BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Wait a minute..I understand not compounding/polishing it which removes layers of paint..but wax "adds" layers of protection

Sounds like you would definitely want to wax it regularly, as you want as much protection on it since you can't polish/compound it
I use wax on mine, not the usual stuff. Swissvax and Dr. Beasley's (and I am sure other's) have wax for matte paint.

Unfortunately you can not use touch up paint, as it would stick out like a sore thumb.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

There's wax made specifically for matte paint, but not sure how a regular wax would be bad for matte paint. I'm guessing possibly giving an unwanted sheen.

This member waxed his frozen black http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619371
The after pictures are more of a shiny matte if that makes sense.

But yes matte paint for hiding swirls would be great.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I use wax on mine, not the usual stuff. Swissvax and Dr. Beasley's (and I am sure other's) have wax for matte paint.

Unfortunately you can not use touch up paint, as it would stick out like a sore thumb.
Yes my point exactly..so that would mean adding wax to protect it is vital, as your correction options are limited
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #26
cocktail76
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2013

The truth sound delicate
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #27
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

U see, i am not that particular about the color of my cars...My E92 M3 and F10 M5 are both Frozen Gray. My next F82 M4 can be in any color so long as it's Frozen Gray.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
U see, i am not that particular about the color of my cars...My E92 M3 and F10 M5 are both Frozen Gray. My next F82 M4 can be in any color so long as it's Frozen Gray.

Awesome...so you own two frozen colors but you don't want to give us any insight into the day to day care of them? lol
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Awesome...so you own two frozen colors but you don't want to give us any insight into the day to day care of them? lol
I can't share much day to day care becos there is nothing to do to care for them. I chose FG due to its maintenance free nature apart from the stunning looks. As others have said, frozen colors don't suffer from swirls and water marks. That alone makes it head and shoulder over the normal glossy paint colors. I don't fancy polishing, waxing, hair pulling, etc...so frozen colors are ideal for lazy asses like me
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #30
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit
Guys frozen colors have the same clear coat as any other car only in a matte finish and maybe slightly different ingredients but it function like any other clear coat in terms of polishing, buffing and cleaning it. Its no different to take care of. only if you get a scratch through clear coat is it a pain because there are no easy touch up or repaint options
Whatever you do with your frozen paint job, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY!

Totally irresponsible to misinform people like this on a forum where people look for accurate information. Your advice would destroy the frozen finish requiring expensive correction.
+1
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #31
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

extremely delicate, and easily chipped...

Dealer dinted a few paint chipped spots, as of to this day, they are still unable to locate frozen white paint to repair the spots....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
I have a frozen gray on order but I'm not concerned as others are. From what BMW say; never use a buffing machine, clean bird droppings with a softener and wash as regular. Paint chips are to be repair by a full panel refinish. The mention of matt wax interests me as I would assume a wax would protect the top coat from the elements. Hmmm..
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #33
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenxesq View Post
extremely delicate, and easily chipped...

Dealer dinted a few paint chipped spots, as of to this day, they are still unable to locate frozen white paint to repair the spots....
What do you mean they are still unable to locate the paint?? I had an aftermarket bumper painted by my dealer at their body shop and put on before I even took delivery of my car. Paint matched perfect.

There is no magic to the paint, any competent body shop should be able to match it right up.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #34
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

From my experience, frozen paint is more resistant to bird droppings and plant saps. Stone chips are stone ships whether it's glossy or matte paint. U can't polish away stone chips. For me personally, i go by a more relaxed manner of ownership. There is no such thing as mint paint condition. Your paint job is always gonna take a beating on the road. I like to be cool abt these things. If the car accumulates enough chip, i will simply re-spray the panel involved. I am more concerned about the day-to-day behavior of the paint job especially on how the looks hold up. In this regard, frozen gray holds up really well as it still looks great even when it's filthy. I only send the car to manual car washes at the gas station and nothing more. All the maintenance nightmare u read about on frozen paint is all myth.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
chris s
Major General
Rep

good info here...thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #36
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

For frozen paint owners, the first and foremost thing I would advise is to get clear bra. There is matte clear bra for the car and it protects against rock chips etc. Secondly, i would get the front protected vs. the whole car. As for taking care of the paint, i would highly suggest the Swissvax system for rest of the body. You can polish the car but you have to be super careful and not use any wax. There are products designed for the paint and that should be used professionally. Last, I suggest only people who have garage and ways to take care of the car vs. who does not maintain their own car. It's a bit harder than regular paint only because it's new to the market and not all detailers knows the ins and outs. Youtube is great for learning to wash/maintain.

The frozen colors are amazing in person, initally i did not like it but now i am hooked.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #37
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I agree with the stunning visual of the matte colors. The concerns I would have has been stated, chips, scratches, finding detail shops that can adequately handle repairs, etc. If the finish were as durable, as say, Glock's tenifer coating, I'd go for it; else I'd just be afraid to drive the car. Just think if someone keyed the thing.
      01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #38
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I agree with the stunning visual of the matte colors. The concerns I would have has been stated, chips, scratches, finding detail shops that can adequately handle repairs, etc. If the finish were as durable, as say, Glock's tenifer coating, I'd go for it; else I'd just be afraid to drive the car. Just think if someone keyed the thing.

If someone keyed a standard glossy paint finish, you would be screwed just the same. Panels would need repainting as well and a reputable body shop would be required to match it properly, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
If someone keyed a standard glossy paint finish, you would be screwed just the same. Panels would need repainting as well and a reputable body shop would be required to match it properly, regardless.
I believe the matte paint is much higher priced, and how many repair shops would you trust to do the job correctly? There are a plethora of talented shops for gloss paint. How many in your area can master matte finishes?
      01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I believe the matte paint is much higher priced, and how many repair shops would you trust to do the job correctly? There are a plethora of talented shops for gloss paint. How many in your area can master matte finishes?

It's not higher priced....if it is, it's not significant. matte paint is simply a matte clear coat, the paint itself is the same, AFAIK.

Seeing as Matte finishes have been around since 2011 with BMW, i'm sure any BMW certified shop could do it. If not, surely your dealership either has paint in-house or uses a particular place that would be qualified.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #41
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

For one this topic has come up many times before and everyone thinks it's the end all be all.

THIS PAINT IS NOT DIFF THAN REG PAINT WITH A MATTE CLEAR

This has been reiterated many times before. I have numerous dealings w/ it from the collision industry. The base coat is the same and the clear coat has a flattening agent in it to make it "matte". That said, it's not diff to care for than a ref car. Yes you prob shouldn't polish the car religiously, but I don't even polish my car now and it looks fine. Bird shit and other issues are the same across the board. Bird shit will etch paint immediately and has to be removed to prevent damage on any finish. I don't see any issues using waxes and touch up shouldn't be an issue either. If your shop/dealer is telling you otherwise, run the other way
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #42
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
it's done exactly the same. The products used are all the same except for the flattening agent added to the clear
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #43
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I learn something new everyday. Thanks all for the clarification on the standard paint. I guess it seems it needed more care to come out perfect seeing as once it's applied, it didn't seem you could correct if there was an error applying.
      01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #44
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
What do you mean they are still unable to locate the paint?? I had an aftermarket bumper painted by my dealer at their body shop and put on before I even took delivery of my car. Paint matched perfect.

There is no magic to the paint, any competent body shop should be able to match it right up.
the dealer just doesnt want to fix his bumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0