BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

911 owner loves new M3

One of the members of Rennteam (and owner of a 997S) recently drove the new M3 on the Autobahn and loved the car. Initial impressions were that it was not to soft, had excellent handling, a very fexible powerband and, of course, an excellent sound.

Just wanted to pass this along.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
One of the members of Rennteam (and owner of a 997S) recently drove the new M3 on the Autobahn and loved the car. Initial impressions were that it was not to soft, had excellent handling, a very fexible powerband and, of course, an excellent sound.

Just wanted to pass this along.
Did he say anything about the steering feel relative to his C2S? The C2S is my favourite in this aspect.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
Did he say anything about the steering feel relative to his C2S? The C2S is my favourite in this aspect.

No, nothing about the steering. He did say that the 997S was clearly a little more sport oriented; as you would expect. But, the M felt as fast. The drive was limited to high speed sweepers and some minimal starights, but good feedback nonetheless.

I agree, steering and braking are definately Porsche strong suits.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, nothing about the steering. He did say that the 997S was clearly a little more sport oriented; as you would expect. But, the M felt as fast. The drive was limited to high speed sweepers and some minimal starights, but good feedback nonetheless.

I agree, steering and braking are definately Porsche strong suits.
Thanks. I suppose if a C2S driver doesn't particularly complain about the M3 steering feel, it shouldn't be that bad
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
BruceWain
Private
Rep
Drives: You Crazy

As I said B4 the brakes on the New M3 will be more than ample for the street.
Where most of us drive.
And
The steering will NOT be nearly as bad as reported.
Even Steved said the steering is better then the RS4 and that was after driving the two cars back to back.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWain View Post
As I said B4 the brakes on the New M3 will be more than ample for the street.
Where most of us drive.
And
The steering will NOT be nearly as bad as reported.
Even Steved said the steering is better then the RS4 and that was after driving the two cars back to back.
If I go for the M3, I'll need more than street grade brakes. The Sepang F1 track is only about 1/2 hr from my house It would also help if I can feel what the front tyres are doing on fast corners.

Come to think of it, I don't quite understand the problem M3 has with its brakes' stamina. Its front disc is 360mm (huge by any standard) and the steel unit from 997 Turbo is only 350mm... yet you don't hear complains of brake fade from the Porsche. It's not like the 997 Turbo is that much lighter than the M3... what gives?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
If I go for the M3, I'll need more than street grade brakes. The Sepang F1 track is only about 1/2 hr from my house It would also help if I can feel what the front tyres are doing on fast corners.

Come to think of it, I don't quite understand the problem M3 has with its brakes' stamina. Its front disc is 360mm (huge by any standard) and the steel unit from 997 Turbo is only 350mm... yet you don't hear complains of brake fade from the Porsche. It's not like the 997 Turbo is that much lighter than the M3... what gives?

The turbo has 6 piston monobloc calipers up front and four pistons in the rear vs. the M's single pot floating calipers. Only the front rotors on the M are larger as the rears on each car are 350mm. The turbo also weighs in over 150 lbs. less.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Feature vs. benefit

Quote:
The turbo has 6 piston monobloc calipers up front and four pistons in the rear vs. the M's single pot floating calipers. Only the front rotors on the M are larger as the rears on each car are 350mm. The turbo also weighs in over 150 lbs. less.
Claiming of features without explaining their benefits is not so useful. Certainly the brakes on P cars are superior to those on M cars and the PCCB brakes take it even a step further but I'd like to hear WHY the features you listed actually make the brakes better.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Claiming of features without explaining their benefits is not so useful. Certainly the brakes on P cars are superior to those on M cars and the PCCB brakes take it even a step further but I'd like to hear WHY the features you listed actually make the brakes better.
You would, would you?

Last edited by devo; 09-08-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Huh

Quote:
You would, would you?
Appreciate 0