BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

Very useful thread thank you OP for posting this!!!

I'm going to a PCA event at chuckwalla on may 19-20. I'm running on comp rims with b&g springs and spacers. I hope that's ok?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #24
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
You have to come for grips that your paint will get focked up especially when you get behind someone with r-comps...which fling stuff at your car. And you will accumulate black tar streaks.
My car wears these with pride, like a red badge of courage (except black). I can take a tour around the car, thinking, "this rubber mark is from NJMP last November, and this one is from Watkins Glen in May..." At least my car is dark blue so it hides the marks fairly well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #25
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Don't take it negatively but I always find it funny when new people to the track tape up their cars.

It doesn't protect accidents and the black marks from the rubber take less time to clean than the time it took to put all that tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
You posted this in the wrong forum. Nice review. Just wanna point out that you'll find out the blue tape thing is such a PIA and quit caring about your paint at some point.

The biggest track no-no? Trying to wax your car in the paddock between sessions. I usually point and laugh.

So true about the community thing. When my engine blew in my 330, I got 5 offers for rides home even though I was about 2 hours out of the way.
Heh, when I go thru my track day photos, my car has less and less blue painters tape and, after about half dozen event, only masked the license plate, but I don't even do that any more.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #26
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
My car wears these with pride, like a red badge of courage (except black). I can take a tour around the car, thinking, "this rubber mark is from NJMP last November, and this one is from Watkins Glen in May..." At least my car is dark blue so it hides the marks fairly well.
Yea, dark cars show the marks more, but I'm with everyone here that eventually I'll get tired of taping.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #27
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Heh, when I go thru my track day photos, my car has less and less blue painters tape and, after about half dozen event, only masked the license plate, but I don't even do that any more.
Yea, I see cars all the time with their plate(s) taped over. Why do this?
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE]I will be at VIR with the PCA on those days too. Running in blue group number #11[/QUOTE

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I have Watkins Glen May 5&6 with my local GVC BMW CCA, then down to
VIR on the 18-20 with First Settlers PCA.....

See you all at VIR. I will be instructing with First Settlers. Good group to run with. Most likely #711
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Yea, I see cars all the time with their plate(s) taped over. Why do this?
vz
Insurance companies have (or used to have) people check out cars at the track to void their insurance in the event they claimed a track accident. I know of one instance where a guy at Road Atlanta crashed and had the crashed car towed to a public street nearby, where he called his agent. That of course is fraud anyway, but the point of covering your plate is hiding from the insurance scouts. Personally I don't cover mine because I know if I hit something I am paying.

Great first OP, may be sticky-material.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Yep, what Porschefile said
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Insurance companies have (or used to have) people check out cars at the track to void their insurance in the event they claimed a track accident. I know of one instance where a guy at Road Atlanta crashed and had the crashed car towed to a public street nearby, where he called his agent. That of course is fraud anyway, but the point of covering your plate is hiding from the insurance scouts. Personally I don't cover mine because I know if I hit something I am paying.

Great first OP, may be sticky-material.
Thanks dude, I'm updating comments as you experienced folks comment along, all good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo View Post
Very useful thread thank you OP for posting this!!!

I'm going to a PCA event at chuckwalla on may 19-20. I'm running on comp rims with b&g springs and spacers. I hope that's ok?
I'm sure you'll be fine! Have an awesome time out there. Others here can comment on whether riding on spacers for extended use on the track is a good idea, I've heard otherwise. Once is harmless.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #33
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

nice tape job~how long it took you?

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
nice tape job~how long it took you?
Not too long actually, maybe 10 mins?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

I think the license plate urban legend was started back before insurance companies all had exclusions to track driving. I don't think my insurance company cares if I wreck the car at the track because they're not liable.

As for taping up our car...maybe use some shelf paper or even spray some plastic dip on the front. There are other spray bras as well. Anythings got to be better than taping strips all over it.

Which NASA region were you with North East? NASA regions are all a little different so keep that in mind as you travel to different tracks. MidAtl is a great region but their HPDEs are often shadowed by racing.
      04-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I think the license plate urban legend was started back before insurance companies all had exclusions to track driving. I don't think my insurance company cares if I wreck the car at the track because they're not liable.

