BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble

Best performance output with just ECU Flash Tune?

Anyone knows whats the best performance output you can get with just an ECU Flash?

BRAND?
HP?
TQ?
GAS MILEAGE +/-?
PRICE?

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER

Last edited by aka_phox; 07-25-2011 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Honestly - no body knows which one is best and shortly all the fan boys will be in here arguing for the company they side with
      07-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

NO ONE KNOWS.

unless you try them yourself...

Powerchip
ESS
Evolve

pick one and tell us.
      07-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Getting a non-convertible would have given you more in all those categories than any "tune". Always vert guys asking these lame questions.

You are the guys that think you can have "everything". Adding 10hp on a vert that weighs 400 more pounds, what is the point? If performance was your priority than a vert would not be in your garage.

Just saying, I think its kind of a silly question
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

wow, didn't take very long for this thread to go downhill. I was suprised it went straight to a E93 vs E92 thread. I was hoping I can chime in on a DCT vs 6MT discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Ignore the tools posting above. Not sure why you can't ask a simple question and get helpful answers around here.

I'd buy the one that shows a dyno chart with the highest output. I doubt you will find anyone that has purchased more than one tune and will be able to offer advise. European Car Magazine often does tunes on vehicles and posts the results, but they generally don't do several tunes from different manufacturers. Not sure if they have done the M3 or not. You should be able to search via Google for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
Ignore the tools posting above. Not sure why you can't ask a simple question and get helpful answers around here.

I'd buy the one that shows a dyno chart with the highest output.
Well that's not good advice either...especially since you are calling people "tools". A dyno chart with a high output, and nothing else, tells you basically nothing about anything - it might as well be a drawn advertisement.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting a non-convertible would have given you more in all those categories than any "tune". Always vert guys asking these lame questions.

You are the guys that think you can have "everything". Adding 10hp on a vert that weighs 400 more pounds, what is the point? If performance was your priority than a vert would not be in your garage.

^^^Really? "You guys..."???
Stop being butt hurt and step your pockets up.
I bought a vert cuz i wanted a vert. I dont care about weight. Weight means nothing to me...
As a matter of fact, imma supercharge my "heavy" vert, and race you for pink slips. And once i smoke check you, imma sell your car and for a e46 vert and take what ever is left and mail you a check.
"....you guys..."??? C'mon son! Getdatfukouttaherewitdatbullshit

BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fortunately there are several solid tuners out there with many of their clients happy with the results. I say what your best bet is to purchase a tune that simply meets your list of requirements.

Do you need a tune that you can flash yourself?
Are you ok with mailing out your DME?
Do you plan on getting future exhaust/intake mods that would benefit from a "retune"?
How much do retunes cost
..etc..etc

Although I haven't tuned our E90 M3 just yet. I chose to go with Evolve Automotive for their evolve-R tune for my E46 M3. The biggest reason being their experience with specifically the DME of the S54. Their evolve-R gave me the opportunity to be dyno tuned remotely and very efficient. Evolve is also working on a way to implement data logging and reading/clearing codes through their evolve-R cable. For the price, it was rather an attractive package. In addition, Sal@Evolve was willing to personally call me from the UK and discuss in great detail how he manipulates maps within the DME. Every other tuner I spoke to did not answer my specific questions or really beat around the bush. I tend to be a consumer that wants to know the intricacies of everything and the reason behind the engineering. Sal was willing to share that with me and teach me a lot, while others refused to answer my questions or assumed I was an un-educated consumer.

Despite what route you go, whether Evolve, ESS, OETuning, Powerchip, etc...I'm sure you'll be pleased. There's a lot of competition when it comes to DME tuning which is great because it pushes all these tuners individually to keep improving upon their product. I would recommend to call every tuner you're interested in, pick their brains, see what they offer, see how they answer your questions, and then decide.

I think it's safe to say that most tuners are pulling similar power. I think what differentiates them is how they treat you as a client, the process of getting tuned, and what promises they have for the future.

All the best!

Last edited by flipm3; 07-25-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No...dont go and edit your words now. I know what you meant. "...you guys"

///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Nicely stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Fortunately there are several solid tuners out there with many of their clients happy with the results. I say what your best bet is to purchase a tune that simply meets your list of requirements.

