BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

My first experience with an ESS SC'ed M3...

My apologies, this is long overdue...

I've always been one of those enthusiasts that has flirted with the idea of Super Charging my M3. That being said, I'm also one of those "seeing is believing" types! It's all fine and good on paper and in videos, but there was no way i was ever going to take the plunge without actually seeing first hand what one can do.

Rewind to March...somehow I had the "good luck" of being referred to "IMG", aka Islam. We texted a few times and decided to meet up one Saturday so I could check out his IB e90 VT2-600 (at the time).

First thing you notice about IMG's car is the tone of his Gintani Race exhaust and challenge pipe. Talk about loud and aggressive...this thing sounds insane! I followed him to a place where I was able to park and leave my car for a bit. Jumped into his car and proceeded to cruise around town towards the highway.

From outside and inside the cabin, i noticed no audible evidence of a Super Charger kit. I suppose if you stand and listen closely you can hear the distinct whine of the SC, but it's nothing bothersome, IMHO.

Driving "normally" around town...again...not much indication that there is this beast that lives under the hood, waiting to be unleashed. Fast forward a bit to the highway entrance... Islam proceeds to gradually push the throttle up past 4k... WOW...was all i could say. I think i said it a few times in fact. This thing pulled like a friggin freight train above 4k....5k, 6k...we were into triple digits in no time. This car was eating up the open road...and in a hurry!

A few more exits, we loop back around and Islam pulls onto the shoulder. I'm thinking something is wrong... He jumps out and tells me to switch places with him. I was shocked...I thought it was pretty cool of someone I just met to hand me the keys to his car... Not sure I would do the same, but he's cool like that!

I'm a pretty respectable guy though...and i didn't plan to push his car hard...but it was nice to actually get a chance to feel it from the drivers seat. What an absolute beast of a car... The delivery feels "stock-like"...so linear and smooth...again, after 4k...this car is transformed into a whole different beast. It just pulls and pulls....HARD!

Needless to say, I was sold on ESS...and it didn't take much! As many may know, Islam is a devout ESS supporter...once you feel this kit on a car, first hand, there's no questioning why that is. It's an insane setup...one which I plan to have sooner than later!

Thanks again for the test drive Izzy!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!

Last edited by chris s; 06-14-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M760xi

Whenever ur ready....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
chris s
Major General
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

I think its been a while Chris since that test drive,i think u need another ride with the updated Tune !!!!
I will most likely sell u a kit while u r in the car,hahahah
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
I think its been a while Chris since that test drive,i think u need another ride with the updated Tune !!!!
I will most likely sell u a kit while u r in the car,hahahah
True, true... This weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Thanks for the little review! I'm getting the ESS 535 kit later next month... I can't wait!
No prob... Good luck with yours. You must be psyched!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

That thing is a beast!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
Whenever ur ready....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Good write up...Im pretty sure I said 'wow', and 'holy shit' a few times the first time I was in his car too.

Yep...it was definitely a 'wow' followed by a few choice words....then repeated. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the review! What I like is that you describe the driving experience and power deliver as "stock-like." For a guy that tracks his car, this is something that has always been a crucial characteristic for me. I am a pretty diehard N/A guy, simply because of the power delivery, predictability, and smoothness. Seeing all these ESS SC'd E46 and E90s is definitely quite tempting.

Hopefully one day, I'll be able to experience the boost just as you all have...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the little review! I'm getting the ESS 535 kit later next month... I can't wait!
535 Kit with the 4.10 should be fun !!! Good Luck !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Thanks! I'm actually tempted to get the 575 kit... but then I'd probably have to get cup sports to make it work with the 4:10 gearing...
Honestly I would go w/ the 575, thats what ima do here in like a year or two...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Brooklyn Mark
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR E92 DCT

I am getting a 600 kit installed right now
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I'm actually tempted to get the 575 kit... but then I'd probably have to get cup sports to make it work with the 4:10 gearing...
I would say that it would be hard to hook with a 4.10 and a 575 but also ur tire setup is a big factor and the way u drive ur car !!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Mark View Post
I am getting a 600 kit installed right now
Noice !!!!!!
Congrats !!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Wouldnt you know!
Haha
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah.. would probably need at least 295's in the back and some real sticky tire. By the time I buy new wheels and tires I'm out another $6K at least. I'm already getting a new bumper... so I might just stick with the 535 kit.
I hear u man,adds up pretty quick !!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #17
jeff.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: G80

So my turn here...

I had the opportunity as well to meet up with both chris s and img this evening. I'm sure I'm on the same boat as many who are contemplating on getting a supercharger kit. I figured, the only way I can make a decision is if I can see one for myself. I asked Islam if I could see his setup and he kindly offered to meet up today. I pull in and see Chris' clean e92 and Islam's e90 beast parked outside the driveway. By the way, I'm forever jealous of those LMs on your M3 Chris.