As for taping up our car...maybe use some shelf paper or even spray some plastic dip on the front. There are other spray bras as well. Anythings got to be better than taping strips all over it.

Which NASA region were you with North East? NASA regions are all a little different so keep that in mind as you travel to different tracks. MidAtl is a great region but their HPDEs are often shadowed by racing.
NASA NE, yep!

Painter's tape is perfect, it's cheap, easy to take off and put on and doesn't affect the paint.

As for spray bra, have you used it? If so, what brand and where did you buy it? Sounds interesting, didn't see anyone mention or use it on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
NASA NE, yep!

Painter's tape is perfect, it's cheap, easy to take off and put on and doesn't affect the paint.

As for spray bra, have you used it? If so, what brand and where did you buy it? Sounds interesting, didn't see anyone mention or use it on the track.
check this out~I order it~~
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=matte+blue

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #38
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
There's this option:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223

Then if you want to get crazier there's this convenient kit option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rNY9Dx617N8
http://dipyourcar.com/shop/category_...aram=cid%3D%26

Both spray on as something like a liquid vinyl layer, which peels right off as a sheet when you're done with it. I haven't sprayed my car before since I have a clearbra (with plenty of molten rubber spots melted into it), but I have sprayed my wheels black before. It was really neat/convenient as the brake dust just caked onto the wheel, then I just peeled the layer off and everything came right off, showing a completely clean wheel underneath. I imagine it'll do the same when applied to your front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #39
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Very nice option, I like it. The pro-kit is pretty expensive, but I like it because it seems to have a clean and easy application method. If it lasted 10-15 visits to track, then it would be cool.

The paint bucket approach seems cumbersome. Good price though, $25 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
There's this option:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223

Then if you want to get crazier there's this convenient kit option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rNY9Dx617N8
http://dipyourcar.com/shop/category_...aram=cid%3D%26

Both spray on as something like a liquid vinyl layer, which peels right off as a sheet when you're done with it. I haven't sprayed my car before since I have a clearbra (with plenty of molten rubber spots melted into it), but I have sprayed my wheels black before. It was really neat/convenient as the brake dust just caked onto the wheel, then I just peeled the layer off and everything came right off, showing a completely clean wheel underneath. I imagine it'll do the same when applied to your front bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

If you are having trouble cleaning your car after a HPDE, ask Martin - Auto Finesse -
for help. He has a host of products which will simplify the process.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Meguiars Swirl Remover is the best thing I've found for removing cone and tire clag. You have to wax after though.

I've tried polish, rubbing compound, clay, different pads and towels, goo gone, peanut butter, goof off, simple green....Meguiars Swirl Remover is the bees knees.
      04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #42
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I have Watkins Glen May 5&6 with my local GVC BMW CCA, then down to
VIR on the 18-20 with First Settlers PCA.....
ill be up there..

OP - good post! those on the fence, dont think you are pressured to 'race' its whatever you want it to be. stay open, and enjoy the ability to learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Meguiars Swirl Remover is the best thing I've found for removing cone and tire clag. You have to wax after though.

I've tried polish, rubbing compound, clay, different pads and towels, goo gone, peanut butter, goof off, simple green....Meguiars Swirl Remover is the bees knees.
mothers makes a rubber remover. it works decently. its good for quick cleanups.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/r3-ra...r-remover.html
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
dnotorious
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan DCT

OP Great Post. I was on that fence and was easily swayed to try tracking my car this summer. I have yet to register for some local events, but I have started to find a decent approved helmet, but didn't consider the points you have provided; although obvious to some; I was going to overlook a couple things like "brake/oil fluids" ;

I havent searched the forums. but this is a good sticky for those on the fence.. and need to know the basics to maximize their investment.

Subscribed and found some DYI linked to http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333653
E90 2007 BMW 335i - 6SPD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic - Sold

Last edited by dnotorious; 04-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: I searched yay
Appreciate 0