BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Shipping From Canada To Cali?

Hi guys,

I will be moving to Cali at the end of august for one year to study. I was going to buy a car in CALI for the year, or rent, etc. But I was thinking that I would rather take my M with me if I can; I know a lot of you use freight companies and move your cars around - I have never done it before - is there anything I should know, recommended shippers, plating info (I have spoken to my insurer and provincial licensing authority, etc), does anybody in Cali know if i will have to run a California plate for just 9 months?

I am also catless, and was wondering if i will be subject to a california emissions test on arrival, or what my worries should be?

Thanks for all the help

Nick
      07-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
JWE90
2008 E90 M3 6 spd., no sunroof, no nav, no idrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I drove here for years with BC plates and DL. When pulled over (infrequent) I just said I was down here visiting my brother or something... otherwise, if you wanted to import the car to the US, you would have to go through a huge process at the border, inspection, emissions, duties etc. etc. It is absolutely not worth it for 9 months.

BY the letter of the law, you have 30 days or something to convert it to Cali plates. But many, many people never do and unless you admit to living here and not importing the car in front of a cop, you will be absolutely fine. There are more people here than in all of Canada so a lot of stuff slips under the radar.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWE90 View Post
I drove here for years with BC plates and DL. When pulled over (infrequent) I just said I was down here visiting my brother or something... otherwise, if you wanted to import the car to the US, you would have to go through a huge process at the border, inspection, emissions, duties etc. etc. It is absolutely not worth it for 9 months.

BY the letter of the law, you have 30 days or something to convert it to Cali plates. But many, many people never do and unless you admit to living here and not importing the car in front of a cop, you will be absolutely fine. There are more people here than in all of Canada so a lot of stuff slips under the radar.

HI,

thanks a lot for the reply.

I am just concerned as I will be living on campus and driving my car on 'quebec' plates around that area frequently for 9 straight months- and i am sure I will have the university sticker on my car for parking or something like that.

I would have to go thru all that? I used to know lots of ppl that would bring their cars from montreal to florida for the winter, and i dont rmbr much hassle, but maybe they were doing what you are saying?

do you happen to know a good lease take over site in california by chance - for a good deal on a nice short term car?

maybe ill look into that option and just get rid of my M here, if its gonna be this kind of hassle _ I dont know if I am comfortable lying to police.

thanks a lot
      07-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
JWE90
2008 E90 M3 6 spd., no sunroof, no nav, no idrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
HI,

thanks a lot for the reply.

I am just concerned as I will be living on campus and driving my car on 'quebec' plates around that area frequently for 9 straight months- and i am sure I will have the university sticker on my car for parking or something like that.

I would have to go thru all that? I used to know lots of ppl that would bring their cars from montreal to florida for the winter, and i dont rmbr much hassle, but maybe they were doing what you are saying?

do you happen to know a good lease take over site in california by chance - for a good deal on a nice short term car?

maybe ill look into that option and just get rid of my M here, if its gonna be this kind of hassle _ I dont know if I am comfortable lying to police.

thanks a lot
The snowbirds just drive down to Florida and don't say anything. If asked, they say they are just visiting for the season, which is true.

You only have to convert it over if you establish residency in the state. So technically, you are going to be OK. Its just easier if you tell the police you are "just visiting" as it doesn't invite further scrutiny. No one will notice your M3 on campus trust me, its Cali and they are everywhere here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

catless = won't pass emissions, or likely not, unless you do some type of trickery.

Overall, you likely will get away from not registering your car. But if you want to apply for street parking permits (depending on the city), or if you're pulled over multiple times, you'll need to show a California registration.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
20 days to change your plate, with residency or registering for higher education. If you bring the car with you, you can have it here a year free without going through importation. After a year you have to take it back and you CANNOT sell it here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Just drive it down and play dumb - just visiting, etc.

Also, for the record, we live in California, not Cali. You wouldn't call your country your c*nt.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
jahn_baakus
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
i did exactly what you did when i was a student. Ontario to California. Out of state / out of country plates are common in California and you should be okay. Make sure you have current registration. If you don't, make sure you can renew it remotely.

Why are you shipping? Take the opportunity to drive the car and have an epic road trip across the continent. I did the trip (Toronto - San Jose and back) 3 times as a student and it is awesome!

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
4 corners...do you know where the rule about higher education can be found by chance?

I would love to take a road trip, but I do not have the time before the classes begin...

thanks again
      07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
4 corners...do you know where the rule about higher education can be found by chance?

I would love to take a road trip, but I do not have the time before the classes begin...

thanks again
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12505.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you very much 4 corners

much appreciated man

Nick