BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

08-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #155
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Since we're talking about this can this change also be made in a 2009 X6? Its such a pain going from the quick easy nav in the M with all the quick buttons, to the nav in the X6 with its restart mono button

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #156
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Since we're talking about this can this change also be made in a 2009 X6? Its such a pain going from the quick easy nav in the M with all the quick buttons, to the nav in the X6 with its restart mono button
X6 would use the same CIC, the iDrive screen may be different - I would have to look into this. Coding should be similar.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #157
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Anybody know what the life cycle on the CIC might be? Obviously a difficult question to answer, but it would suck to update to the CIC only for some new shiny version to be released and make us feel outdated again.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #158
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
X6 would use the same CIC, the iDrive screen may be different - I would have to look into this. Coding should be similar.
The X5/6 CIC and CID are very different from those in E9x vehicles.
As far as the coding is concerned this might be a challenge in some X5/X6 vehicles
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #159
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
Anybody know what the life cycle on the CIC might be? Obviously a difficult question to answer, but it would suck to update to the CIC only for some new shiny version to be released and make us feel outdated again.
Thus is technology, it's the way it goes.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #160
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
You can already see some differences between the 2009, 2010 and 2011 CIC versions. And some of the new features require much more than just a new version of the CIC head unit.
It's really hard to be up to date all the time, but the CIC is a great upgrade for the CCC no matter which version you will get.
To me it's like Windows 98 vs Windows 7
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #161
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

A quick question:

I'm not looking for a software update, will the new '09/'10 idrive controller be fully functional with my old 08 system? Will all the buttons and functions work (is it simply plug and play?)?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #162
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
A quick question:

I'm not looking for a software update, will the new '09/'10 idrive controller be fully functional with my old 08 system? Will all the buttons and functions work (is it simply plug and play?)?
Search please... there's a thread specifically about what you are asking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #163
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
A quick question:

Yes..I have retrofitted the new 09+ controller into my 08 M3 and it works fine with all the same functions but they are now controlled by buttons instead of the single wheel. No re-programming needed. As for trying to upgrade to the 09+ everyone is right...it would cost a small fortune and you'd likely would be better off in a trade for a new car if needed. It is likely that even if you could get all the parts to fit and plug in together that the cars's computer controller may reject the upgrade and not accept the new 09+ parts as the car wasn't coded in Germany to them...sort of like adding a new video card to your old Windows XP computer only for it to not accept it and not function cause they drivers and software are unable to talk to each other or the hardware is too old. I believe others have had similar problems with electronic upgrades/retrofits in late model BMW's before. Good luck.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #164
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Yes..I have retrofitted the new 09+ controller into my 08 M3 and it works fine with all the same functions but they are now controlled by buttons instead of the single wheel. No re-programming needed. As for trying to upgrade to the 09+ everyone is right...it would cost a small fortune and you'd likely would be better off in a trade for a new car if needed. It is likely that even if you could get all the parts to fit and plug in together that the cars's computer controller may reject the upgrade and not accept the new 09+ parts as the car wasn't coded in Germany to them...sort of like adding a new video card to your old Windows XP computer only for it to not accept it and not function cause they drivers and software are unable to talk to each other or the hardware is too old. I believe others have had similar problems with electronic upgrades/retrofits in late model BMW's before. Good luck.
Done right the iDrive swap is around $2100-$2400, and that is before selling the current iDrive if you want to reduce the cost. And there's no "rejection" if you code the iDrive to your VIN, which is part of the cost anyways.

So please, no misinformation in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #165
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Still waiting for EAS to release a US CIC to the masses!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 03:13 AM   #166
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
The CIC retrofit kit consisting of OEM parts only:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428428

At the moment I only have the Euro spec CIC (no HD Radio in the US), but have some US spec units occasionally and one lucky customer grabbed one last week
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #167
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Done right the iDrive swap is around $2100-$2400, and that is before selling the current iDrive if you want to reduce the cost. And there's no "rejection" if you code the iDrive to your VIN, which is part of the cost anyways.

So please, no misinformation in this thread.
Technic...my apologies. Was going on "old" info from when I asked this question earlier about 1 yr ago and did some searching. Had NOT seen what Patrys has been doing and just spent the afternoon going thru all the info on the M5 board as this one. Yes looks to be doable and hell I may take it up myself as the new screens are awesome. My only concerns would be:

1) Is there the inability to have your car serviced at the dealer without having to swap your car's CIC back to the CCC unit each time?
2) Would you ever be able to update the car's coding without doing #1 above? Has anyone had any problems from their dealers?
3) Does such a retrofit void out the remaining warranty on my 08 M3?
4) That future updates and support would at this time be dependant on Patrys who at some point may or may not be able to support such services (would hope this is never the case..but times change as do vendors and I plan on having my car a very long time)?

But yes the cost does seem more reasonable than swapping out/trading the car especially when/if you have put alot of effort into mods and such (as I have done with my car) or its an individual color or something (mine is Sparkling Gray Mettalic a color not made in the M3's anymore which I absolutely love!) IF like you said you sell your old idrive unit (to whom?) but I'd say you may need it in the future for those service calls!

