BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

04-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Anybody own a Flying Spur Speed?

Hey
was wondering if any of you guys have/had a Bentley Flying Spur, or the Speed edition specifically?
Any comments/cautions, musts/dos/don'ts?

2011 would be ideal, but any input and feelings about the car would be appreciated.

thanks for the input in advance

Nick.
      04-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Are you in the market for one?
yes
      04-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
donsgolf2012
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
they are fast, but they are also very heavy.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Dude, congrats! Since you are in that price range already, do you consider anything else? Aston? SLS?
thanks, man

asking here, for opinions of fellow car enthusiasts.

no, it isnt replacing the M or anything - so we are looking for something heavy and coushy for my family.

We don't need another "sports car" - it has to be comfortable enough to get my grandfather around in (all our cars are failing). And yet, okay enough for a lady to drive during the rest of the year (he is only here for three months). And a little fun for me on the weekends...plus the Speed has a much nicer stance, and the dealer has a one in the color/options we want (more or less).

We went to see a Maybach 57; he loved it for his purpose, but its too unreasonable for all of us to drive once he leaves - plus it is not even a true five seater.

Aston's are too low and uncomfortable - tried the rapide, no way (loved it though).

S-class is great as usual, we are fans.

Rolls is too ostentatious, even the speed is to an extent, but ...less so.

Anyways, going to have the family talk this weekend...and see if its worth it for us

I could post a pick of the one we have chosen if it is of interest to you...

thanks again
nick

Last edited by niqui; 04-15-2011 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

You may want to try the 6speedonline forum, there are some B owners there.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

thks used to be a member there...
      04-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Thats funny. Were looking to get out of a Flying Spur. Considered trading it in for a 750Li. As much as I love BMW's performance handling and known suspension research, the car seems to be fairly firm riding or a little too sporty for such a big cruiser. It isn't the ride of a Bentley that I have become used to. Maybe an Audi A8 L or S63? I am leaning more towards the S63 at the moment. Very cozy
      04-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
J50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Jag XJ Supercharged is really nice, might be worth a look.

Never been a big FS fan, comfortable just don't find them all that entertaining to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

If you're a fan of the S class, why not an S63/S65 AMG?
      04-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
If you're a fan of the S class, why not an S63/S65 AMG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Thats funny. Were looking to get out of a Flying Spur. Considered trading it in for a 750Li. As much as I love BMW's performance handling and known suspension research, the car seems to be fairly firm riding or a little too sporty for such a big cruiser. It isn't the ride of a Bentley that I have become used to. Maybe an Audi A8 L or S63? I am leaning more towards the S63 at the moment. Very cozy
thanks, actually we have had three in a row...so its time for a change - we had one upto 2009 or so. we were ver happy.
i actually suggested it to him when we went to the dealer, but after he sat in the 57, he said i have no interest. And for us, no point getting an AMG s class, the regular s550 would do - we have a cls63 at home now, enough planet rape on its own.

not an audi fan at all personally - and we have a 745, that he doesnt really like...not a huge bmw family either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Jag XJ Supercharged is really nice, might be worth a look.

Never been a big FS fan, comfortable just don't find them all that entertaining to drive.
thanks, agreed. when we were shopping last summer for a new sedan we looked at this quite throughly. ended up getting a panamera instead. but nice car for sure.

----

thanks for all the input guys. we actually planned to originally lease an affordable little suv, but that was too high and uncomfy. and then started speccing out reasonably cars and everything was coming out to like 55k at least for nothing great, so we started shopping around all over the place.
      04-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maserati Quattroporte? Or the Porsche Panamera Turbo S?
thanks
but both cars are brutally uncomfortable/too low for him

for you and I, they are brilliant

we have a 2011 panamera - he hates it

he is the main constraint - it is hard for him to get in and out of cars, and he likes a ride that you cant feel at all (like the old caddy's)...

thanks, and yeah, im not sure if the new maser body is out yet, i know its coming this year for the 4 door...it was between the maser, the xjs, and the panamera when we were shopping last year (so you guys are right on the money for my tastes)....
      04-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Why not a big lexus, they probably have one of the best rides out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

thanks guys
im not a big lexus fan////

now he says he wants something with a bit more height....i give up...

thanks

ill post a pick of wtv we get haha
      04-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I have driven ny nephews FS. It is certainly no sports car but it is very fast and surprising agille for a car of its size and weight.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

