BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

07-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Proud Gamer?

Are you a proud gamer? do you hide the fact you are a gamer from people IRL?

I personally am a proud gamer. I have my share of video game t-shirts. All my friends know and respect that fact and most are well informed that games aren't for kids only anymore...
      07-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

dont wear the tshirts but i have no problem saying that im a gamer.

dont exactly publicize it though
      07-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Ignignokt
No one can defeat the quad laser.
Rep
Drives: 335

Haha I took some flak for playing WoW while I was in the Corps.... Until we figured out that so many other guys had been closet WoW freaks.

I don't really game much anymore though. I got sick of WoW a while back, and I haven't found anything else to play. I think I've pretty much shelved gaming until GT5 comes out, or until something else comes out that captures my interest.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Its not something I will openly volunteer to people. If asked, I may or may not divulge which games I play. Depends who they are, and how much I like them.
      07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

I don't hide it... Especially considering my job. However, I refuse to participate in discussions with friends in public places. "The wizard does 20 more DPS than the assasin, but then it has a higher gank probabi....- SHUT THE FUCK UP, we're in Starbucks >:["
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Ignignokt
No one can defeat the quad laser.
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
I don't hide it... Especially considering my job. However, I refuse to participate in discussions with friends in public places. "The wizard does 20 more DPS than the assasin, but then it has a higher gank probabi....- SHUT THE FUCK UP, we're in Starbucks >:["
Yeah that shit is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
This pretty much. Awkward as fuuu.

I will still game when I am a senior citizen, and by that time I bet games will be controlled with our minds. Shit will be epic. I'll be like 90 years old and schooling noobs just like I do now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
My sister and I are both gamers. We both plopped down in front of the computer for all of the Street Fighter action last weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I'm not really a hardcore gamer but I do wear a KOTOR shirt to the gym for shits and giggles.
      07-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Whathedunks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am still a gamer but not so much as I was before. I still play on consoles and pc everyonce in a while but school and work both got me booked on my schedule right now. However I don't think I'm going to stop gaming anytime soon. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Im a gamer and I could care less what people think about it. Being a shift worker, when Im awake all night I need something to pass the time. I also see it as a way to stay in touch with my real friends back home. Its a way we can hang out and have fun even though they are in the States and I am in Europe.

I dont advertise that I am a gamer, but I have my PS3 linked to my FB, so it occasionally posts stuff on there for me. I also talk on forums with friends about games, and am active on the PS3 forums a lot. Its a hobby that I do, much like cars and photography, its just something I enjoy

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

I'm a proud gamer, although like many others I don't run around being obnoxious about it. Like Sylon, it's just one of my many hobbies/activites. I enjoy gaming, fishing, photography (just getting started with that one), running. etc...

Part of the reason I don't advertise it is I'm a little ahead of the "home console" revolution that happened in the late nineties. I'm in my early thirties, and the people who played games growing up were always pinned as "geeks", gaming is just more accepted to the younger people these days and I'm still not used to that. In my days of high school and college, if you played games, it needed to be limited to Madden or tecmo bowl, some overly macho FPS (not more cerebral classics like Half-life and System Shock 2) and maybe a fighting game like Mortal Kombat. Anything else like a Final Fantasy was completely sissy and for the nerds/geeks, even though many people played those games anyway.

The other reason is, and this is true to most things. If i'm talking to someone about games, and there is at least one other person listening, I will change the subject or try to kill the conversation as much as possible. Not really because I'm ashamed, but more because it's really, really annoying to block other people out of the conversation that much. Like someone else said, nobody else but other gamers care about what the DPS potential of a night elf rogue with a haste buff can be. Just like if I'm eating lunch and the two people I sat down with start a long, involved conversation about quilting I'm going to have no options to join or comment on anything they are talking about. I'm sure it's interesting to them, but to me I'm just going

Gamers aren't always the most socially adept people to begin with. Get me in the right crowd however and I can spend hours talking about what it was like to play the first SOCOM with the developers the first night of release. I went to 6 different stores to find the network adapter and must have bought the last one in Columbus. I got lucky enough to get into a room with a couple devs who talked about why they did this, or why this map was chosen etc... it was simply amazing. I played until 2:30 am. Then, two days later, I logged back on and played for 5 hours and was continually stuck in rooms with about 2000 teenage kids who talked about their D%#*s constantly and accused each other of being gay every 34 seconds.

Or also about how cool the opening of Half-Life was, or what was behind the wall of the final boss room in Doom 2 (Either John Romero or John Carmack's head if I remember right). I know it's cliche, but what it was like to watch Sephiroth kill Aeris in FF7. If you were a life-long gamer you understood why that was important. Before that characters just didn't seem to die.

To everyone else though, they just don't get it, so while I'm a proud gamer, I'm not an obnoxious one. Give the industry another 20 years and it will be no more/less accepted than any other hobby out there. It's just not quite there yet.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

Quote:
hahha COD ftw!
Appreciate 0