BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #45
apme123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000

this car is a blast, whether you get an ap1 or ap2. An s2000 is one of those vehicles where you are one with the car. You absolutely cant go wrong!

here are some pics of mine

you can see my friends matte black E93 328i in the background of the 2nd and 3rd pic, and the last one is after a canyon run with a couple of buddies

There is no engine like it in the world, and there is no gearbox like it in the world. There is no car like it in the world.

its an absolute blast, especially an Ap1. I have 100k on mine and it has been bulletproof. Just oil and fluids and tire and brakes. If you buy one the only thing you will regret is selling it. This suzuka blue is my 2nd s2000 and I couldn't be more happy

Last edited by apme123; 07-26-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #46
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

I have a buddy who has had a late model(last year they made them) for about a year now, its in pretty immaculate condition. He's been toying with the idea of selling it for a while now(opposite of you, wants to have something more practical), I'll ask if he's still wanting to. Personally I love driving it, its a blast. Shifter is perfect, decent power, excellent handling. He pretty much daily drove his with the exception of really bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #47
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

It won't have the same thrills as your sti or Shelby, the s2k doesn't have much torque and has to be rev pass 6k where it shines the most. When you do though it is quite the experience and with the top down its a blast to drive.
      07-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #48
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I hate shifting my S2k !

and this is why, every shift hurts like a bitch

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #49
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 S2K, e92, 5.0

great summary gonick. I can't agree with you more...even tho i didnt' get to spend as much time in it, just a little over an hour. But feeling "connected" and falling into the seats, hand falls on the shifter all bring the driver closer to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonick View Post
I had an s2000 before my 335i and I still miss that car so much.

It's hard to explain but you just feel so much more connected to the car in the s2000. You are totally involved in driving it and the way it responds to your every input is so precise. Turn in is so sharp and the cars body is so flat. Brakes and steering are also very precise and inspire confidence The transmission is just so perfect too. The car just begs you to drive it hard. I like the simplicity of the cockpit and how you fall into the car instead of stepping into it. I like how every control is within reach even when your hands are on the steering wheel. You get a sense that the car was made with such a narrow focus on driver enjoyment as compared to the 335i which is more a jack of all trades. You also feel like you a driving something special, a handmade car with a truly unique engine. I miss revving the f20c to its 9000 rpm redline with the top down. The sound it makes will give you goosebumps. It is also the epitome of Honda reliability. I only had to do routine maintenance and I felt like the car could last forever if taken care off. The s2000 has also IMO aged very well and still looks very modern.

Downsides? It's not terribly practical. It can also beat you up if it's a daily driver... You have to exert effort driving the car. It makes you work unlike a 335i were you can just cruise for miles and miles. There is a lot of noise coming into the cabin because of the soft top. Wind noise, tire noise, engine noise, transmission, rocks and pavement. The car is really raw.

Also the steering wheel is a bit small.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #50
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Great minds think alike what year STi did u have?

I have Mpkg/Sport suspension on my 328i...it is pretty solid. Compliant, comfortable and handles well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaXNTiGA View Post
Man, I'm in the same position as you. Although I don't got the cash for it now, I want an S2K in the long run.

I had a '94 Miata, that was A LOT of fun. The only thing I don't like about the S2K is the bar in the middle of the foot rest - both driver and passenger seat. It's not a bar, but more of an indent in the chassis? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

What a coincidence, I had a '07 STi myself! You are saying the exact things I am. I had my BMW for a few weeks. The BMW is a great all rounder, but want something more.... say... raw.

I'm tempted to start modding my suspension on the 328i to see if I would be content... by then, I would definitely need some better seats too. *sigh should have bought a one with the sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #51
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks man. I remember seeing your post when you had just purchased your 335i, and I recall folks here were specifically commenting on your CR. Great combination you have there pal, you should feel lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard29 View Post
I am a big fan of the S2k, I personally have a 08 S2k CR that I run at the track. It has been modified for track use but wouldn't want to daily it every day. My DD is my E92 335i M sport 6spd. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about the S2k.

