BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

01-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #111
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
I test drove a 2008 GT500 a few weeks back just for kicks. Historically fast; the engine was 100 times fast than the chassis. Almost lost it out of 1st (redline) .. It was used dont worry
The car was fun to drive but the interior was complete garbage!
- I'm sure its gotten better over the years but I did not feel safe
The 2010+ GT500 interiors are light years ahead of the 2008, and the reason you almost lost it in 1st is these cars don't hook up until 3rd, otherwise they would be a mid 11 sec. car vs. a low 12 sec. car. Also, did you check the 2011 GT500 times vs. the M3 times at VIR, the 2011 GT500 was several seconds faster than the M3.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #112
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikk66 View Post
Went and checked out a gt500 this wknd, there were several things that bugged me, which is a bummer because none of them should be that hard for Ford to work out. Here are a few of them in no particular order. I figured I can/could live with shortcomings of the Mustang, but I still want my car to be able to do basic things that I do in my life..

-No lights on mirrors behind visors.. I had a Scion few years about for 2nd car with same thing, EVERY SINGLE girl who sat in that car noticed and complained.

-Manual passenger seat only, and no way to raise it, as mentioned before by another owner, the dashboard is very high.. seems silly you can't get an electric seat for passenger. Also as mentioned, when you flip the seat forward, you have to reposition it again, it doesn't remember how far back it was before you flipped it forward. So strange..

-Rear seats don't fold down. I have a bike I can fit in my current e92 coupe with the seats down. As well as skis, wakeboards etc from time to time.

-Small trunk opening. The actual size of truck isnt bad, but the opening is small, would be hard to fit even medium sized suitcases in there. And since the rear seat has such little room already, it would be difficult to get suitcases in there period.

I guess it may sound stupid to pick on small things like these, but the car is almost $60,000.. I find it hard to believe they let such small things like these happen. I know it's a "super fast" Mustang and all, but it still would have to be my daily driver, and as such I expect it to be able to do certain things.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about a 2011 ZCP e92 instead..
Actually I wish my M3 had manual seats, it wasn't until 2011.5 models that you get manual seats again. Also the GT500 starts out at $48.5K, fully specd out with the PP it is only $55k unless you want the glass roof in which you are now at $57k. Still not a bad price for what you are getting, is the interior as nice as the M3? In my eyes no..but still these cars have run 11's stock and can actually turn pretty good now and the amenities are not bad now.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #113
slikk66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Actually I wish my M3 had manual seats, it wasn't until 2011.5 models that you get manual seats again. Also the GT500 starts out at $48.5K, fully specd out with the PP it is only $55k unless you want the glass roof in which you are now at $57k. Still not a bad price for what you are getting, is the interior as nice as the M3? In my eyes no..but still these cars have run 11's stock and can actually turn pretty good now and the amenities are not bad now.

Dave
I test drove a 2011 gt500 svt pkg coupe today.. had 18 miles on it.. from
what ive heard the supercharger on these cars doesnt kick in till 50 or 500 miles beacuse the computer doesnt let it.. but it was still pretty damn fast.. i dont think i ever floored it and it felt faster than the m3.

The nav was nice, better than my 08 early style nav.. although i havent used the newer m3 setup. It had touch screen, and could give info like movie times and gas prices.

Also, few other tidbits.. the 2012 models can be ordered now and you can get factory Recaro seats in them now which is nice.. probably lighter and at least they will match eachother instead of the one manual one auto setup before. I'd definitely get the Recaros if I ordered a 12 model. They are also putting lit up mirrors on the visors in 2012.. about time.. another small issue, but one they are fixing.

The rear seat does fold down, but trunk opening is small, as well as rear seating room.. fitting myself, girlfriend and salesman in at once was a task.

Car drove well, steering was bit light, car felt a little more 'floaty' than the m3, suspension was good, little stiffer than the stiffest setting on EDC in m3.

Didnt really test stereo although from what i heard i wasnt blown away.

