BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
stylelab
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP '11

2011 ZCP 6MT - Grinding noises when changing gears

I wanted to share with you a nice story about a dealer visit I had recently. I purchased a very low mileage 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT a few months ago. It was bought at a BMW dealership and was Certified.

Shortly after buying it, I noticed some grinding between gears when going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. I notified my sales advisor who told me to book an appointment and bring it in and not be worried as it was still on the original warranty and Certified.

I drove it for a few weeks because I needed too!! I had just bought an amazing car and needed to take advantage of it. After reading quite a bit on the transmission issues on this forum, I booked a service appointment with the dealership. The technician came with me on a test drive and right away also noticed the grinding and told me it would probably need a new transmission. I was impressed, expecting a lot of negotiating. My initial intention was to have them take note of the issue in the system so that if it worsens I would be able to get a new transmission before the end of the warranty.

He confirmed to me the following day after the mechanic had taken a look that they ordered a new transmission!! I was really happy! I took advantage of the moment to change the clutch (I would only pay for the clutch and not the work as the transmission was going to be pulled) even though the clutch was still quite good.

I'm really stoked and wanted to share this story as I have been reading a lot of horror stories with dealership and warranty claims!

p.s. The car is currently at the dealer awaiting for the new transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

Cool story! Hope they get you fixed up, good as new.

Did they give you a rental while you're out of a car?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
stylelab
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Yes. They lent me a 2013 320 xdrive. Not the same performance I'm used too but still nice! )
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

If you aren't a cca member (you should be ) get a membership before you pick the car up so you can get a discount on the parts for the clutch that you'll be paying for.
      09-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
stylelab
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
If you aren't a cca member (you should be ) get a membership before you pick the car up so you can get a discount on the parts for the clutch that you'll be paying for.
I'm in Canada so I don't think I can get the membership.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
stylelab
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylelab View Post
I wanted to share with you a nice story about a dealer visit I had recently. I purchased a very low mileage 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT a few months ago. It was bought at a BMW dealership and was Certified.

Shortly after buying it, I noticed some grinding between gears when going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. I notified my sales advisor who told me to book an appointment and bring it in and not be worried as it was still on the original warranty and Certified.

I drove it for a few weeks because I needed too!! I had just bought an amazing car and needed to take advantage of it. After reading quite a bit on the transmission issues on this forum, I booked a service appointment with the dealership. The technician came with me on a test drive and right away also noticed the grinding and told me it would probably need a new transmission. I was impressed, expecting a lot of negotiating. My initial intention was to have them take note of the issue in the system so that if it worsens I would be able to get a new transmission before the end of the warranty.

He confirmed to me the following day after the mechanic had taken a look that they ordered a new transmission!! I was really happy! I took advantage of the moment to change the clutch (I would only pay for the clutch and not the work as the transmission was going to be pulled) even though the clutch was still quite good.

I'm really stoked and wanted to share this story as I have been reading a lot of horror stories with dealership and warranty claims!

p.s. The car is currently at the dealer awaiting for the new transmission.
New transmission and new clutch installed ! I also got a mag repaired while I was there (a sidewalk had attacked my car lol)! The car was cleaned inside and out and waxed. I was really happy to get her back today! The amazing part was that the sale advisor sent me regular updates by text including pictures etc. I was really impressed by the service!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

I also had a fresh tranny installed in August. Second gear syncros. Now dump the OEM oil and get some Redline ATF D4, so the tranny stays happy. The stock oil is IMHO what is causing the syncros from wearing out.