BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looking for input - New intake / exhaust parts.

As some may know from my other posts, I run the production portion of a small aerospace design and fabrication company. We specialize in the fabrication of high-tolerance, jet engine exhaust and turbine components. Because of this I have full access to a nice 15k square foot factory filled with CNC machines, press brakes, you name it! I have a new exhaust design in the works, but that is a ways out, in the mean time I am designing a new intake elbow. Mine will be made out of .066" thick 6061 T6 temper aircraft grade aluminum with an enlarged and redisigned flowpath and some nice machined hardware. Very very light and strong! They can be annodized to any color or ceramic coated to insulate the intake charge from engine heat. The concept is finished, design is done, just need to make tooling. Im looking to see if anyone has any input on what they would like to see done with this part, improvements, ideas, etc. Also, if anyone has any other ideas or things they would like to see made, please feel free to PM me, I am always looking for new products to take on in my spare time.

I have not worked out any numbers yet but I believe I could offer these intake elbows at a very, very reasonable price point, making them a very attractive mod.

Anyways, just looking for some input from some of you guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I'd be interested, but I think people would want a dyno showing an improvement in power, or if it's cheap enough then people would get it just because it looks cool.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

as stated by Aus, I think the first thing you should keep in mind WAY ABOVE anything else, is power. If you can make power with the design, it probably wouldn't matter if its purple with pink stripes, people would buy it.

After that you have to make it look nice. I personally like the look of raw looking materials. Specially when it comes to aluminum. And as for advice for the design (besides the ones I've already given) just make it easy to install on the stock intake box and intake charger.
      01-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

I would definitely be interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Cameraeye
Ghetto Blasta
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cement Truck

test it extensively
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

I will definately get some dyno numbers done, we have an oldy but goody US Army bench flow tester we are going to use to get some flow numbers to help with the design. So far it looks cool on the computer, now just the tooling!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

If you want to send out some prototypes I would be willing to test it out as well; one of my buddies owns a shop and a dyno and let's me "experiment" form time to time and let me use his dyno as much as I want.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

If it makes proven power for a decent price count me in!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I might be interested, but keep in mind there is already a serious glut of exhaust products out there. You would have to do a lot to make yours stand out and if it were as high end as you say it would probably not be competitively priced. It would also need to show real gains.

As for intakes, I really don't see how the stock intake design lacks. There are aftermarket products that have yet to be independently tested, even though they've been on the market for a while.
      01-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
If you want to send out some prototypes I would be willing to test it out as well; one of my buddies owns a shop and a dyno and let's me "experiment" form time to time and let me use his dyno as much as I want.
I will most definately give you a buzz when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I might be interested, but keep in mind there is already a serious glut of exhaust products out there. You would have to do a lot to make yours stand out and if it were as high end as you say it would probably not be competitively priced. It would also need to show real gains.

As for intakes, I really don't see how the stock intake design lacks. There are aftermarket products that have yet to be independently tested, even though they've been on the market for a while.
Actually, I believe the CF intake elbows introduced last year did show some gains on the dyno!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL View Post
Actually, I believe the CF intake elbows introduced last year did show some gains on the dyno!
Are you referring to the AP intake elbow?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
Are you referring to the AP intake elbow?
I was referring to the Envy Charge Pipe, I thought I saw that someone did a before / after dyno with it, but I can't find it for the life of me...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Never been independently tested. Only tested by vendors or people with sponsorship ties to vendors.