BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

how to drop and add music to hard drive?

I read my manual for my 08 i drive and I couldn't find an answer to this:

Manual said I can load around 20,000 song files into the "car", i suppose they mean hard drive, though the manual didn't make 1 mention of the word "hard drive". It also said once I exceed the maximum capacity, I simply may lose "existing files" implying some sort of FIFO method.

Is there a way I can manually delete selected files out of the hard drive if I do reach this capacity?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I read my manual for my 08 i drive and I couldn't find an answer to this:

Manual said I can load around 20,000 song files into the "car", i suppose they mean hard drive, though the manual didn't make 1 mention of the word "hard drive". It also said once I exceed the maximum capacity, I simply may lose "existing files" implying some sort of FIFO method.

Is there a way I can manually delete selected files out of the hard drive if I do reach this capacity?
Are you sure that you are reading an '08 iDrive manual? The HDD iDrive is '09-on...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/e92-m3-manual.PDF

page 164 for the 08 coupe online edition manual:

"To connect the device, use the included flexible adapter cable to protect he USB interface and yoru USB device against physical damage.
To play audio tracks over the vehicle's loudspeaker system, connect the USB device to port 2.
After the device is connected for the first time, the information on all tracks and the playlists are transferred from the USB device to the vehicle. This procedure may take some time. The duration depends on the USB device and the number of tracks.
During transfer, you can select the tracks using the directories and file names.
After transfer, you can call up the tracks using the information and playlists.
Information from up to four USB devices or for about 20,000 tracks can be stored on the vehicle. If a fifth USB device is connected and if more than 20,000 tracks are stored, the information on existing tracks may be lost."

Last edited by mdosu; 09-16-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/e92-m3-manual.PDF

page 164 for the 08 coupe online edition manual:

"To connect the device, use the included flexible adapter cable to protect he USB interface and yoru USB device against physical damage.
To play audio tracks over the vehicle's loudspeaker system, connect the USB device to port 2.
After the device is connected for the first time, the information on all tracks and the playlists are transferred from the USB device to the vehicle. This procedure may take some time. The duration depends on the USB device and the number of tracks.
During transfer, you can select the tracks using the directories and file names.
After transfer, you can call up the tracks using the information and playlists.
Information from up to four USB devices or for about 20,000 tracks can be stored on the vehicle. If a fifth USB device is connected and if more than 20,000 tracks are stored, the information on existing tracks may be lost."
The transfer is of tag information, not the actual song file; 20000 tags could be stored in about 3MB of memory which most probably is a extremely cheap memory chip in the CCC.

The purpose of this is to access and search your USB stick songs faster, not to save your actual music files.
Appreciate 0