BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
vqtt
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

e92 m3 reliabilty after 50k miles ?

hey guys what are the reliable of these cars after 50k miles when the warranty is done ? is there any major service ? what about engine wise ?

btw flame suit is on just in case anyone wanted to flame .
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

It will depend largely on how it was cared for in the first 50k miles. If the only maint done was the scheduled maintenance, I'd probably expect problems. I've seen posts over the years of lab analysis of the fluids after a change, and they all show that the factory intervals are not condusive to longevity.

I'm sure the conversation at BMWNA goes something like this:
Increase the intervals.
Save money on the "scheduled maint" campaign.
Let our dealers make a killing when stuff starts falling apart after warranty.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP

I assume it's bad. BMW has one of the lowest year/mileage warranty offerings in the industry. I just hope I don't need a new $25,000 longblock at 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Honestly, i wouldn't buy any modern BMW after the warranty period if the 15k mile oil change intervals were followed. I really think that they require more frequent oil changes judging by the sludge I've seen only relatively young (60-70k mile old) modern BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

My M3 has 51k on it now. Knock on wood, no problems. Also, I plan to change the oil every 5k miles, and change out the fluids earlier than we're suppose to. 50k is not high mileage. I can see some people be scared away from these cars at that mileage; however, I do a lot of the work myself and enjoy doing it. I am staying away from tunes and performance upgrades for now since it's my DD. I have an E36 turbo to throw that money at. I've seen plenty of E36 and E46s with high mileage and not requiring any short/long block or $$$s.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

My main concern are major problems, like main bearings, vanos issues, idle valve, and tranny synchros. Unfortunately, my car could be affected by any or all of that, but with the little mileage I put on it a year, might never find out before warranty expires. And with my freaking luck, I don't want to take too many risks. Will wait to see more cars cross the 50K-mile mark, and then decide; I'm more than 2 years away from warranty expiring, so am not worried right now. But I'm tired of losing my a$$ selling like-new cars after 3 years because they're prone to major problems.

I don't like Vettes much, but the Z06 is starting to make sense if I want something that I can hold on for a while, due to its simplicity. No vanos, one cam, 16 valves, proven tranny on the new since '08 T6060, easy to work on, no complicated CAN wiring system, little electronic crap, etc. Cars are getting so complex and unreliable it's hard to justify keeping them after warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
My main concern are major problems, like main bearings, vanos issues, idle valve, and tranny synchros. Unfortunately, my car could be affected by any or all of that, but with the little mileage I put on it a year, might never find out before warranty expires. And with my freaking luck, I don't want to take too many risks. Will wait to see more cars cross the 50K-mile mark, and then decide; I'm more than 2 years away from warranty expiring, so am not worried right now. But I'm tired of losing my a$$ selling like-new cars after 3 years because they're prone to major problems.

I don't like Vettes much, but the Z06 is starting to make sense if I want something that I can hold on for a while, due to its simplicity. No vanos, one cam, 16 valves, proven tranny on the new since '08 T6060, easy to work on, no complicated CAN wiring system, little electronic crap, etc. Cars are getting so complex and unreliable it's hard to justify keeping them after warranty.
This is most definitely one of the cars I woudlnt keep after the warranty is out. If I REALLY like it then I would pop on an extended warranty before the 4/50 ran out but they sure arent cheap on these. I most likely will get rid of it just before the warranty runs out, not much I cant fix on a car but parts arent cheap for these and there are a lot of electronics that can go wrong and I dont want to invest in the diagnostic tools/manuals for it. Plus I dont like to work on my daily drivers, I'll change the oil between the 'free' changes and thats about it for me on this one.

As far as Vettes TR6060s have their issues (1-2 shift), along with the LS7s in the Z06s (valvetrain and bottom end) so nothing is problem free. IMO a modded GS would be the way to go. Everything is connected via CAN bus on C6s, door locks, radio, HVAC, everything so they are a little complex but not bad since a LOT of people work on them and most of common problems are out there on the internet.

I raced LS powered cars across the country for 7 years and its is without a doubt its a great engine for a pushrod V8. C6s are getting a little long in the tooth these days, I have had a couple of them and they are fun cars, cheap to mod (compared to these) and can go 100K miles with ease. But the interior isnt the best, if you can live with that (and no back seat) its hard to go wrong with a Z06 or GS vette, supposedly they fixed the 6060 1-2 shift issue in 2011 with different sycros.
Appreciate 0