Islam talked about a few of his mods then said to lock up my car that we are going on a test drive. He started it up and I didn't expect how deep the grumble of his exhaust was. All three of us are in and off we go. He went easy on the car until we got onto the onramp and then he ripped it up. I immediately went from to .

He did a few WOT pulls and that thing MOVES! Under 4K rpm, you would only think he has an aftermarket exhaust, but then he hits the gas and all of a sudden it's a totally different animal. After we circle around, Islam pulls over. In my head, I'm like hmm, what's going on here. Before I knew it, I was in the driver's seat! Similiar to Chris' experience and feeling, I was excited but really didn't want to open it up as it was not my car. I briefly went into boost and once again I went from to !

We get back to Chris' house, talk a bit more. Islam has some hilarious and crazy stories! To conclude this long post, I was sold. ESS, here I come.

Islam - thanks again for educating me on basically everything and for letting me drive your car; I can't believe (especially with all those serious mods) that you'd let me, someone you just met, take your car for a quick spin.

Chris - thank you too for your help bro. We go through several texts and finally I can make one of the things that I constantly talk about actually come true, haha.

ESS =
Islam's e90 =
2008 E92 M3 Jerez/Bamboo: SOLD | 2011 E92 M3 Alpine White/Fox Red: SOLD | 2016 F80 M3 Santorini Blue/Amaro Brown: SOLD | 2015 F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue/Black Novillo: SOLD | 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White/Black Novillo: SOLD | 2023 G80 M3 Atlantis Blue/Kyalami Orange
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #18
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Im glad you guys have enjoyed the performance of our supercharger systems. We have and will continue to put a lot of hard work into delivering the best performance products we can.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92 M3 View Post
So my turn here...

I had the opportunity as well to meet up with both chris s and img this evening. I'm sure I'm on the same boat as many who are contemplating on getting a supercharger kit. I figured, the only way I can make a decision is if I can see one for myself. I asked Islam if I could see his setup and he kindly offered to meet up today. I pull in and see Chris' clean e92 and Islam's e90 beast parked outside the driveway. By the way, I'm forever jealous of those LMs on your M3 Chris.

Islam talked about a few of his mods then said to lock up my car that we are going on a test drive. He started it up and I didn't expect how deep the grumble of his exhaust was. All three of us are in and off we go. He went easy on the car until we got onto the onramp and then he ripped it up. I immediately went from to .

He did a few WOT pulls and that thing MOVES! Under 4K rpm, you would only think he has an aftermarket exhaust, but then he hits the gas and all of a sudden it's a totally different animal. After we circle around, Islam pulls over. In my head, I'm like hmm, what's going on here. Before I knew it, I was in the driver's seat! Similiar to Chris' experience and feeling, I was excited but really didn't want to open it up as it was not my car. I briefly went into boost and once again I went from to !

We get back to Chris' house, talk a bit more. Islam has some hilarious and crazy stories! To conclude this long post, I was sold. ESS, here I come.

Islam - thanks again for educating me on basically everything and for letting me drive your car; I can't believe (especially with all those serious mods) that you'd let me, someone you just met, take your car for a quick spin.

Chris - thank you too for your help bro. We go through several texts and finally I can make one of the things that I constantly talk about actually come true, haha.

ESS =
Islam's e90 =
Hey Jeff,thanks for the kind words and im glad i was able to help !!!!
mean time u can borrow my car till u get ur kit,hahaha!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #20
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
God... the wait is killing me! Because of very strict banking regulations regarding the savings account (placed by the boss-lady)... I have to wait until next week to finally pull the trigger on the kit. The result of course is that I come up with more, and more goodies I want from IND.

Thanks again for all the write-ups!
Hey man,u need that kit ASAP
u need it like OXYGEN !!!
Gd Luck !!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92 M3 View Post

ESS =
Islam's e90 =
No problem Jeff... Happy to help out!! We'll be boostin' soon enough ourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Im glad you guys have enjoyed the performance of our supercharger systems. We have and will continue to put a lot of hard work into delivering the best performance products we can.
I've got nothing but good things to say Roman...and I don't even have the kit yet!

Quote:
God... the wait is killing me! Because of very strict banking regulations regarding the savings account (placed by the boss-lady)... I have to wait until next week to finally pull the trigger on the kit. The result of course is that I come up with more, and more goodies I want from IND.

Thanks again for all the write-ups!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
jeff.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Hey Jeff,thanks for the kind words and im glad i was able to help !!!!
mean time u can borrow my car till u get ur kit,hahaha!!!
lol hmmm, tempting offer...
2008 E92 M3 Jerez/Bamboo: SOLD | 2011 E92 M3 Alpine White/Fox Red: SOLD | 2016 F80 M3 Santorini Blue/Amaro Brown: SOLD | 2015 F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue/Black Novillo: SOLD | 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White/Black Novillo: SOLD | 2023 G80 M3 Atlantis Blue/Kyalami Orange
Appreciate 0