BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #23
rcornelius
Faster
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe Melbourne Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Check this out. My oil level fell from the 3/4 full mark to the 1/2 mark about a month ago. I didn't care very much but I have a spare bottle of oil, so I put in half of it (500ml) this morning.

Now I know the manual says that putting in half a bottle may not result in an increase on the oil level display, but I didn't expect that adding oil would make my oil level go DOWN! After I put the oil in and drove the car around the oil level fell from 1/2 to 1/4. WTF?

So now I don't know what to think other than I do not trust that gauge to be accurate.
Yea with this system BMW fell way short of their normal grade of A, I'd grade BMW with a flat out F for failure. But never the less we will have to learn, from others. I use to add oil when the level was down half way, but I would either get a full reading in about 30 minutes or the level would remain at half way. My SA recommended waiting until the indicator comes on to add 1 qt/ltr. So that is what I've been doing for the past 6 months. The last time I added oil like so, I drove for about 10 mins and checked the oil level and it was perfect on the full mark. No guessing etc... I would rather be a 1/2 qt low than any amount over full.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #24
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
This is why I've been trying to find out exactly how much oil needs to be put in for an oil change. With a dipstick, it's no big deal... put in close to what you need, let it sit for few minutes, check the dip stick and top it off to exactly where you want it. With this car, I would like to find out EXACTLY what the oil capacity is, like within a quarter of a quart. Don't want to drive around for half a day to find out I was a quart or more short, and obviously don't want to overfill.
So, Greg, do you (or anyone else) know exactly how much you put in?
Yes, as others have said, it's 8.8L, including about 0.1 you need to scavenge from the bottom of the filter housing. See this thread for more complete info and photos: scottb@rasmussenbmw.com

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #25
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #26
AZE92M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

I'm a little confused.

So basically just to recap. As long as the oil level appears between the 2 arrows and the warning light doesn't come on you don't need to add any oil right?

Mine is exactly halfway between the 2 marks and has been that way since my 1200 mile service. Doesn't move. I currently have 7k miles and have never added oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #27
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZE92M3 View Post
So basically just to recap. As long as the oil level appears between the 2 arrows and the warning light doesn't come on you don't need to add any oil right?

Mine is exactly halfway between the 2 marks and has been that way since my 1200 mile service. Doesn't move. I currently have 7k miles and have never added oil.
Correct. You should add when it moves below that point, before it reaches the bottom, though.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0