BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
carve29
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3, 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve29
They also announced that turn by turn directions will be available with iOS6. This means that I really don't need a nav system. What do some of you techies that understand all of this think?
Maybe the "nav system" isn't really called that any more in the future and it's really just a system that allows for drivers to integrate their smart phones. Of course, that still requires a screen. The manufacturers still get to sell a high margin option In the car so they are happy and the consumer is happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I see where you're coming from but completely disagree with you, guess it's the dark side in me . Customers should not be beta users. If you're going to advertise a product and put it out on the market it should work and not be glitchy. Sure, everything has minor issues that arise here and there but Apple has dropped the ball quite a bit in the past couple of years yet it seems like everyone gives them a pass. Sorry if I ruined anyone's day with the truth.
You did not ruin my day be asured of this my friend, it's just some of us see it in a different light.

Let me give you my train of thought ...

You agree that Henry Ford was an Innovator without his initiative and many others like him you and I would not be driving around in a nearly perfect car.

Look at this massive steam locumotive then read the very informative description below.

I took those three pictures just over a week ago in the Henry Ford Museum. So if you think about the first Model T and this Steam driven Locomotive that my friend is what I am trying to say, everything starts some place.

Have a super day

Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-11-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #25
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

The article doesn't mention having to have an iPhone for Siri to be integrated into the car--that's the whole point! Not all BMW drivers necessarily own Apple products, and that's why Siri will be independently integrated into the car itself rather than you having to have a phone for it. This shouldn't be hard to do, really. I don't see why it would be "glitchy," because more so than not, it'll be better than any other voice recognition in cars currently available.
      06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Thumbs up Siri Integration for BMW Cars Just Announced by Apple

In today's WWDC, it was clear that Apple is working closely with BMW and select car manufacturers to make apps a staple of connected driving. I look forward to a more useful, but less distracting, integration between Apple and BMW.

BMW leading the charge:

Other Makes:

For folks without Navi, built-in turn-by-turn navigation, with integrated Siri and anonymous, real-time, crow-sourced traffic:

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
Knowing BMW, this feature isn't an update and will require you to buy a newer model. Ugh.
So true, lol.
      06-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
The article doesn't mention having to have an iPhone for Siri to be integrated into the car--that's the whole point! Not all BMW drivers necessarily own Apple products, and that's why Siri will be independently integrated into the car itself rather than you having to have a phone for it.
You can be sure that having an iPhone will be a requirement for using Siri in a BMW. It's not mentioned in our article because it's clearly assumed.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Reckamech
Master of Disaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
You still can't make me buy an iPhone, BMW!
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
LMAO!

Apple doesn't do super glitchy so I'm sure they've found a way.

Best regards,
south
12-months ago I would have agreed with you, but all of my apple devices are not happy with IOS5....a bunch of them now like to freeze, burp, lag and do a whole bunch of other things I had left behind years ago with my old PCs and windows based hardware....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
The article doesn't mention having to have an iPhone for Siri to be integrated into the car--that's the whole point! Not all BMW drivers necessarily own Apple products, and that's why Siri will be independently integrated into the car itself rather than you having to have a phone for it. This shouldn't be hard to do, really. I don't see why it would be "glitchy," because more so than not, it'll be better than any other voice recognition in cars currently available.
, or perhaps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
You can be sure that having an iPhone will be a requirement for using Siri in a BMW. It's not mentioned in our article because it's clearly assumed.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

It's still going to be a while before this integration is complete, but maybe in 3 years, there won't be an iDrive as much as a dock for the iPad. If access to the automotive protocols are shared as openly as the apps themselves, then this could get really interesting.
      06-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve29 View Post
They also announced that turn by turn directions will be available with iOS6. This means that I really don't need a nav system. What do some of you techies that understand all of this think?
I think it's promising, and having turn-by-turn show up even on the lock screen is genius. But then again, I vastly prefer the more integrated look of my iDrive setup (not to mention the much larger display) to having some sort of cradle mount for my phone and charger cable snaking around the dashboard or paying for some sort of hardwire setup.

