Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
ryandoc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Edition

DSC Modes - Your Thoughts

A week ago I was out, on my own, cracking driving day on the North York moors.

Now, this is definetely the most technology I've experienced in a car. Ive always been a firm DSC kept on man, I'm not ashamed to admit my driving capabilities are not confident enough to loose the traction control altogether.

However the last few weeks I switched my M mode to 'M-Dynamic' for the DSC and had a good play the other week.

Now this wasn't exactly a top gear test, no power slides, tyre smoke etc lol. However I had a decent enough play.

It may have been placebo, but in terms of actually driving (ie not trying to make quick starts off a start line) I actually felt that DSC on gave the most responsive drive with the most feedback, I felt quite stongly about it, however I felt like I should have come to the conclussion that M-Dynamic woudl have been the best.

I wonder if its a reflection of my driving skills in general which doesnt bother me as the car challenges me greatly (I actually felt I got 'use' to my E46 M3 after 3 years), maybe if just felt safer and my sub conscience made me feel it was best, but my fore thoughts were that DSC being on allowed me to push harder and felt slightly more, maybe not quicker but well better.

What are your thoughts on this I'd be interested in feedback from a broad range of folk.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
stephengreen
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 monte carlo

I can't really see a case for switching the dsc off on public roads. A car driven up to but not triggering the stability systems would, imo, be as quick as the car being driven over its limit with it switched off. From a timed lap perspective, the car will be ultimately slower with it on, because it cuts in with a fair safety margin before the car would start to slide. The dynamic mode raises this threshold up to (and just beyond) its natural limit and in theory should be pretty close, if not identical in time, to a car on (but not over) the limit with dsc switched off. The margin Dynamic mode allows over the limit before finally cutting in is still enough to get into trouble on a public road especially for an inexperienced driver. So my advice would be to leave well alone unless you track the car and hopefully have the space if things go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I'm finding that I have to be more careful with the E92 I believe because of the DCT.

There is so much power on the back axle when full throttle changing gear in the wet you can feel the back end get a little out of shape.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Yep, leave the DSC on, on the public roads. It can end in tears with the amount of power we have especially in the wet or dry.
Appreciate 0