No harm intended Technic...thanks for provoking a search and update of the info and my knowledge base! Will be following your updates as well as Tom@EAS with increased interest!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #168
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We have a beta module being tested on a CiC retrofit as we speak, everything is performing up to spec.
Will this be your next mod offered for sourcing of parts and upgrade? Are you guys going to post an upgrade journal with pics as you've done previously...have followed and emulated (some) of your e92 mods with interest since getting my car!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #169
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
More reviews are coming soon. I am shipping a few kits this week, so please stand by
Me too..am concerned about updates to my car if this retrofit is installed and difficulty from dealers as to servicing it. But am following closely. Read all your threads and posts this afternoon...wow. Great new info...that I wasn't aware was available!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #170
SECRET M
Engineer
Rep
Drives: N/A

will retro fitting to the 2011 US model CIC mean that the new nuance voice control benefits are also ported over?

i'm really interested in doing this and would prefer not buying a new M3 to get my nav up to date.. just a lot of overhead/cost involved in de-modding etc.
      09-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #171
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET M View Post
will retro fitting to the 2011 US model CIC mean that the new nuance voice control benefits are also ported over?

i'm really interested in doing this and would prefer not buying a new M3 to get my nav up to date.. just a lot of overhead/cost involved in de-modding etc.
My concerns too..I see it like this...I have Dinan suspension upgrades, Dinan ECU upgrade, stainless steel brake kit, CF lip/spoiler, F1 Ceramic tint, VMR710 wheel upgrade all around, 09 idrive controller/trim upgrade/smokers delete/Sirrus Radio/ipod/BT, and an Eisennman Sport exhaust upgrades in my car plus it is Sparkling Gray Mettalic which is not made any longer in the M3 (was only an 08 color option) and I really like my color alot.

Car is 99% where I want it to be and this would make it complete...till now I would have to spec order a brand new one to get this especially with my color...not an option I'd like to see as it would be more costly than a retrofit am sure in trade lost vs sale price as I got my car via military sales at a significant value. So can't really see selling the car at $45-50k plus removing all my mods just to have them retrofitted on a new 09 or 10+ car if you factor in cost differential lost on the trade and labor for removal and re-install of some of these items. SO I too am looking closely at this and the reviews. Definately want to see what Tom@EAS has to say/show!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #172
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Me too..am concerned about updates to my car if this retrofit is installed and difficulty from dealers as to servicing it. But am following closely. Read all your threads and posts this afternoon...wow. Great new info...that I wasn't aware was available!
Anyone interested in doing this retrofit has to be aware that he will HAVE TO put his old Navigation or Radio back in the car if he wants to have the car software updated by a dealership.

I have delivered many retrofit kits to forum members worldwide, so if have any specific questions just let me know.
You can also have a look at my sales thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428428
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #173
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Technic...my apologies. Was going on "old" info from when I asked this question earlier about 1 yr ago and did some searching. Had NOT seen what Patrys has been doing and just spent the afternoon going thru all the info on the M5 board as this one. Yes looks to be doable and hell I may take it up myself as the new screens are awesome. My only concerns would be:

1) Is there the inability to have your car serviced at the dealer without having to swap your car's CIC back to the CCC unit each time?
2) Would you ever be able to update the car's coding without doing #1 above? Has anyone had any problems from their dealers?
3) Does such a retrofit void out the remaining warranty on my 08 M3?
4) That future updates and support would at this time be dependant on Patrys who at some point may or may not be able to support such services (would hope this is never the case..but times change as do vendors and I plan on having my car a very long time)?

But yes the cost does seem more reasonable than swapping out/trading the car especially when/if you have put alot of effort into mods and such (as I have done with my car) or its an individual color or something (mine is Sparkling Gray Mettalic a color not made in the M3's anymore which I absolutely love!) IF like you said you sell your old idrive unit (to whom?) but I'd say you may need it in the future for those service calls!

No harm intended Technic...thanks for provoking a search and update of the info and my knowledge base! Will be following your updates as well as Tom@EAS with increased interest!
There was no harm, just like you said "old information"...

I have serviced my car without swapping the CIC back to CCC, and my two local dealers have seen my CIC setup and the only thing that they have commented is "great job". Actually, one BMW senior tech helped me by calling Assist and making my account compatible with Google MyInfo, so I can receive Google Maps messages thru the CIC... most probably the only MY2008 M3 in the USA that can receive them.

In the case that my M3 would require a software update then I will put the CCC back in, a 20 minute job. If the CIC requires a software update there could be a way of doing that thru Autologic, but I have not tried that procedure yet. However, I already updated the CIC map data with 2010 maps.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:46 AM   #174
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET M View Post

IMO, right now the only CIC that should be swapped is the 2011.5 CIC as it is the best platform for future upgrades, like the Nuance Voice Control, built-in Sirius with TiVo-like recording features and most important of all, the capability of adding the Combox -with all the new iPod, and dual channel Bluetooth features it has- once a retrofit harness is created.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #175
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There was no harm, just like you said "old information"...

I have serviced my car without swapping the CIC back to CCC, and my two local dealers have seen my CIC setup and the only thing that they have commented is "great job". Actually, one BMW senior tech helped me by calling Assist and making my account compatible with Google MyInfo, so I can receive Google Maps messages thru the CIC... most probably the only MY2008 M3 in the USA that can receive them.

In the case that my M3 would require a software update then I will put the CCC back in, a 20 minute job. If the CIC requires a software update there could be a way of doing that thru Autologic, but I have not tried that procedure yet. However, I already updated the CIC map data with 2010 maps.
Hey Technic...what about Premium Audio? Do you know if that option works with this upgrade? What about Comfort Access?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #176
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Hey Technic...what about Premium Audio? Do you know if that option works with this upgrade? What about Comfort Access?
We have a MY08 M3 Sedan with Premium Audio/Comfort Access withing with the CIC upgrade as we speak.

Appreciate 0