BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Clear Bra and Mineral White ?

I have just got a nice new Mineral White E92 ZCP.

See old and new cars here....

Bearing in mind the difficulty of matching this colour if any re-painting is required, I am considering having a clear bra installed on the front spoiler (maybe also hood too).

Does anyone have any experience of MW with a clear bra? Is the metallic effect changed by an additional clear covering? Any pictures of protected versus un-protected panels, side by side?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I don't have any pics, but on my wife's car (she has a color similar to MW) we have a clear bra and it looks fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Film will distort a bit of the color but not enough to be a distinctly recognized. The metallic flake and hue of mineral white will show through with film, all films are clear but the level of orange peel varies greatly... more orange peel equals less of the MW color to show through thus making the contrast greater.

Go with Xpel ultimate film if you can as it has a top clear coat to it, there is no use in waxing the ultimate film and it wont yellow. Ventureshield is also a top notch film and very clear with almost no orange peel, that can possibly yellow over time though.

If your worried about film not working out it can easily be removed safely from the car... usually people pull paint off with film if the car has been resprayed or have very thin paint. If you have a good installer he should be able to replace or remove film without damaging the finish at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

I'm wondering about this as well, as I also need a clear bra. I've already had my bumper completely sanded and resprayed, although it took a little more time to complete the job, they matched the colour perfectly. So it is not impossible if anyone else is curious. Unfortunately my options for a professional clear bra install are limited.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

One way to minimize the possible visibility of a change in color of the Clear Bra is to wrap the entire front end of the M3. Covering the front grill/bumper, the entire hood (one piece) and both front fenders. If the car is professionally prepped first and a quality application is done, you won't even know it been done. I did mine and it worked out great, most folks have no idea it's been done.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Detail View Post
Film will distort a bit of the color but not enough to be a distinctly recognized. The metallic flake and hue of mineral white will show through with film, all films are clear but the level of orange peel varies greatly... more orange peel equals less of the MW color to show through thus making the contrast greater.

Go with Xpel ultimate film if you can as it has a top clear coat to it, there is no use in waxing the ultimate film and it wont yellow. Ventureshield is also a top notch film and very clear with almost no orange peel, that can possibly yellow over time though.

If your worried about film not working out it can easily be removed safely from the car... usually people pull paint off with film if the car has been resprayed or have very thin paint. If you have a good installer he should be able to replace or remove film without damaging the finish at all.
Numerous films have top coats on them. Ultimate has some sort of healing top coat.... whether it works or not time will tell. It has only been out a couple of months so you cant predict if it will yellow or not.

On white I would go with Venture Ultra or Avery Nano Fusion... Nano being my first choice since it wont stain.

Here is a white M3 we worked on with the full front wrapped in Ventureshield Ultra.

Name:  IMG_1618.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1623.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1625.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  117.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1626.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  160.1 KB

Last edited by pro-tect mobile; 11-14-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
OerdingE93
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White E93 M3 DCT

I'll vouch for it cuz i have one on my mineral white ///M3 and it's great! Can't even tell it's there unless you look real close at the seem on the hood and fenders...it doesn't take away from the finish at all!

pics

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593885
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
Numerous films have top coats on them. Ultimate has some sort of healing top coat.... whether it works or not time will tell. It has only been out a couple of months so you cant predict if it will yellow or not.

On white I would go with Venture Ultra or Avery Nano Fusion... Nano being my first choice since it wont stain.

Here is a white M3 we worked on with the full front wrapped in Ventureshield Ultra.

Attachment 607922

Attachment 607923

Attachment 607924

Attachment 607925
Looks great. Can't even see the lines.
Appreciate 0