BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

x-pipe options

I have an 08 e90 m3 and am looking into a tune and mid-section. My concern is I don't want to trade 20hp for a bunch of issues and 5mpg less at the pump. I am considering the challenge x-pipe with deleted primary cats and hfc secondary cats. What type of issues will I run into if I use this with the akra type r delete unit? How about with a tune instead. I'm looking for a little more serious exhaust note and some hp but not if I have cels all the time to deal with. What can I expect and which tune should I consider? Thanks

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

2 kinds of HFC x-pipes: Challenge style which puts the cats after the o2 sensors so you need a tune or a Delete R to eliminate the CEL.

Style 2 puts HFC's in the spot where primary cats live today and some claim to not throw a CEL but many do sporadically...according to many on this board. I am not aware of any performance advantages to one over the other.

I wouldn't bother with the Delete R personally. It's pretty pricey and gives no performance gain. You can get the Tune kit from Evolve and flash it back to stock anytime you want if you're concerned about dealership issues.
      07-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I'm not really concerned about dealer issues more worried about spending 2-3 grand having almost no extra hp while getting worse gas mileage and having codes thrown all the time. What in reality can I expect from these 2 upgrades, tune and deleted primary cats both positive and negative.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Taz@Evolve. P
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

You certainly won't have to deal with CEL's as we take care of the those with the tune. Our price includes our evolve-R remote tuning device, powertune and the removal of the CEL (as well as options such as speed limiter removal, raising of the rev limiter and throttle mapping options).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

tune + removing factory cats is generally accepted as the best way to make torque and HP across the band that you can feel.

I have the challenge sport now and there are zero drivability issues and gas mileage is about the same. I get around 14 MPG but I have 3 mile commute to work and no highway. Also, if I could drive like a normal person and stop revving the engine to hear the beautiful sound, it would be even better.
      07-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Okay thanks. I'm interested in any more info you can give me about your tune. What type of hp gain with your tune and a challenge pipe with primary cats gone?

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Okay thanks. I'm interested in any more info you can give me about your tune. What type of hp gain with your tune and a challenge pipe with primary cats gone?
Here you go, here's a good indication of what you can expect with an xpipe... this was using our own xpipe but you can expect similar gains with others:

It is a heavily developed tune that, apart from improving power throughout the range, also removes the top speed limiter, can raise the RPM limit at your request and can adjust throttle mapping to suit.

If you have any other question about it please let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

do you have any clips of what that sounds like with oem rear section and hfc mid pipe?

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
do you have any clips of what that sounds like with oem rear section and hfc mid pipe?
I'd be interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

What if there is something else wrong with your motor besides the O2 sensors. Will your car still warn you? Or does the Tune turn off the CEL light completely?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
What if there is something else wrong with your motor besides the O2 sensors. Will your car still warn you? Or does the Tune turn off the CEL light completely?
We turn off the 02 code only, the CEL light continues to operate to illustrate any other issues with the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

thanks paul got it all dialed in and seems to be working well. sal said he was going to send me another different tune for me to try out and havent heard back about that yet though.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Glad you got it dialled in Chris. I'll give Sal a chase
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Oh thats great. I didnt know you were able to do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

yep they do some crazy things these days. can control every aspect of the car if you want. damn computers.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this is the set up i have now with a challenge sport center section and OEM axle back. just did a short cold start video and warm up and my dumb camera made my car sound like a diesel truck so i cant help. i think it sounds good now just slightly raspy but not bad.

Appreciate 0