BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
V8convert
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the perfect V8

Ok...so no CSL...any chance competition package?

We all lament the sad fact that there is unlikely to be an E9x CSL. Is there any likelyhood of a competition package ala M6 to sharpen up the steering feel, lose some extra weight etc...?

I really wanted to love the M3 but was somewhat underwhelmed by my testdrive. I guess the weight, numb(ish) steering and overly compliant ride (even in sport mode) were my biggest letdowns.

I really wanted to pull the trigger on a SSII at my dealer but I just felt it was like the E46 M3 had grown up and lost some of the thrill factor.

Im hoping there might be a competition package to address the above otherwise im on the market for a second hand M3CSL.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

"Waiting for the perfect V8"

Perfect only exists in theory. In the real world, there is no such thing as perfect anything, not cars, not houses, not wives, not kids.

You can get in any car in any price range and find faults. What car couldn't be better with 20 more horsepower and 100 less pounds?

I really don't think you can judge the M3 by a test drive. The more time I spend in the driver's seat the more I love the car. It is an incredible car. Sounds like you have been listening to the automotive press, who are not much more than whores looking to find something, ANYTHING wrong.

Drive the car for a couple of months and you will understand. Of course, you can hold out and die waiting for perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

It's possible but the competition package E46 M3 didn't feel very much different than the regular car. Same suspension, slightly tighter steering, but hardly a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

Perfect only exists in theory. In the real world, there is no such thing as perfect anything, not cars, not houses, not wives, not kids.

You can get in any car in any price range and find faults. What car couldn't be better with 20 more horsepower and 100 less pounds?

I really don't think you can judge the M3 by a test drive. The more time I spend in the driver's seat the more I love the car. It is an incredible car. Sounds like you have been listening to the automotive press, who are not much more than whores looking to find something, ANYTHING wrong.

Drive the car for a couple of months and you will understand. Of course, you can hold out and die waiting for perfect.
+1000

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

Ummm, he HAS a point. And how can one drive a car for a couple of months before buying? The E46 was more of a driver's car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
The E46 was more of a driver's car.
I'm not sure I agree with that exactly, though I know what you mean. I owned an '01 M3 for 6 years and it was a great car. I can't say I miss it, though. The E92 does everything better.

I think the problem for some is that the speed and limits and refinement are so much higher you can't experience that "on the edge" feeling on the street without getting pretty crazy. On the other hand, the power and responsiveness of the engine is very approachable in normal driving. They're both excelent driver's cars, just of a different sort.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0