BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

04-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

Ontario Based BMW M3 Mods - Software, airflow etc

There are many ways/companies to tune the software like ESS, Powerchip, AA, Dinan etc. However, I am very hesitant to send out my DME to have it tuned somewhere in the US.

I know DINAN is local in most provinces but their software has very little gain compared to a Powerchip.

Does anyone out there know of or better recommend local Canadian talent for M3 mods starting with software but taking it further such as air flow (in/out) etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Powerchip actually has an option to send you a device to flash your car without sending them your DME. I'm not sure if ESS has this option. There are local GIAC dealers as well as Active Autowerkes dealer. I'm sure there is local talent but those you mentioned are available locally, for the most part anyways. Also, I was told that the S65 learns to adapt/adjust air flow, therefore software rarely needs to include that, unless you have some special mods.
      04-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

For your 335, GIAC stage 1 can be done in house at Pfaff Tuning (
Vaughan Mills). I am not sure stage 2 is out already. If so, go for S2. Vroom ... Vroom
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Bimmersport is an AA dealer and can flash your dme onsite and also provide other products.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Bimmersport is an AA dealer and can flash your dme onsite and also provide other products.
Thanks for the suggestion. I emailed them this evening and we have exchanged a few emails since then. A person named Johnny.

Have you used them before? If so how did they do? I like the idea of having someone local versus Powerchip where they would have to support me remotely even they could send me the cables to install the software tune at my location. Powerchip seems to have the highest ratings but AA is a good compromise of security and performance working through Bimmersport.

Tks again,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quite frankly, if it was up to me I'd go with GIAC. There was only one reason that I chose AA, the CEL delete. To be quite honest, I'm not that happy with my AA tune either, and there are plenty of examples like me if you do a quick search. If you want a reliable tune and have no need for deleting your CEL, I see no reason to not go with GIAC. By the way, Bimmersport is a good shop, but prepare some extra time if you do end up going through them. On both instances I was there, it took a good 2 hours before I was out of there.
      04-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

They download the software from the DME & sent the file to AA who modify the software & it is then send back to Bimmersport who upload it back into the DME. Takes about 2 hours depending on how busy AA is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I emailed them this evening and we have exchanged a few emails since then. A person named Johnny.

Have you used them before? If so how did they do? I like the idea of having someone local versus Powerchip where they would have to support me remotely even they could send me the cables to install the software tune at my location. Powerchip seems to have the highest ratings but AA is a good compromise of security and performance working through Bimmersport.

Tks again,
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post

Tks again,
I have used them to a few times to do some installations (exhaust, ssk, pulley). They also did my flash for me as well. I currently have an Xpipe on order with them and am expecting it anytime. I generally talk to Johnny, but they are all a great bunch of guys. They will take care of you for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
darkseid2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 E71, '11 E92

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Quite frankly, if it was up to me I'd go with GIAC. There was only one reason that I chose AA, the CEL delete. To be quite honest, I'm not that happy with my AA tune either, and there are plenty of examples like me if you do a quick search. If you want a reliable tune and have no need for deleting your CEL, I see no reason to not go with GIAC. By the way, Bimmersport is a good shop, but prepare some extra time if you do end up going through them. On both instances I was there, it took a good 2 hours before I was out of there.
I second what Ben states. The main reason i got my AA tune was to be rid of the CEL (ran catless). There were issues with getting rid of the CEL through different flashes until I gave up due to lack of time to take the car in. They're a pro shop but you do find yourself waiting for a few hours at times. I think the newer flashes have more promise - GIAC included. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with PC after reading reviews and dynos.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Haven't left for the Master's yet Jay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I have used them to a few times to do some installations (exhaust, ssk, pulley). They also did my flash for me as well. I currently have an Xpipe on order with them and am expecting it anytime. I generally talk to Johnny, but they are all a great bunch of guys. They will take care of you for sure.
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Haven't left for the Master's yet Jay?
This afternoon!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Enjoy. Weather sounds good.

QUOTE=Jaypod;7076926]This afternoon! [/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseid2k View Post
I second what Ben states. The main reason i got my AA tune was to be rid of the CEL (ran catless). There were issues with getting rid of the CEL through different flashes until I gave up due to lack of time to take the car in. They're a pro shop but you do find yourself waiting for a few hours at times. I think the newer flashes have more promise - GIAC included. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with PC after reading reviews and dynos.

Good luck.
My first inclination was to go with PC as well. However, my preference is to work with someone local and I don't know of anyone in Ontario that would work with PC.

Does anyone know if there is a shop that works with PC? Bimmersport doesn't.

Jay I am jealous...I would love to head out to the masters but not this year unfortunately. It should be even more exciting with Woods making his first appearance since all the shit he go himself into.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Nothing but good things to say about Bimmersport. Very helpful, even with me being 4,200 km away!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0