BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #45
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

At what RPM are the shift lights suppose to start lighting up?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #46
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
At what RPM are the shift lights suppose to start lighting up?

Thanks
From what I can make out they vary depending on which gear you are in and how quickly the revs are climbing.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #47
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
I am a very happy M-DCT owner, and sure there have been like 3 glitches in several months of driving. Nothing that ever put me in harms way. BMW will make things right.

Just enjoy the car, and enough with all the negativity
That's my opinion too.

Most of the time i drive in automatic modus. The only thing that happened a few times in the 6000km we drove allready, is that the car looses power when you are slowing down to 2nd gear and than push the throttle. But, as if allready said, it only happened a few times...

What i also experiance is that the gearbox does not shift back smooth when the gearbox is still cold.

But... For the rest this gearbox is a dream for me. I love automatic gearboxes and this M-DCT is a jewel...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #48
impulsoren
Rep
Drives: Several cars

After reading all of these posts, a few things come to mind:

1. Tachometers are not always accurate. Search for BMW speedometer accuracy and then think about how far off the tach could be at redline. If you inadvertently hit the rev limit right as you hit the paddle, of course it will lag for a second. That's user error, as someone already mentioned. Buy an aftermarket tach if you want accuracy. That is for almost any car, regardless of price, unless it is designed for the track like an Elise.

2. BMW will not be sued for an accident due to shift lag. I have been in an accident that could have been prevented if the tranny shifted faster (Buicks don't shift into reverse very fast, because the common buyers don't have the best reflexes and need some time to think before things happen). The manufacturer built that lag in for a reason, and if you are driving the car you should know it is there.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #49
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I have 6 months and 7600 miles with zero issues on the street. Once I had a pause in acceleration as the car shifted from 2 to 1 by itself as I was approacing a stop but then accelerated. The pause was about .5 of a second. I considered this normal operation of the transmission.

I have experienced the downshift ignore issue under heavy braking on the track.
      10-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #50
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsoren View Post
After reading all of these posts, a few things come to mind:

2. BMW will not be sued for an accident due to shift lag. I have been in an accident that could have been prevented if the tranny shifted faster.
That Sir is a very true statement.
However if my one minute old NEW E93 STALLED on the way home from the dealership, three times later, and I got hurt, you can bet your sweet ass I would be the first one to file a MULTI MILLION dollar lawsuit against BMW.

I think you are confusing lag due to driver ERROR hitting the rev limiter EG, or any other reason and the car stopping and going dead in the middle of the street like it did to me and a few others on the forum!

Were talking two different things here! NOT performance, but SAFETY.

Scott

Last edited by Captain Scott; 10-04-2008 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0