BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Something exploded...

Was driving on the freeway today while listening to SAT Radio and I heard a really loud "pop" noise coming from the speakers. Sounded like it was coming from the rear left speaker and they all went mute.

I thought my speakers exploded from the California heat, it was 105 F outside. I tried to turn the volume knob and the music came back on. I played with it a lil bit by turning the volume up and down to see if all the speakers were working fine, and they all did. So I thought it was just a stone chip that hit the shark fin and caused some signal lost.

Everything seemed fine untill about 15 mins later, the same thing happened. It scared the shit out of me... This time I really believe that there's something wrong with the electric components in the car. But music came right back when I adjust the volume knob...

Anyone experienced the same problem?

My guess:

1. The SAT radio lost signal and the loud "pop" were coming from the speakers due to the lost of signal.

2. Something phucking exploded! A fuse?

3. Anything to do with my hardwired V1?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
There are times when I listen to loud music for prolonged periods of time, my radio would go silent for a good 10min and then it will start back up again.

No POP though. In my case I believe it may be the amp overheating. You should look into it, perhaps take it to the dealer. I'm always wanting to take mine but I get lazy :-p
I'll miss my car too much.
      07-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
Was driving on the freeway today while listening to SAT Radio and I heard a really loud "pop" noise coming from the speakers. Sounded like it was coming from the rear left speaker and they all went mute.

I thought my speakers exploded from the California heat, it was 105 F outside. I tried to turn the volume knob and the music came back on. I played with it a lil bit by turning the volume up and down to see if all the speakers were working fine, and they all did. So I thought it was just a stone chip that hit the shark fin and caused some signal lost.

Everything seemed fine untill about 15 mins later, the same thing happened. It scared the shit out of me... This time I really believe that there's something wrong with the electric components in the car. But music came right back when I adjust the volume knob...

Anyone experienced the same problem?

My guess:

1. The SAT radio lost signal and the loud "pop" were coming from the speakers due to the lost of signal.

2. Something phucking exploded! A fuse?

3. Anything to do with my hardwired V1?
no error codes? I don't think it could have had anything to do with the SAT radio losing signal but then again I could be wrong...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
tailgate1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan Silverstone II

This is a known problem with enhanced premium audio in cars built before 4/08 - the amplifier doesn't have a fan and overheats, causing the sound to cut out and in some cases make a loud popping noise as if your windshield was hit with a rock. It is especially bad on hot days.

There is a TSB out on this and a fix under warranty. See below.

SI B65 24 08
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRS December 2008
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Audio System Is Intermittently Inoperative
MODEL
E90 *(M3 Sedan)
E92 *(M3 Coupe)
E93 *(M3 Convertible)
E60 *(M5 Sedan)
*with option 752 (INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SYSTEM)
Vehicles produced up to March 2008
SITUATION
Intermittently, the audio system is inoperative.
CAUSE
The amplifier for the M Individual Audio System overheats and turns off. The affected amplifiers are not equipped with a cooling fan.
CORRECTION
Install an improved amplifier (including a cooling fan) for the M Individual Audio System.
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
65 12 7 842 409
Amplifier for M Individual Audio System
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Defect Code:
65 12 31 42 00
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
65 12 072*
Refer to KSD
Removing and installing amplifier
*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Thanks. I finally have an explanation for the faint, fan-like noise heard at the left rear wheel well of the car after shut-down. It's very subtle and can only be heard in a quiet environment like a garage. There was a thread here a few months ago, and no one really knew what it was, but it appears to be the fan in the amp.
      07-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Well, I also reported a momentary BLAST at full volume not long ago, but my car is an 06/08 build. And it happened just 5 minutes after leaving home, and at moderate volume.
In my case I lowered the volume in the steering wheel right after hitting 'CD' (from 'SAT') on iDrive. As I was doing that, BOOM! It's obviously a software issue more than equipment malfunction, but I want that resolved. Hasn't happened again, but don't use the car much. I'll wait until my next 'low mileage' oil change in 10 months to try to get the software downloaded (hopefully improved). Glad to learn there's a second person who experienced the same BOOM! .
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
this happened to me the first day i got the car. i think in a year it happened around 5-7 times. scares the shit out of me since it's usually fucking loud and unexpected
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
this happened to me the first day i got the car. i think in a year it happened around 5-7 times. scares the shit out of me since it's usually fucking loud and unexpected
I thought a meteoroid hit my car....

Well I will bring the car to the dealership since it's a fix under warranty then. Thanks for the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
When I lose my SAT signal (which happens when I pass under any freeway overpass) it just goes silent, much like when you get an incoming call. No loud pop associated with SAT loss of signal here.
      07-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
Have you noticed any patterns?

I thought my episode was triggered by lowering volume at the same time the radio was changing modes (it does take a second or two to switch), which might have 'confused' it . Similar to hitting a stereo button when a CD is loading and it jams. I'm not touching anything until modes are changed for now on, but doubt that was the culprit. Just curious about any similarities in your 7 episodes. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Thanks. I finally have an explanation for the faint, fan-like noise heard at the left rear wheel well of the car after shut-down. It's very subtle and can only be heard in a quiet environment like a garage. There was a thread here a few months ago, and no one really knew what it was, but it appears to be the fan in the amp.
That doesn't explain it.. I have that noise and my car is pre 4/08 and doesn't have premium sound!
      07-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
That doesn't explain it.. I have that noise and my car is pre 4/08 and doesn't have premium sound!
I am in the same boat as you, but doesn't the standard sound also have amps? I would love to know exactly what the humming sound is?
      07-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
VP M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Looking for something new

Pop

I got the same sound from my E90 M3 03/08 build date the other day several times. It is really loud and scares the shit out of me! It sounds like a stone hitting the windshield at speed.

I think it occured both times while I was trying to make a call using the bluetooth hookup.

I will be going in for a required service soon and will people know the story.

vico
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #14
kooolaid
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

Me too. 05/08 built no premium sound. Bought as new last week, and heard it twice. First one was really loud bang! So my reaction was to look into left side mirror to see if I ran over something. But couldn't see anything on the ground. Second one was moderate.

I will be taking my car for 1st maintenance in a couple of weeks, I think...so I'll post any updates later.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I also heard it exactly once and within the first week after delivery in 3/09 (4/08 build). It has not re-occurred, to date.