[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #52
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Nothing beats top down! My Shelby was a 'vert, with that toxic exhaust note (aftermarket exhaust) it was probably some of the most fun I had in a car. I didn't want to keep that for too long, 13mpg ain't pretty.

STi was fun as well, and is the main reason that I'm checking out S2K's...a driver's car.

And I do think since this car needs to be over 6k rpm, it inevitably makes the driver feel "exerted" to drive. But I'm sure for those that are used to/like it, it's just the matter getting used to it. I remember getting back in the 328, subconsciously trying to drive like I was just driving the S2k, revving the engine and what not... although silky smooth, it wasn't the same. "Thrill" is a good word to describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2slow206 View Post
It won't have the same thrills as your sti or Shelby, the s2k doesn't have much torque and has to be rev pass 6k where it shines the most. When you do though it is quite the experience and with the top down its a blast to drive.

Last edited by notasensei; 07-26-2012 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #53
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

sorry for spamming the thread here but appreciate the feedback! Looks like there are many guys on there were "ex-s2k-er" !! I would like to add though, I think there are some "common" issues with the S2000, one of them being driver's wheel bearing are somewhat problematic, I searched on S2Ki and found many threads related to it. But then again I guess all cars have their sore spots (*cough BMW electronics *cough) The reason I bring it up because the car I test drove had an apparent "clicking" noise coming from driver side rear ...supposedly a common problem.

I am still looking around and I think if I find a good S2K I may hop on it. I remember when I used to drive the STi, I didn't really pay much respect to those in S2K...now when I see one I can't take my eyes off of it, only imagining if I was driving one!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #54
gonick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Clicking from the rear could be a loose axle nut. Its a common problem and an easy and cheap fix if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #55
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

As some members already said. The s2k is an amazing car for what it is. I would only buy one if i wanted to get a dedicated track car. For a stunning all rounder, i would choose the Z4M Coupe. The best of both worlds
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #56
ziggy55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Two totally different beast...I came from an AP2 before I got my 06 E90. I needed more space and the livability of a 4 door so that is the reason I jumped into a sports sedan. Long story short, the S2000 is a great automobile that deserves a great deal of respect via handling prowess, connectivity of driver with machine, reliability and pure driving pleasure. I truly do miss my 06 S, I DD her without any problems and so far way more reliable when compared to my 330i (currently gotta fix steering angle sensor, door actuator, driver mid range speaker...) Overall the s2000 is great as a 2nd vehicle or a fun car to take out, it is possible to DD (as I mentioned before) but with the limited 2 seats and lack of luggage space I began to see the impracticalities the car possessed. I would very highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that wants a reliable, somewhat quick and most of all great handling sports car. If you have any questions regarding the S, i'll give my honest opinion. Subscribed!

AP2 Love
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #57
Biohazard29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2slow206 View Post
FYI, if you have the car tuned like I have you can change the entire way it drives. This car is not about speed, it is about driving. When I run on the road courses I can beat almost all of the cars that are faster than the the S because anyone can put their foot down on the pedal and go fast in a straight line, but in the corners it is a whole different world. Maintaining momentum and being smooth is key.

With tuning, My low cam for vtec kicks in at 3700 rpm. I don't have to ring the motor out, cause I am always in the power band and never dip out of it.

2011/335i Msport/ 6sp Manual/ K&N filter/ Akrapovic Evo Exhaust System/ FORGE FMIC/ Cobb Stage 1 + FMIC
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #58
BabyrayS2k
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by apme123 View Post
this car is a blast, whether you get an ap1 or ap2. An s2000 is one of those vehicles where you are one with the car. You absolutely cant go wrong!

here are some pics of mine

you can see my friends matte black E93 328i in the background of the 2nd and 3rd pic, and the last one is after a canyon run with a couple of buddies

There is no engine like it in the world, and there is no gearbox like it in the world. There is no car like it in the world.

its an absolute blast, especially an Ap1. I have 100k on mine and it has been bulletproof. Just oil and fluids and tire and brakes. If you buy one the only thing you will regret is selling it. This suzuka blue is my 2nd s2000 and I couldn't be more happy
Suzuka Blue FTW.