One of things thats nice about the m3 is that it can be so many things..mild to wild etc, but the gt500 is all mustang all the time.. not sure its such a bad thing tho??

Check this one out.. now im thinking red..
2008 E92 M3 Coupe (FINALLY) - Space Gray / Blk Leather - 6 MT
2013 F10 535i M-Sport - Space Gray / Blk Leather
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #114
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Well.....

After going on some test drives yesterday, I ended up going a different direction.

I decided to get the 2011 Corvette Grand Sport. Until I get a beater, I got a Recaro booster seat for my 6 YO daughter.

I drove the GT500 and the Grand Sport back to back, and after that, there was no turning back.

The Corvette is way more comfortable, has lots better ergonomics, and some may disagree, but I think the interior is better, with overall better materials. Granted I got the LT3 package.

So, it has the 6-speed with Magnetic Ride Control, F1 Supercar G:2 runflat tires, Nav., heated seats, upgraded wheels, Heritage package seats, and 2 stage sports exhaust.

I think the only thing the GT500 had on the Corvette was the Nav w/ Sync. The Nav in the Corvette is very basic, but it works for what it is designed to do, just without any thrills.

I paid $2500 UNDER INVOICE!!!.

Guy had bought the car, put 250 miles on it and couldn't get it financed, so I got a great deal on a very slightly used, but sold as new.
Attached Images

13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #115
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Damn that looks good! I love that color.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #116
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurem3owner View Post
Now I only may be 16, but my dad said go out and find a car. What ever you want as long as its not exotic (unless I wanted a used Bentley but too much trouble out of warranty) and gave me $100,000 including insurance though so if I couldn't afford the insurance than I would have to sell the car so I had to be a little more cautious. After much deliberation, between mostly the C63, but considered GT500, Bentley Continental, and maybe getting a CLK63 black imported from the states, but I settled on the M3 and is getting delivery next week. It was a demo loaded discluding the individual package, and got them to take off $12K of list and this is a 2011 demo with only 2000km or about 1200 I suppose. This was the logical choice for me because I wanted something that can both deliver lots of power with out being over the top, enjoy a good drive through some twisties, and start to take it to track days to hopefully become an M3 life long fan.
Anyways, these are two completely different cars. I like the M3 because I like the idea of having a GERMAN engineered marvel where the engine is hand built in the same area as the Formula 1 cars, has the most technologically advanced engine in the world, and the idea of having that BMW build quality. I personally don't understand how tracking is really that important to you when you won't consider the DCT being the faster, and better transmission. I understand the loyalty to the 6spd manual, but if lap times are what your after than the DCT really is the better choice. Im also just curious as to why no one has mentioned getting a used E92 and putting a blower on it. I think G Power just came out with one and in combination with a couple other parts gets 620hp and then spend a little more on upgrading the suspension. Parts may be ridiculous for an M3, but is money really an object when you can afford one?
I hope to save some money and start upgrading with some Dinan upgrades as to not void the warranty, but (and im not stating a fact, just an opinion) the M3 is for someone that likes maybe going to the Symphony, out of a nice diner, and still can appreciate a good track day, where as when I see a mustang on the road I just think of someone that buys domestic only, likes having a beer with his buddies while watching Nascar. Im not saying if you own a Mustang you are that person or if you own an M3 your that person. I am probably bias because I live in a more rural community where the average guy would take an Camaro SS over a Bugatti Veyron just because its American made. You can all now discount my post because I'm 16 and don't know what I'm talking about, but still just my two cents.

If you are not paying for your car out of your pocket you do not get to even enter the debate about the price of parts in relation to the cost of the car.

Also, the debate about the transmission is valid. This is your first car and it's an automatic. You have no idea WHY people choose the 6MT over the M-DCT.