Do you need a tune that you can flash yourself?
Are you ok with mailing out your DME?
Do you plan on getting future exhaust/intake mods that would benefit from a "retune"?
How much do retunes cost
..etc..etc

Although I haven't tuned our E90 M3 just yet. I chose to go with Evolve Automotive for their evolve-R tune for my E46 M3. The biggest reason being their experience with specifically with the DME of the S54. Their evolve-R gave me the opportunity to be dyno tuned remotely and very efficient. Evolve is also working on a way to implement data logging and reading/clearing codes through their evolve-R cable. For the price, it was rather an attractive package. In addition, Sal@Evolve was willing to personally call me from the UK and discuss in great detail how he manipulates maps within the DME. Every other tuner I spoke to did not answer my specific questions or really beat around the bush. I tend to be a consumer that wants to the intricacies of everything and the reason behind the engineering. Sal was willing to share that with me and teach me a lot, while others refused to answer my questions or assumed I was an un-educated consumer.

Despite what route you guy, whether Evolve, ESS, OETuning, Powerchip, etc...I'm sure you'll be pleased. There's a lot of competition when it comes to DME tuning which is great because it pushes all these tuners individually to keep improving upon their product. I would recommend to call every tuner you're interested in, pick their brains, see what they offer, see how they answer your questions, and then decide.

I think it's safe to say that most tuners are pulling similar power. I think what differentiates them is how they treat you as a client, the process of getting tuned, and what promises they have for the future.

All the best!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I'm happy with my OE
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

Quote:
"I dont care about weight" yet you want an improvement in acceleration, fuel economy etc. Makes a lot of sense.

Then I realized you posted a thread thinking you could simply order some online parts and tune your own m3. So then I realized its not worth the effort.

Enjoy tuning your vert!
#winning
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

I hear that ESS is a pretty solid brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
e92Mjunky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 S65 swap

[QUOTE^^^Really? "You guys..."???
Stop being butt hurt and step your pockets up.
I bought a vert cuz i wanted a vert. I dont care about weight. Weight means nothing to me...
As a matter of fact, imma supercharge my "heavy" vert, and race you for pink slips. And once i smoke check you, imma sell your car and for a e46 vert and take what ever is left and mail you a check.
"....you guys..."??? C'mon son! Getdatfukouttaherewitdatbullshit][/QUOTE]

umm who says pink slips anymore...
      07-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #16
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"I dont care about weight" yet you want an improvement in acceleration, fuel economy etc. Makes a lot of sense.

Then I realized you posted a thread thinking you could simply order some online parts and tune your own m3. So then I realized its not worth the effort.

Enjoy tuning your vert!
The point of this thread is to see who has the most output with just an ECU Flash. Then here you come "vert bashing", throwing weight and other non-sense in the mix.
People who buy verts, buy them because of the luxury of driving topless. The fact that BMW even made a vert with this much power is genius because now they are widening their market...being those who arent worried about weight and what not. Its simply the same way you can get a 4dr pickup truck with +500hp that does 0-60 in under 5sec, but can tow 4 tons...
I'm realizing that most modifications that you pay vendors to do, can be done yourself, if you have the right tools. But most people rather pay someone to do it for them. You really think that tuners take their car to another tuner for a tune...?
A little research will get you further than most...just saying

///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3

You guys want to make your coupes faster and we want to make our verts faster. Why is this such a hard concept for some of you guys to understand? Just saying...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
NO ONE KNOWS.

unless you try them yourself...

Powerchip
ESS
Evolve

pick one and tell us.
No. Pick all three and test each one. Then report back. Make sure they're tested on the same dyno under the same conditions. Better yet, test them on several dynos (but make sure all three use all the dynos) to get an average and also get 1/4 mile, 0 - 60 and 60 -130 times.

Cheers.
      08-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #19
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

i was messing with some dude in a vert m3 earlier this week and he pulls up to the light next to me and goes: "i dont race coupes, only other verts, sorry bro"

lololol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #20
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Powerchip and ESS both have strong reputations, and they're very close in terms of power. I'm personally thrilled with my Powerchip tune with 10K miles on it. Couldn't go wrong with either for your big, heavy vert. ;^)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #21
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

M3 Vert....great car 95% of the performance of the coupe, yet "priceless" ability to drop the top Let's face it, there are so many "fast" cars on the roads these days....no one buys a car anymore (at least I did not), to drag race....the 50's are over. To those who say the 'vert is a pig, I say you likely did not even test drive it. Clearly "slower" than the coupe, but it's all relative in normal DD driving, no one can feel a difference in .1-.3 seconds...

To the OP, I say enjoy the car stock....messing with a tune, to eek out 8-10hp just sounds silly and a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Two more great choices

Active Autowerke
GIAC
Appreciate 0