Had an ap1 and an ap2. I prefer the ap2. Just a little easier to drive but still raw. The most fun I have ever had driving a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #59
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasensei View Post
sorry for spamming the thread here but appreciate the feedback! Looks like there are many guys on there were "ex-s2k-er" !! I would like to add though, I think there are some "common" issues with the S2000, one of them being driver's wheel bearing are somewhat problematic, I searched on S2Ki and found many threads related to it. But then again I guess all cars have their sore spots (*cough BMW electronics *cough) The reason I bring it up because the car I test drove had an apparent "clicking" noise coming from driver side rear ...supposedly a common problem.

I am still looking around and I think if I find a good S2K I may hop on it. I remember when I used to drive the STi, I didn't really pay much respect to those in S2K...now when I see one I can't take my eyes off of it, only imagining if I was driving one!

Cheers
Its a loose axle nut, needs to be re-torqued
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #60
33beto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: R.I.P. 08 E90 328i/GM 6L45E

Plenty room on that engine bay for a small block

R.I.P 10/14/12
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #61
LaXNTiGA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasensei View Post
Great minds think alike what year STi did u have?

I have Mpkg/Sport suspension on my 328i...it is pretty solid. Compliant, comfortable and handles well.
Yooo, I had a 2007 STi in SWP (Hawkeye).
It came with aps tbe and a cobb intake.

I took it to cobb and got a protune for it and the stage 2 intake (just added the box really lol). It was fun! I did sways, new rotors and pads w/ ss lines all around. Fun little car. Pretty fast too.

I miss the torque really, the STi has a sense of urgency compared to the NA engines where you have to crank it up. AWD Turbo really launches you from a stop.

I made the right choice though, I wanted something more classy, comfortable and a car I can turn the AC on and not have to worry about. I get twice the MPG than the STi too. No more ricers or dumb truck drivers wanting to go, revving their engine at me. No more stupid AUDI fanboy's trying to race me on the highway (what's the point? See who can get their license suspended first?).

Since I'm back on the other side, the grass is starting to look more green on the other side. I think I'm just going to pick up a Miata again, to whip around on nice days.

There are fun cars, and then there are fun convertibles. Anyone who drove their vert top down on a nice cool night with clear skies down a little nice path knows exactly what I'm talking about. Car, you, fresh cool air, the stars above you, attacking them corners, shear driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #62
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard29 View Post
FYI, if you have the car tuned like I have you can change the entire way it drives. This car is not about speed, it is about driving. When I run on the road courses I can beat almost all of the cars that are faster than the the S because anyone can put their foot down on the pedal and go fast in a straight line, but in the corners it is a whole different world. Maintaining momentum and being smooth is key.

With tuning, My low cam for vtec kicks in at 3700 rpm. I don't have to ring the motor out, cause I am always in the power band and never dip out of it.
I never said the car was about speed or that it was slow, I understand it's a car that is meant for road courses and track. I was just saying that the s2k is a whole lot different then the his previous cars that had plenty of power and torque. I have an s2k myself so I know this car is not about speed.

Not everyone wants to tune the car and can enjoy it as is. Your tune sounds good for track use, but not sure if I have it set that low for daily since I'll be in vtec virtually the whole time.
      07-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #63
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

I like my VTEC at 6k. You get good MPG if u don't hit that. I find myself accelerating faster then most even if I stay below 6k so VTEC zone is just for fun for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #64
fastaction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

S2000s show their worth as a dedicated track car
      07-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #65
andy92782
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner 4x4 V8

I used to have an '02 S2000. Great car for a weekend toy. I did about a half-dozen or so track day events in it and it was always very reliable. I've never driven a car (and probably never will) where the clutch and shifter worked so well together. But they're totally impractical and I'm glad I had a second softer, quieter car (ie E90) to live with on a daily basis. Their strong resale values are a testament to how good they are.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #66
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

I am selling mine and getting one of these for sure