At 16 you won't get discounted bcause you don't know what you're talking about, well not entirely. Your post is well-written and you seem to have a genuine love of cars. You, howver, will get discounted at 16 because you don't have the driving experience and enough time behing the wheel of ANY car to be able to tell anyone which is a "better" transmission. Yes, the M-DCT is faster, but it's also cold. It removes some of the connection for me and many others. I do agree that if you're looking for the fastest way around a track then the M-DCT is the best option.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #117
muditgrover
Rep
Drives: Custom Car

Nice Corvette, It is a real good car!

Nice colour though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #118
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
... You, howver, will get discounted at 16 because you don't have the driving experience and enough time behing the wheel of ANY car to be able to tell anyone which is a "better" transmission. ...
Never know... dude could have been tracking for years before he was old enough to drive on the street. Watch he posts pics of his 2-eleven track beater (lol).

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #119
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Never know... dude could have been tracking for years before he was old enough to drive on the street. Watch he posts pics of his 2-eleven track beater (lol).

-scheherazade

+1

Marco Andretti almost won the Indy 500 at 18 and John Edwards was winning races in open wheel cars when he was a 13 year old eigth grader/

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #120
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
If you are not paying for your car out of your pocket you do not get to even enter the debate about the price of parts in relation to the cost of the car.

Also, the debate about the transmission is valid. This is your first car and it's an automatic. You have no idea WHY people choose the 6MT over the M-DCT.

At 16 you won't get discounted bcause you don't know what you're talking about, well not entirely. Your post is well-written and you seem to have a genuine love of cars. You, howver, will get discounted at 16 because you don't have the driving experience and enough time behing the wheel of ANY car to be able to tell anyone which is a "better" transmission. Yes, the M-DCT is faster, but it's also cold. It removes some of the connection for me and many others. I do agree that if you're looking for the fastest way around a track then the M-DCT is the best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post

-scheherazade
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
+1

Marco Andretti almost won the Indy 500 at 18 and John Edwards was winning races in open wheel cars when he was a 13 year old eigth grader/

CA
LOL!

But Marco didn't grow up in Ontario and didn't have to deal with the graduated licensing that exists there.

You can get your license at 16, but are only allowed to drive if you have someone in the passenger seat that has had their full license for a minimum of 4 years.

Either the kid is full of it or his parents are epic fail for buying a kid with zero driving experience a +400 hp, $80K car that he can't drive on his own.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...du/index.shtml
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #121
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Well.....

After going on some test drives yesterday, I ended up going a different direction.

I decided to get the 2011 Corvette Grand Sport. Until I get a beater, I got a Recaro booster seat for my 6 YO daughter.

I drove the GT500 and the Grand Sport back to back, and after that, there was no turning back.

The Corvette is way more comfortable, has lots better ergonomics, and some may disagree, but I think the interior is better, with overall better materials. Granted I got the LT3 package.

So, it has the 6-speed with Magnetic Ride Control, F1 Supercar G:2 runflat tires, Nav., heated seats, upgraded wheels, Heritage package seats, and 2 stage sports exhaust.

I think the only thing the GT500 had on the Corvette was the Nav w/ Sync. The Nav in the Corvette is very basic, but it works for what it is designed to do, just without any thrills.

I paid $2500 UNDER INVOICE!!!.

Guy had bought the car, put 250 miles on it and couldn't get it financed, so I got a great deal on a very slightly used, but sold as new.
Congrats!

Great performing car in a beautiful color.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #122
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
You can get your license at 16, but are only allowed to drive if you have someone in the passenger seat that has had their full license for a minimum of 4 years.
Fortunately, a license is only to permit you to drive on public streets, and is not required to track [or drive on private land in general].

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #123
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I have owned a 95 GT and 5 4th generation F-Bodies.....

The idea of dealing with Ford and GM dealers alone will prevent me from buying these cars....

Overall Ford did a great job on the Mustang
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #124
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Instead of the GT500 I'd go with the BOSS302..NA power and lighter weight over the front wheels equals moaaar fun.Interior on the Boss is an upgrade too.

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #125
ZeroFear
Rep
Drives: m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikk66 View Post
(Not trying to start a war here)

I've been driving BMW 3 series for almost 9 years now. I've had my 6MT 2008 e92 M3 since May '08.

