens of thousands of dollars out on credit cards.

This is so true. There was a local guy who I saw at the gym (that I haven't gone to in almost a year) and lived in my brothers neighborhood, who I thought had the world by the tail. He was always driving a new Porsche (997tt vert with every option, then rolled into a 997.2 as soon as they came out), he got a new Cayenne S for his girlfriend, big house etc etc. Well, this guy died unexpectedly he was in his 40's while on vacation in Hawaii. As it turns out he owed everybody money, by the time the dust settled his exwife ended up with a bill.

Lately I have become obsessed with the idea of paying off my house. It kills me to see how much I pay in interest every month. If I can stay focused (and not buy a vacation home which I REALLY want) I can get it done in 7 to 10 years without changing my lifestyle....we'll see, I am making my first additional contribution toward principle reduction this month. If the damn economy picks up and I can start getting bonuses again it would be very nice indeed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
...that I haven't gone to in almost a year...
Tell me about it. I worked waaaaaay too many hours this past year and had several injuries that kept me out of the gym (smashed my hand, foot was run over by something, another concussion, etc...).

I think Feyd pretty much hit the nail on the head.
      05-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
I work hard but the pay sucks (military) although I get free health care so im good as of right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

At least you have a job. Some people are shit outta luck. I wouldn't complain. If it's that bad maybe you are in the wrong line of work.
      05-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

If you think fapping in public is difficult...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

My experience has been that 'Working hard' only gets you to a certain point and then it is 'working smarter' that will get you noticed by senior management esp in corporate america.
      05-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by a08335k View Post
My experience has been that 'Working hard' only gets you to a certain point and then it is 'working smarter' that will get you noticed by senior management esp in corporate america.
haha, yup. richard branson didn't even finish high school
      05-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
haha, yup. richard branson didn't even finish high school

Thats one in a billion example.

Majority that dont finish high school, end up working on a farm or working the grill at fast foods.

And its not just about working smart. Its about being in the right place at the right time with a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
I am serious. Ive been up all night and i just took my dog out to pee. I love the out doors. I grew up on a farm with my aunt and my grandmother.

I have learned from my friend many years ago, that the only way to be wealthy, is to "respect" every dollar that you earn. If you dont respect the money, then you will never be rich.

And when i said i cook for my dog, i literally cook for my dog. If you came over for lunch, you wouldn't know the difference between the food i prepared for her and the food i prepared for you. She(my dog) eats and is treated as part of the family. And im a fucking awesome cook! Your 4 star restaurant wish they had me as a chef.

My mentality as how i treat her, and you more then welcome to laugh at it; but she gets the best before me. Simply because my dog cant go out and work 40 hours a week to earn her own meal.
Its hard to explain, but you would need a dog in your life for few years to understand the relationship.

Plus, when we bike to grocery store, i save money on gas. Same money i can use to buy her treats or beer for my self, a pair of jeans or a shirt. So why waste money on gas?
Awesome. We get it.

Our pup eats more of the meals she cooks than she does...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
I work hard but the pay sucks (military) although I get free health care so im good as of right now.
Hopefully, you have earned the respect you deserve as a side benefit and it will open multiple doors when your service is up.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #19
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
Military life in this economy is great as long as you not fighting in a war. You literally dont have to pay for anything. Except for basic hygiene products and hair cuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #20
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a madman.

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week in the desert. It's not hard work, but the hours suck. Also means I only get to drive my car 2-3 weeks in a year. The rest of the time, I'm thousands of miles away.
      05-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #21
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

I have a difficult job but the pay is good so I have no complaint.

Work smart and you'll be okay.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #22
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidkaos View Post
Work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week in the desert. It's not hard work, but the hours suck. Also means I only get to drive my car 2-3 weeks in a year. The rest of the time, I'm thousands of miles away.
what do you do?

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0