BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Only 1 side mirror auto dims (sometimes)

About 50% of the time the drivers side mirror won't auto dim when the passenger one does.

Are these connected to the same light sensor? I am assuming that they should both always dim at the same time.

So if one works and the other doesn't randomly its probably something in the mirror itself? I'll assume they share the same fuse.

Flaky wiring or maybe the element itself is flaky?
Could I swap left/right wires somewhere to see if the problem happens on the other side?

Anyone had this issue before?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I'm no expert, but I had a passenger mirror issue last year. And I tested whether the dimming worked by shining a flashlight in the rear view mirror. That made the side mirrors darken (as well as the rear view mirror).

So I assume the light sensor is in the rear view mirror.

Also, I used to drive with the rear window shade up (if you have that) and it seemed to dampen the light getting to my rear view mirror... This in turn would prevent my side mirrors from dimming as they should.

I'm not sure if that helps.
      07-31-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
sam w
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
About 50% of the time the drivers side mirror won't auto dim when the passenger one does.

Are these connected to the same light sensor? I am assuming that they should both always dim at the same time.

So if one works and the other doesn't randomly its probably something in the mirror itself? I'll assume they share the same fuse.

Flaky wiring or maybe the element itself is flaky?
Could I swap left/right wires somewhere to see if the problem happens on the other side?

Anyone had this issue before?
OP ... did you ever figure this out? I have a similar problem with my passenger side. Won't dim at all, even when driver's side dims. Any help would be great! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

My passenger side stopped dimming, and turned a light brownish colour. I ended up replacing the glass. Works like new again....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats View Post
My passenger side stopped dimming, and turned a light brownish colour. I ended up replacing the glass. Works like new again....
Bumping old thread.. Where did you source the glass from and do you have the part number handy? I'm having a similar issue with my passenger side glass only.

TIA
      05-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
Bumping old thread.. Where did you source the glass from and do you have the part number handy? I'm having a similar issue with my passenger side glass only.

TIA
Sorry, I don't have the part # handy, but I ended up grabbing a used mirror off this forum. When I looked years ago surprisingly I had a few to chose from. Installed easy, just took a bit of force to remove the old glass. For what it's worth I paid $205 shipped to CAN. That must have been USD.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post

TIA
"electrochromatic"

realoem.com

Vehicle trim -> Mirror
Appreciate 0