BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Powerchip Stage II

I spoke with Powerchip Australia and mentioned Stage II software as I'm going to an Akrapovic system soon.

The person I spoke with advised all that will be changed is basically the CEL codes that would normally be thrown...

However I recall a thread (:edit - found it here) a while ago that mentioned either a lean or rich fuelling condition with a catless/high flow X-pipe setup that was resolved by Powerchip Stage II...

Anybody with Powerchip Stage II care to comment?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
So when getting a tune, you can clear CEL and SES for good?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #3
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
That was the indication I got - they advised the front O2 sensors (pre-cat) determine air/fuel ratios for fueling under closed loop operation, whilst the rear O2 sensors are used for monitoring emissions.

Seems like there is a switch or something in the EMS software that ignores or disables rear O2 sensors...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Were they also able to get rid of the dip at low RPM's (that the Akrapovic exhaust created) with stage II or did they leave that one unresolved??

Bump..

Last edited by stylinexpat; 07-29-2009 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I thought the european cars - including Aus and NZ cars - will not suffer from the CEL issue encountered by US cars when used in conjucntion with a complete Akrapovic exhaust system.

I will never trust Powerchip because they can't support any of the claims they make.

Whenever I have asked for hard facts to support their various claims they have backed off and never contacted me. If you're willing to standby your product you must be prepared to support it with hard facts.

I think Powerchip works well on super/turbo charged cars like the Porsches and the BMW 335i. I have seen some amazing figures on the dyno with a Powerchip tuned 335i which almost matched the M3 for power. But with a NA engine I don't think they have the know-how to do what they claim.

Play safe.
      07-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
LOL. Then I guess you've never checked the Dyno Database and looked at it very closely. All of the highest NA dyno charts on this site all are using Powerchip tunes -- whether it's with their name on it, or whether they were contracted by the other company to do it on their behalf.
+1...I've seen Jeremy from Powerchip in action; he definitely knows his way around tuning cars, and he makes great power whether NA or FI.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I thought the european cars - including Aus and NZ cars - will not suffer from the CEL issue encountered by US cars when used in conjucntion with a complete Akrapovic exhaust system.

I will never trust Powerchip because they can't support any of the claims they make.

Whenever I have asked for hard facts to support their various claims they have backed off and never contacted me. If you're willing to standby your product you must be prepared to support it with hard facts.

I think Powerchip works well on super/turbo charged cars like the Porsches and the BMW 335i. I have seen some amazing figures on the dyno with a Powerchip tuned 335i which almost matched the M3 for power. But with a NA engine I don't think they have the know-how to do what they claim.

Play safe.
No the status with Akrapovic is for European models, O2 adapters remove CEL issue (i.e. European model with Akrapovic and stock ECU will throw CEL).

The issue for US models is even with O2 adapters a CEL is thrown with stock ECU.

It's interesting that Powerchip seems to have not the best reputation in Australia - I got the product because being in New Zealand my options are limited and I didn't want a product that required me to ship my ECU off somewhere. Powerchip provided me with the reflashing equipment and I did it all myself.

Butt dyno says it is a good product that matches its claims - however I'm getting new DCT software update next week and will do a dyno on new BMW software and then after with Powerchip Stage II...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
LOL. Then I guess you've never checked the Dyno Database and looked at it very closely. All of the highest NA dyno charts on this site all are using Powerchip tunes -- whether it's with their name on it, or whether they were contracted by the other company to do it on their behalf.
So for someone (me) that will be running high flow cats, midpipe, muffler, filter, and power pulley would you go with the powerchip tune over the AA?
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
yep when i got my tune at Gintani thats exactly what happend.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
+1 Wanna see back up check my dyno's and the other car done at Gintani. Their Generic tune might be a lil mild but its safe for most cars. When it comes to CUSTOM flashes thats where they shine.
Appreciate 0