BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
ramirojusto
Rep
Drives: M3

iDrive doesn't show traffic option

Hi,

First of all, I apologize for my written English. I'm new to the forum so this is my first post. I'm Spanish guy who works in Mexico City half of the year. I’m planning to take a road trip from Mexico City to Denver this summer, so I just bought the latest North America DVD Maps for my 2009 M3 Sedan. It comes with two DVDs, one for the West Coast and Mexico and one for the East Coast. I was checking how to use the traffic option to give it a try on the other side of the border (there's no traffic information in Mexico for factory navigation systems) and I realized that it does not appear in my settings menu. Due to all I told you before, I have some questions:

Is it possible that traffic info is disabled so I have to take my car to a BMW Dealer in order to activate it?
Is it possible that iDrive is no showing the traffic settings item because there is no traffic signal available in Mexico?
Finally, do you think that maybe a traffic receiver isn’t installed in my car at all?
Since all BMWs on sale in Mexico have European specifications, not North American, would that be the problem?

Thank you very much for your help!

Ramiro
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
ramirojusto
Rep

Hi,

any help?

thank you!

Ramiro
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Although Traffic Info (TI) is a coding setting in the CIC, the bigger question is if your CIC is the same as the USA CIC.

Unfortunately, your Vehicle Order -the list of features which your car came from factory- is based on a Mexican-spec M3. Therefore no USA dealer will be able to override that VO to enable Traffic Info, be your CIC capable or not of TI, as there is no TI in Mexico.

That is like trying to enable Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) in the US CIC when it is an European feature not available here.

Now, this is something that could be custom coded by an Autologic shop. However, and again, it is not guaranteed that it will work if your CIC hardware/software does not support it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Although Traffic Info (TI) is a coding setting in the CIC, the bigger question is if your CIC is the same as the USA CIC.

Unfortunately, your Vehicle Order -the list of features which your car came from factory- is based on a Mexican-spec M3. Therefore no USA dealer will be able to override that VO to enable Traffic Info, be your CIC capable or not of TI, as there is no TI in Mexico.

That is like trying to enable Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) in the US CIC when it is an European feature not available here.

Now, this is something that could be custom coded by an Autologic shop. However, and again, it is not guaranteed that it will work if your CIC hardware/software does not support it.
EAS seems to be good with Autologic - he could stop of there and have them give it a try.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
ramirojusto
Rep

Smile

Thank you for all you answers!

So as far as I understand, you're suggesting me to go to a third party non-BMW Autologic shop. I'm pretty sure that my car supports Traffic Info. What I don't know is that if I get TI to be activated, it would work in the USA. That's because my Mexican Vehicle order is based on European specs and I don't know if American and European TI systems are compatible. The only thing that I'm pretty sure is that all Mexican BMWs have European specs. I've bought many parts in Spain for my wife's 130i hatchback (it is in Mexico) and even some for my M3. The part numbers always check.

Excuse me, what is EAS? an Autologic Shop?

Is there any Autologic Shop in Denver?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
ramirojusto
Rep

Hi,

more suggestions?

Thanks

Ramiro
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Primero, quiero decir que ojala que encuentras la solucion para este problema. Su M3 deja recibir las senales, pienso que no necesitas ir a una tienda para arreglar nada. No se por seguro, pero creo que no hay muchos transmisiones en muchos de los lugares alli.

Tal vez puedes mandar un mensaje privado a KonigsTiger. El es un miembro aqui y vive en Mexico, tal vez tiene ideas y sabe que pasa con eso.

Buena suerte amigo, y Bienvenidos aqui!

...y Desculpa porque no se escribir la idioma como dejo....soy weto.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB

Last edited by OC ///M; 06-24-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
ramirojusto
Rep

Pues ojalá y lo pueda resolver aquí en México.

¡Gracias!

Ramiro
Appreciate 0