This definitely wouldn't make me think twice about springing for iDrive, though; I don't even use the navigation feature very much, but I still appreciate having iDrive for the much better entertainment and Bluetooth experience. The easy access it gives to the car's configurable options, service intervals, any fault errors, etc are just a bonus.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 06-11-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #34
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Siri, Get us out of traffic by making the car Fly
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

Nice post!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #36
thatsagoodpoint
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 3

So will this mean full bluetooth integration?
      06-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #37
SirLance99
Rep
Drives: 2001 Mercedes C 320

I DON'T WANT Siri to be in my next BMW or Mercedes

This really is not anything against Apple or Siri. I don't and will not buy their products for personal reasons. Apple is successful in their own right, but why when I buy my next BMW or Mercedes, should I be subjected to a Siri button on my wheel which I'll never use?

I buy a new BMW or Mercedes because it fits me and who I am. Apple, not so much.

The idea is great don't get me wrong. Although, I don't want a button dedicated to Siri on my wheel of my new car reminding me of Apple or Siri.

If they are able to make that said button universal with other well known apps, I would change my stance a little bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
SirLance99
Rep
Drives: 2001 Mercedes C 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA///MES View Post
Nothing is truly flawless, Apple is no exception but it is way better than having to integrate a crappy Android device to your car.
Excuse me my friend, but there are a few Android phones out there that are comparable or better than the iPhone ex: Samsung Galaxy S3(Won best smartphone of the year) and the new Galaxy S3 come to mind. ALL of the new features brought to the iPhone today have been on Android for years.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

This really is not anything against Apple or Siri. I don't and will not buy their products for personal reasons. Apple is successful in their own right, but why when I buy my next BMW or Mercedes, should I be subjected to a Siri button on my wheel which I'll never use?

I buy a new BMW or Mercedes because it fits me and who I am. Apple, not so much.

The idea is great don't get me wrong. Although, I don't want a button dedicated to Siri on my wheel of my new car reminding me of Apple or Siri.

If they are able to make that said button universal with other well known apps, I would change my stance a little bit more.
Well thus far it looks like they'll be repurposing/expanding the existing voice control button to incorporate Siri functionality, so you shouldn't have a dedicated button. But honestly, lots of cars have buttons that some or even most owners never use; it's not as if the unused buttons are hurting the owners in some way. In fact BMW included the iPod Y-cable in all pre-Combox cars equipped with a USB port exclusively for Apple devices, though granted that was easily removed.

No one's saying you have to use every feature, but if there's a mutually beneficial opportunity for two manufacturers to collaborate on an integrated offering to the betterment of both, don't be surprised if they take said opportunity -- even if not everyone who uses one product will use the other. It goes the other way, too; Apple developed the iPod Out function, which to my knowledge has ONLY been leveraged in BMWs so far, and even then only BMWs with the new Apps feature.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 06-11-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
GuhBookGi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Excuse me my friend, but there are a few Android phones out there that are comparable or better than the iPhone ex: Samsung Galaxy S3(Won best smartphone of the year) and the new Galaxy S3 come to mind. ALL of the new features brought to the iPhone today have been on Android for years.
The perennial Android vs iOS debate....

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #41
kiloil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

This is to comply (at least in US) to the no more than 6 click rule and distractions on dashboards.
      06-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
tonmonde
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22

Quote:

Done. Just don't check the ZSIRI $250 option next time you order
      06-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #43
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I see where you're coming from but completely disagree with you, guess it's the dark side in me . Customers should not be beta users. If you're going to advertise a product and put it out on the market it should work and not be glitchy. Sure, everything has minor issues that arise here and there but Apple has dropped the ball quite a bit in the past couple of years yet it seems like everyone gives them a pass. Sorry if I ruined anyone's day with the truth.
LOL.

You must have never worked for a hardware/software company if you think Apple has a lot of glitches. You sounds like a power-user that goes nuts when advanced features don't work properly.

Back on topic - I think it's a cool feature; although I am somewhat surprised that BMW is willing to commit to a roadmap that is so tied to a specific company's technology; even if that company is currently leading the market.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note; I don't personally like a million buttons on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #44
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Another reminder

This is just another sad reminder that they have moved the volume and phone controls to the WRONG side of the steering wheel on newer models.
Appreciate 0