BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Exclamation Weird transmission crunching noise?

So I was driving this afternoon and I started hearing some minor noises from the car while I was downshifting into 2nd. I soon discovered the noise is reproducible when you take your foot off the gas in 2nd gear.

It also did it when I started from a dead stop in 1st, and turning slightly in reverse. I ended up eating lunch with my friend, drove the car again, and it was silent and made no noise, as much as I tried to see if it would make noise again...

We stopped someplace else for an hour, and wanted to see if it would do it again -- and this time brought out the camera -- it did it louder than ever, and we recorded it!

Obviously I'll be taking it to the dealer on Monday, but I'm curious if anybody has any ideas?

Here is the video! I was in 2nd at the time, revved up gently to about 3000rpm, and took my foot off the gas. Then you hear crunch crunch crunch.... it's most apparent at 0:05 but you can hear it a few times.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
BlackSaphr
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mine does that in reverse if I let out the clutch too fast, was annoying at first then I learned how to drive it with no noise and it's fine!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Woah that is not normal. It's weird though because it almost sounds like an exaggerated sound from the syncro or even the gears. I'd get it in ASAP.
      09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

i think thats from the clutch
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
BlackSaphr
Private
Rep

nevermind i posted that on my iphone and couldnt see the video, doesnt sound normal, bring it in to the dealer ! good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just got the call back from the dealer. I am going to need a new manual transmission. This sucks! I've never driven the car in an abusive way, and it's a 2011 and not even a year old. I really hope I don't have any more problems down the line. At least that's what the warranty is for!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Man, that sounds horrible, but can't imagine what inside the transmission could cause that . Hope dealer knows what they're doing. Make sure they check everything when the tranny comes down. With all that racket, there must be an obvious telltale of the issue. I'd make sure they find it before putting the car back together. Have them check flywheel and clutch as well. Good luck man, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Man, that sounds horrible, but can't imagine what inside the transmission could cause that . Hope dealer knows what they're doing. Make sure they check everything when the tranny comes down. With all that racket, there must be an obvious telltale of the issue. I'd make sure they find it before putting the car back together. Have them check flywheel and clutch as well. Good luck man, and keep us posted.
Yeah it actually got significantly worse as I was driving to the dealership this morning. It was really strange... I drove the first 15 miles on the way there with absolutely no problem, then in 6th gear about 65mph it just started making noise a mile from the dealership -- a really minor, low pitch whirring sound. It would get faster as the rpms sped up. Downshifted as I got off the freeway and it was doing the same sound as the video, about 2x worse. I wonder how much longer it would have lasted before blowing up. I went to do a road test at the dealer and we didn't even have to leave the service-driveway cause it was making a huge racket just in 1st gear when we first got in. It must have been real easy to locate the sound coming from the transmission... the tech suspects it is a faulty bearing inside the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Dude, this sucks. But just look at it on the bright side... it's better that it happened now than 3-4 yrs down the road when the warranty is over. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep

So, follow up to this thread for any of you all still interested. The new transmission was ready to be installed and during installation they noticed there was a bolt loose somewhere in the driveline. During reverse loads, it was making contact with the heat shield. It was a total simple fix -- tighten the bolt, and the problem was gone. No damage to any component, and my original transmission never had a problem, it just was resonating the noise through there. Dealer had to send back the transmission they ordered for me. I'm glad it wasn't really a serious problem!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Sounds like some very skilled technicians at your dealership.
      09-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
BlackSaphr
Private
Rep

Glad to hear it was something small instead of being a new tranny! Would you happen to have the part number on it?
Appreciate 0