The car is great, I don't hate on it. I've had it at Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Infineon & Autoclub Speedway.

Last time at Laguna Seca I melted the brakes, needed rotors and my (brand new) pads replaced... under warranty luckily.

My lease is up May '11, and I think I'm going to try for a 2011 or 2012 gt 500 Shelby Mustang.

They compared a stock GT to an e92 here and the Mustang was faster in the 1/4 mile by .01 sec, and as fast I think around the track. Also braking distance was slightly shorter on the GT and comparable on the skidpad.

Granted the driver said the M3 won by a tad, but this is also the stock GT. The gt500 with the SVT kit comes with Brembo brakes, lowered, 20" rear and 19" front wheels, 550hp / 500lbft supercharged motor (there is an aftermarket 725hp kit for $6300 - 50 state legal). Stock GT is around 414 I think.

Anyways, I know that a Mustang isn't probably up to the caliber of an M3 for most of you guys, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot. The 2011 gt500 has the same motor as the Ford GT with a few tweaks to it.

Also, they look alot better this time, it actually reminds me of an M3 from the front views in a way, and the sticker is right around 50-53k for loaded, upgraded stereo, nav, heated seats.. etc. So thats about 18K less than a comparable M3, with better performance numbers. And, these only come in 6MT so no more seeing soccer moms driving my same M3 around.

The grabber blue is pretty sweet.. similar to Laguna Seca blue on the e46. I also like the dark silver, similar to the Space Gray I have now..

What's your opinion? Anyone driven one?

Comparison video:

wow you leased a M3, beat the SHIT out of it - even got parts that were destoryed on a RACE TRACK replaced under warrenty... just WOW. I feel bad for the next poor shmuk since the dealer is obviously not gonna say "yea the last guy that owned this was a tool- and the car is a real shitbox now".
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #126
Sexual Philanthropist
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFear View Post
wow you leased a M3, beat the SHIT out of it - even got parts that were destoryed on a RACE TRACK replaced under warrenty... just WOW. I feel bad for the next poor shmuk since the dealer is obviously not gonna say "yea the last guy that owned this was a tool- and the car is a real shitbox now".
      01-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #127
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I have owned a 95 GT and 5 4th generation F-Bodies.....

The idea of dealing with Ford and GM dealers alone will prevent me from buying these cars....

Overall Ford did a great job on the Mustang

You know this is so true. However, even Ford dealers that I have been dealing with lately are getting the message and are getting better. It really is dealer dependent.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #128
phusion974
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: OE Tuned C63

The GT500 is a monster. Very easy to mod and get big power out of it.
The only thing I don't like about the GT500 is the solid rear axle, When or if they decide to go independent rear suspension, I will be sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #129
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
The GT500 is a monster. Very easy to mod and get big power out of it.
The only thing I don't like about the GT500 is the solid rear axle, When or if they decide to go independent rear suspension, I will be sold.
I'm not a fan either but you can't argue with the performance the're getting despite the axle.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #130
slikk66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFear View Post
Ever heard of BMW CCA.. those are all the other tools I drove with then.. they have a big ole' tool fest every couple of months to drive all their shitboxes together on racetracks (omg)...
2008 E92 M3 Coupe (FINALLY) - Space Gray / Blk Leather - 6 MT
2013 F10 535i M-Sport - Space Gray / Blk Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #131
m3ftmfw
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Id say go for it, you live only once. I daily drive my e92 m3 and on the weekends i have a tvs 2300 2010 SS camaro plus other mods done by Livernois Motorsports that I drive around or take to the drag strip. you really cant compare a muscle car ( like the gt500) to the m3... in my opinion they are totally different classes of cars.... but go get one.. you'll be happy
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #132
m3ftmfw
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
That sounds like a description of the M3.

CA
LOl Whaat? are you nuts? My M3 handles like its on rails!
Appreciate 0