BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #23
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Since my question didnt get read/answered the first time, and others are also asking... Why did you install this? What are you trying to solve for?
+1 on this. Had a catch can on my last car and it didn't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Generally only needed with modified forced induction cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #25
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Is there a Carbon one?
I think this is it. It says carbon and aluminum for e9x m3 but the pic doesn't show it

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap...gw067041c.html
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #26
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

That fake AN fitting though
      03-06-2017, 01:40 AM   #27
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I went to the track last weekend and i had a great chance to testing my oil catch can.
I've checked it every each section. It worked out fine. Just like my thought.

in cold & little wet humidity ambient condition (33~41F,1~5C)

in warm & normal humidity ambient condition (50~59F, 10~15C)

I've been checking out the catch cans the colors, smell, and richness. And found out that the most of the components are coming from fuel mist.

I've been sending my oils to Blackstone every 3~5 times i finished my track session.(scoop out from the engine) And i haven't received any results of fuel until now. And there have been very few engine oil consumption after several track driving.

But in this oil catch can, the most of the component are Gasoline, little bit of water, and etc. and i assume that the Gasoline comes from the inside of Cam Shaft cover.

As far as i know, 70% of blow-by gas contains fuel. But in my case, after the track session it went up to more than 70%

I'll try several more sessions and write up an update.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #28
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
am i to understand that without this catchcan mod, this liquid is routed to the intake/throttleboddies?

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #29
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The vapor may get burned in the motor and the liquid may be dropped into the oil pan on a typical oil separator system.

I cannot quite decipher the OP's comments. Is he saying that blowby averages 70% fuel according to blackstone and that due to track use his blowby is above 70% fuel? Is his car a track car?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
am i to understand that without this catchcan mod, this liquid is routed to the intake/throttleboddies?
yes. most of vapor or mist will be routed to intake manifold, and liquid(liquefied by OEM oil separator ) will be back to inside of camshaft cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #31
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The vapor may get burned in the motor and the liquid may be dropped into the oil pan on a typical oil separator system.

I cannot quite decipher the OP's comments. Is he saying that blowby averages 70% fuel according to blackstone and that due to track use his blowby is above 70% fuel? Is his car a track car?
Generally 70% of blow by gas is fuel according to research paper about blow by gas that I read.
yes. track only car since 3~4 years ago. So I installed catch can.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #32
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Since my question didnt get read/answered the first time, and others are also asking... Why did you install this? What are you trying to solve for?
first of all, for maintaining clean inside of manifold.
Idle actuator failure is one of the most common problem on our S65 engine.
Did you ever remove and check intake manifold(I/M) and idle actuator(I/A) system? so dirty and oily. especially hoses connected to I/A and I/M.

blue(connected to I/A) is very close to red(oil separator). I think this is one of the main cause of I/A failure. If you remove I/M and check blue portion and I/A system, you may understand the reason why I install catch can.

And, yellow is connected to return hose that is attached to crank case with check valve. yellow is NOT for blowing out gas from crank case, for returning oil, water and etc that are liquefied from blowby gas by fresh and cool intake air to crank case. There is no crack case ventilation hose on our S65 engine.

photos are s65 race engines installed catch can
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
roastbeef11586.00
Mvy540.50
jvictormp881.00
DrFerry6728.50
      03-07-2017, 01:51 AM   #33
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Catch cans are amazing on FI injection motors. Help catch a lot of crap that would otherwise be vented back into your crankcase and what-not.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:11 AM   #34
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Anyone know if anyone sells the fittings to block off and for the an fitting on the cam covers
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #35
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76
Quote:
Did you ever remove and check intake manifold(I/M) and idle actuator(I/A) system? so dirty and oily. especially hoses connected to I/A and I/M.

blue(connected to I/A) is very close to red(oil separator). I think this is one of the main cause of I/A failure. If you remove I/M and check blue portion and I/A system, you may understand the reason why I install catch can.

And, yellow is connected to return hose that is attached to crank case with check valve. yellow is NOT for blowing out gas from crank case, for returning oil, water and etc that are liquefied from blowby gas by fresh and cool intake air to crank case. There is no crack case ventilation hose on our S65 engine.

Thanks for the details. As I said in my first post I wonder if the catch cans will reduce the amount of fuel that ends up in the oil. It would be interesting to see if you do not have fuel in your oil during your next Blackstone test after installing the cans. We know these cars, even in non forced induction scenarios, deposit fuel in the oil. If you go too long without an oil change, it impacts oil viscosity. Though I have seen the build-up you talk about, it's never created any issues for me even with forced induction. But I don't track my car. So far the fuel in my oil has been measurable, but not high enough to impact oil viscosity.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #36
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
thanks. looks a lot like the turner brace. i'm curious if the bases of the oem firewall brace need to be modified or something.
I bought this carbon strut braces from Wiecher sports official dealer 4years ago. Mine has Wrapped up carbon fiber with Aluminum inside.

In order to install this strut braces, you need to have some modification on strut mount. The mount on car needs to be grind off as much as the thickness of the strut braces mounting bracket.
The stock mount on car is made out of aluminum, so you can easily grind off of it.
You can definitely tells that it went stiff after you mount the strut braces at front.

The additional pictures you see here is the carbon fiber rear strut tower bar.
After installing rear strut tower bar, my M went much stiffer and have a little bit of over-steers.
Attached Images

2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
DrFerry6728.50
      03-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
I bought this carbon strut braces from Wiecher sports official dealer 4years ago. Mine has Wrapped up carbon fiber with Aluminum inside.

In order to install this strut braces, you need to have some modification on strut mount. The mount on car needs to be grind off as much as the thickness of the strut braces mounting bracket.
The stock mount on car is made out of aluminum, so you can easily grind off of it.
You can definitely tells that it went stiff after you mount the strut braces at front.

The additional pictures you see here is the carbon fiber rear strut tower bar.
After installing rear strut tower bar, my M went much stiffer and have a little bit of over-steers.
thank you very much for posting those pics, this is exactly what i was envisioning, i just didn't know if it was feasible.
      06-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #38
DimitrisM3
e90 my big fat lady!
Greece
Rep
Drives: e90

Nice and clean next mod for oil catch can
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #39
TuningTech FS
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mercedes, & Porsche

Nice job OP. Catch cans do wonders a small price for long term happiness.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #40
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

Anyone know where I can purchase adapters to replace the PCV valve and CCV valve?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #41
T!m3
BMW maniac!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M3 e92

We have the same wheels) are yours r20's?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #42
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

Quote:
At last, I made and installed oil catch cans.

I made adapters and caps instead of stock oil separators, then installed with aftermarket oil catch tanks.

Hey great set up. If you can by any chance could you please send me more pictures of where tubing is connected. I’m looking to do the same thing but I just want to be safe. Please let me know. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #43
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Here is the info on the Wiechers Strut Tower Brace for an e9x and e9x M3.

Read closely (drop down) below as they make a front and rear strut tower brace in both aluminum, and CF/aluminum.

https://www.wiechers-sport.de/en/sho...ne-oben-detail

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-wiechers...7/067041c~wie/

Comes in Aluminum for half the price...

Photos above show a modded front suspension with EDC removed and camber plates on top. So your install might be different. Might have to pair it with Dinan CF braces.

Getting this CF brace for my F30 335i, but not the M3. Painted V8 plenum and Eventuri CF intake filter and air box cover will probably be enough eye candy.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #44
South_CoastE92
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Competition package

Quote:
Quote:

anyone able to help identify the car in picture # 4 (2nd from bottom)? Thx 🙏
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50