BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #45
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

You guys know how to ruin someone's day with these sorts of threads.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #46
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
You guys know how to ruin someone's day with these sort lof threads.

Who is responsible for ruin your and our days .....?
That's quite simple and in 3 letters.....=> BMW !
It's not our mistake !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #47
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
What is this?
Are you serious ?
Yeah. Not all of us have broken down an engine before believe it or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #48
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Replacing rod bearings and the crankshaft will fix this issue, or does the entire engine need to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #49
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
It's not our mistake !
Yeah, you're right...
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #50
vmudry
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yes I'm doing the work my self.. I'm not sure yet on brands ... Still doing research... And sadly the crankshaft has wear at #4 rod... So at this point I got whole engine with tranny out and now I gotta get it opened in order to get crankshaft out... Dealer gave me pricing on the crank of around $2300 but it's not in stock anywhere even Germany ...so he can't even get it ordered....
And how this happened.... Car had no noise at all, engine worked perfect and quiet... Even when I did a lot of drifting and stuff... One day I wanted to top the car, got it going 180mph then slowed down had it roll in neutral. After I put it in lower gear and just shifting around I heard knocking noise coming from the engine... And I could tell exactly where to knock was coming from... But to me sounded like from the top driver side... I slowly drove home and didn't drive the car since than... Now I got to look at rods, some of them are burned and all bearings have excessive wear and #4 actually spun inside and screwed the crank :
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #51
vmudry
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
You guys know how to ruin someone's day with these sort lof threads.

It's not our mistake !
I actually thought BMW stands for Brings Me Woman, but sadly it stands for Breaks My Wallet...
Appreciate 3
      12-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #52
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Can you share pics of the bearings?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #53
vmudry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes
Can you share pics of the bearings?
Sorry didn't really make a picture of them
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #54
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Yeah. Not all of us have broken down an engine before believe it or not.
Same thing here ! And I believe you .
Hope this bearing nightmare never happens with our S65 !
But sadly it's who's next ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #55
vmudry
Rep

Progress
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #56
vmudry
Rep

After some hours
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #57
vmudry
Rep

And more hours
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #58
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
You was on 40 ratings (appreciate) => now +1 => "41" !

Thank-you!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #59
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmudry View Post
Yes I'm doing the work my self.. I'm not sure yet on brands ... Still doing research... And sadly the crankshaft has wear at #4 rod... So at this point I got whole engine with tranny out and now I gotta get it opened in order to get crankshaft out... Dealer gave me pricing on the crank of around $2300 but it's not in stock anywhere even Germany ...so he can't even get it ordered....
And how this happened.... Car had no noise at all, engine worked perfect and quiet... Even when I did a lot of drifting and stuff... One day I wanted to top the car, got it going 180mph then slowed down had it roll in neutral. After I put it in lower gear and just shifting around I heard knocking noise coming from the engine... And I could tell exactly where to knock was coming from... But to me sounded like from the top driver side... I slowly drove home and didn't drive the car since than... Now I got to look at rods, some of them are burned and all bearings have excessive wear and #4 actually spun inside and screwed the crank :
Damn ! The part of never heard any noise..ticking or knock before that scares the 5H1T out of me ,I was counting on any noises before the big damage !
And agreed about the 3 letters BMW => breaks my wallet !
Saw your pictures and serious wear of your bearings showing a lot of copper !
Realy hope you can rescue your S65 .
Thanks for posting video and pics .

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #60
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Yes I'm doing the work my self.. I'm not sure yet on brands ... Still doing research... And sadly the crankshaft has wear at #4 rod... So at this point I got whole engine with tranny out and now I gotta get it opened in order to get crankshaft out... Dealer gave me pricing on the crank of around $2300 but it's not in stock anywhere even Germany ...so he can't even get it ordered.
Check ebaymotors, or junk yards. Best bet is to get a used one from a wreck or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #61
vmudry
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Damn ! The part of never heard any noise..ticking or knock before that scares the 5H1T out of me ,I was counting on any noises before the big damage !
Well all cars act different.. Some people never change oil or low oil and the engines go forever and some people suffer with even low milage engines... I guess mine was assembled by some drunk mechanic on 3rd shift hah... but M engines are all noisy and its normal... But if you hear a some different noise, I guess you should be worried and from experience I know that v8s don't like high RPMs
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #62
vmudry
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well all cars act different.. Some people never change oil or low oil and the engines go forever and some people suffer with even low milage engines... I guess mine was assembled by some drunk mechanic on 3rd shift hah... but M engines are all noisy and its normal... But if you hear a some different noise, I guess you should be worried and from experience I know that v8s don't like high rpm
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #63
vmudry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012
Quote:
Yes I'm doing the work my self.. I'm not sure yet on brands ... Still doing research... And sadly the crankshaft has wear at #4 rod... So at this point I got whole engine with tranny out and now I gotta get it opened in order to get crankshaft out... Dealer gave me pricing on the crank of around $2300 but it's not in stock anywhere even Germany ...so he can't even get it ordered.
Check ebaymotors, or junk yards. Best bet is to get a used one from a wreck or something.
I actually thought about it, but I don't want the same damage to occur... And if I put all new parts in, I will sleep better... Just a little hard to find parts like that but will keep looking...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #64
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
I'm not sure... I'm second owner on the car nothing was done by me...
Thanks for sharing your experiences, videos and pics. Your bearing wear was so excessive! What mileage did you purchase the vehicle? Did you gather any information at all about the service history, specifically oil changes, etc? What did the oil look like after the first ever oil change you did?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #65
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Once you're replacing the crank, absolutely get an aftermarket stroker crank. The Dinan crank actually fixes the bearing clearance issue, unlike a new stock crank.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #66
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Once you're replacing the crank, absolutely get an aftermarket stroker crank. The Dinan crank actually fixes the bearing clearance issue, unlike a new stock crank.
Is there any evidence of what you are claiming ?
So running 50K miles or more with Dinan or stroker crank... than take the engine apart and check crank and bearings for any wear ?
Who has done this,were and when ?
And when it's not done...it are only words and no fix !

Appreciate 0