I wish this was a delimna I had to face....... lol Hmmm I wonder what 1/4 of million dollar car I should buy today???
      04-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

I don't know about you, but I would feel uncomfortable rocking a high profile car like that. I would go with a loaded S550 or S600.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

My father is similar in tastes to whoever you are buying this car for. He has a Pan TT and a S63 and to keep the long story short he drives the S63 more because it is more comfortable and usable for everyday driving. As much as you don't want to hear it, the S may very well be the BEST choice for your family member as well but if you wanted to try somethign new I can see how a flying spur would be a great choice. Honestly, we tried to convince my father to get a Bentley CGT or a flying spur when he was shopping around but he didn't want to attract a lot of attention.

Oh and there is always the 7..
      04-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
VenomBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

How many cars do you have? Haha. I doubt there's anyone on this form as wealthy as you and I don't think any of us would recommend you a Maybach. Truth be told it's a really expensive S-class and doesn't look too much different, besides the length and luxury though. I'd recommend you the Bentley Flying Spur but why do you need such a car for a man that'll be living with you for only three months??? But Maserati's are a bit clunky in my opinion so I doubt the man would like the ride. A Porsche and Aston are amazing but definitley not as comfortable as a Rolls Royce or Bentley Spur. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #19
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

What about the BMW 550i GT? Taller than, and about the same size as a non-Li 7 with the standard wheelbase
      04-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

So your family doesnt like BMW, Audi, Lexus, or Porsche.. and tired of Benz..

He needs something tall with a floaty ride..

Well, search no more because I have the car for you.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
So your family doesnt like BMW, Audi, Lexus, or Porsche.. and tired of Benz..

He needs something tall with a floaty ride..

Well, search no more because I have the car for you.

not true, but i know how we sound. they are not amazed by the panamera, but it is not the right car for them, its my fault i pushed it. Benz we like. BMW, half the family likes other doesnt. Audi never liked, but after trying the new a8l im changing over...trust me, we have all been extremely frustrated with this car hunt. looked at everything from jeep patriots and ford edges, to lincolns and maybachs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
My father is similar in tastes to whoever you are buying this car for. He has a Pan TT and a S63 and to keep the long story short he drives the S63 more because it is more comfortable and usable for everyday driving. As much as you don't want to hear it, the S may very well be the BEST choice for your family member as well but if you wanted to try somethign new I can see how a flying spur would be a great choice. Honestly, we tried to convince my father to get a Bentley CGT or a flying spur when he was shopping around but he didn't want to attract a lot of attention.

Oh and there is always the 7..
thanks, yeah, i think they must be very similar - he hates our panamera...

finally, settled on what you guys all said and what seemed like the rational medium (3rd one now, wanted to try something new, but i guess its what fits us); s-class, not amg or anything, just 4matic with the rear comfort packages and stuff for him to be driven... We needed a car that the office staff could drive without major concern (i.e. no flying speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
I wish this was a delimna I had to face....... lol Hmmm I wonder what 1/4 of million dollar car I should buy today???
to be honest not much that is justified - he doesnt truly love cars, its for comfort and function. for some of us, it could be understood to spend that much. but once he realized that none of the cars really made him happy and we are desperate to get one (he cant get to work in our cars) we settled. going to get it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
I don't know about you, but I would feel uncomfortable rocking a high profile car like that. I would go with a loaded S550 or S600.
definitely feel stupid getting the groceries in a maybach....

anyways, thank you all for the input and advice...

ill update the thread tmrw once we decide on the color...
      05-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomBMW View Post
How many cars do you have? Haha. I doubt there's anyone on this form as wealthy as you and I don't think any of us would recommend you a Maybach. Truth be told it's a really expensive S-class and doesn't look too much different, besides the length and luxury though. I'd recommend you the Bentley Flying Spur but why do you need such a car for a man that'll be living with you for only three months??? But Maserati's are a bit clunky in my opinion so I doubt the man would like the ride. A Porsche and Aston are amazing but definitley not as comfortable as a Rolls Royce or Bentley Spur. Good luck!
haha, my parking lot is not as impressive as half the guys on here... but thanks for the kind words

and i agree 99% on the maybach, it is an sclass on crack.
250k, i could marginally understand, very marginally.

450k on the otherhand...and i have never seen wheel wells that large, i felt like a mobster in there.

agree with pretty much everyhting u said after seeing them all...now i know what supersedan i would buy when i want one...