BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

administrative fee ???

How much are you willing to pay / have you paid for a bmw dealer's asking administrative fee ?

- nothing, it should be illegal.
- $49
- $99
- $199
- $299

Example: http://www.flowbmw.com/Results.aspx?...ke=BMW&Model=0
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
What the hell is a administrative fee? Sounds like another word for markup-ripoff.
      03-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

There is a $299 "processing fee" on my order slip. Pretty upset about it since it sounds like BS
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

My dealer mentioned a "documentation fee". I assume this has to do with the title and registration.
      03-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Unless it is for registration or title, I would complain.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Title and Registration, its for the $ owed to DMV plus I guess their cut too...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
So Administrative/Documentation/Title,Registration are all synonymous? I need to keep my eye out for that.

Is this what it is? Looks like it should be $84

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Fees.htm
      03-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

fifthstreet,

They are certainly not synonymous:
Registration and title fees are legitimate and should be paid and is what the dealer is paying to the DMV for registering your new car.

But documentation/administrative fee are just arbitrary fees the dealer is making up to cover for "administrative" "documentation" fees to cover their expenses for paperwork etc ... needless to say this is just a shitty excuse for the dealer to have another helping to your money. In fact you should not pay this at all. I would refuse to pay this or walk away. They already get their margin on MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
fifthstreet,

They are certainly not synonymous:
Registration and title fees are legitimate and should be paid and is what the dealer is paying to the DMV for registering your new car.

But documentation/administrative fee are just arbitrary fees the dealer is making up to cover for "administrative" "documentation" fees to cover their expenses for paperwork etc ... needless to say this is just a shitty excuse for the dealer to have another helping to your money. In fact you should not pay this at all. I would refuse to pay this or walk away. They already get their margin on MSRP.
Thanks Oneginee, ill keep my eye out for documentation/admin fees. If i see them on the order sheet on ill refuse payment, if i have too... ill bluff and say im walking out the door.
      03-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Anyone else asked to pay a documentation fee? I was asked to pay $258 on top of the $80 registration/licence fee. How standard is this fee? I agree with oneginee that this should be a cost of doing business and not be made explicit to the customer. They have their margins. Before I take on my dealer regarding this, I want to get a sense of how wide-spread it is. If you have already paid for it, please let me know how much.
      03-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
This is usually a bogus fee. Usually something you can get marked down as well. They tell you it is pre-printed on the order form, which it is, and they can't remove it. However, you can usually get some of it knocked off. I got mine knocked down 50%. They just take it off the MSRP and then add it back up on the tally sheet.
      03-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

those fees are pure dealer markup.
documentation, dealer processing fee, etc.

it's not illegal and cant be illegal.
that fee is there to rip someone who knows nothing about negotiating but how much he/she paid over invoice.
so yeah, those fees are there to get the "newbs" haha
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

I wouldn't pay for crap like that. Then again I paid for some stupid 'materials' fee when I took my car in to get my brake lights fixed. They said the 'materials' was a generic fee that covered crap like fluids for their lifts and towels and crap. I just wanted to take my car and go home so I didn't bother arguing. That's probably what they're hoping for from most people. 'I don't like it but I'll pay it. Just give me my M3.'
Bah. Curse our impatient culture.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

So, I took my dealer on regarding this. He came back with a somewhat shrewd response via email saying they charge all of their customers and left it at that, without addressing my point/request in anyway as if they are simply entitled to it, which really pissed me off. I responded by saying I am serious about it and that our agreement states that I am supposed to pay MSRP + legal fees, not a penny more, and that if he can't meet those terms, he should refund my deposit. Let's see how he responds...
      03-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
So, I took my dealer on regarding this. He came back with a somewhat shrewd response via email saying they charge all of their customers and left it at that, without addressing my point/request in anyway as if they are simply entitled to it, which really pissed me off. I responded by saying I am serious about it and that our agreement states that I am supposed to pay MSRP + legal fees, not a penny more, and that if he can't meet those terms, he should refund my deposit. Let's see how he responds...
That sucks Lucid. Usually this type of negotiation isn't so hateful.
I don't see why they won't at least work with you on it.
Like I said, they do charge all of their customers that, it's printed on the form. They just knock some amount off of MSRP and it comes out the same.
      03-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
That sucks Lucid. Usually this type of negotiation isn't so hateful.
I don't see why they won't at least work with you on it.
Like I said, they do charge all of their customers that, it's printed on the form. They just knock some amount off of MSRP and it comes out the same.
Well, it's not printed on the deposit slip I have in my hands. I ended up talking to the sales manager a few minutes ago, and he was pretty much the same way. I told him documentation is a cost of doing business as are rent and salaries, and that I wouldn't pay for it as a fee. He then said it includes the registration tabs, which I think is more BS since there is an additional $80 licence fee that I am willing to pay for obviously. He added that he could return my deposit if I wasn't willing to pay. Then I told him that I will pay for any fee that is legally required for me to be able to drive away with the car, and nothing more, and that if that's not fine with him, he should indeed return my deposit. Yes, I am serious about this. I had enough BS from BMW and its dealers throughout this process, and I am not going put up with more of it. Then, he goes let me think about it and call you back, and I said fine...Not sure if that's an intimidation tactic or what, but I'm not impressed. He can't make a simple decision on the phone and yet calls himself a sales manager? Whatever I guess.
      03-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Well, it's not printed on the deposit slip I have in my hands. I ended up talking to the sales manager a few minutes ago, and he was pretty much the same way. I told him documentation is a cost of doing business as are rent and salaries, and that I wouldn't pay for it as a fee. He then said it includes the registration tabs, which I think is more BS since there is an additional $80 licence fee that I am willing to pay for obviously. He added that he could return my deposit if I wasn't willing to pay. Then I told him that I will pay for any fee that is legally required for me to be able to drive away with the car, and nothing more, and that if that's not fine with him, he should indeed return my deposit. Yes, I am serious about this. I had enough BS from BMW and its dealers throughout this process, and I am not going put up with more of it. Then, he goes let me think about it and call you back, and I said fine...Not sure if that's an intimidation tactic or what, but I'm not impressed. He can't make a simple decision on the phone and yet calls himself a sales manager? Whatever I guess.
Simply unbelievable! Sorry for all your troubles. Pretty insane if they won't even work with you a little bit. Don't they know your car is due anytime?
      03-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Don't they know your car is due anytime?
Sure he does. He was trying to use that for me to drop my request actually. Meaning, your car is about to get here so just pay what we are asking you to pay if you want it kind of nonsense.
      03-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Thats lame man...if my dealer pulls that on me which i think they might ill put up a bluff too.
      03-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

The thing is I am not bluffing. I am not going to eat my own words.
      03-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

So the sales manager now claims the cost of the full tank of gas is included in the documentation fee.

Gas <=> Documentation

I was under the impression the dealers pay for the gas and get reimbursed from BMW. Is that correct?

This is getting more and more strange each time they open their mouths.
      03-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Wow thats BS...these guys are desperate.