BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

04-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
P3cars VIDI installation?

Has anyone looked into, or have installed one of these vent gauges?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...i-335i-m3.aspx

I'm considering one, but I figured someone here would have done it already since these have been out a while.

Thanks in advance.
      04-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I bought one and installed it a few weeks ago. Overall I think it is pretty cool and I plan on using it mostly for a boost gauge but I don't have the S/C installed yet. The install isn't too bad - I did it during my lunch hour at work. I mostly leave it on coolant temperature but am going to try another 0-60 one of these days with my summer tires - it did 4.81 with my snow tires not using launch control. I also like that it has the recall feature even if it is only for the past 15 seconds. It is a little bit annoying that the display reflects in my side view mirror at night when the mirror is in the auto-dim mode but nothing that I would remove the unit for.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

I installed one this weekend and ran the vacuum line to my supercharger. Great way to monitor your car's performance without having a bunch of gauges that you can't even see while driving. This one is in a great position, looks OEM, has cool features, and is easy to install. I'd recommend ordering the kit without the pre installation on the vent. It adds about 3 min to the install and will save you $60.
      04-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll order one. Looks like a solid unit.
      04-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
I installed one this weekend and ran the vacuum line to my supercharger. Great way to monitor your car's performance without having a bunch of gauges that you can't even see while driving. This one is in a great position, looks OEM, has cool features, and is easy to install. I'd recommend ordering the kit without the pre installation on the vent. It adds about 3 min to the install and will save you $60.
I'm glad you finally got a boost gauge. What are you boosting ? Pm me the numbers thanks
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Has anyone looked into, or have installed one of these vent gauges?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...i-335i-m3.aspx

I'm considering one, but I figured someone here would have done it already since these have been out a while.

Thanks in advance.
A shitload of people have these, especially the 3-series crowd. *VERY* instrumental in helping me resolve some battery issues. The 0-60 timer isn't exclusive to Turner, as I have it on the unit I picked up in Dec.

If you can do w/out the 60-0 timer, I'd suggest picking up the regular P3 unit that isn't pre-installed in the vent from eBay user "garthvadermotorsports". Like all other companies, he's asking for $409. I simply told him that the price point at which he's trying to sell isn't what the market supports, and after some discussion, we agreed on $335 shipped, BNIB. Got here in a timely manner, transaction was excellent.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 04-16-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
A shitload of people have these, especially the 3-series crowd. *VERY* instrumental in helping me resolve some battery issues. The 0-60 timer isn't exclusive to Turner, as I have it on the unit I picked up in Dec.

If you can do w/out the 60-0 timer, I'd suggest picking up the regular P3 unit that isn't pre-installed in the vent from eBay user "garthvadermotorsports". Like all other companies, he's asking for $409. I simply told him that the price point at which he's trying to sell isn't what the market supports, and after some discussion, we agreed on $335 shipped, BNIB. Got here in a timely manner, transaction was excellent.
Nice tip! Yes, I can go without the timers. Thanks, man.
      04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I wish I knew this a few weeks ago too - I would have saved a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice tip! Yes, I can go without the timers. Thanks, man.
Not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I wish I knew this a few weeks ago too - I would have saved a lot of money.
Sorry about that :-( It was around Christmas time, and I was meaning to post it, but didn't as I wanted to make sure everything functioned correctly prior to blasting it out on the forum. I didn't get around to installing it until a couple months ago.

Like you, I get a little miffed about the reflection in the side mirror. I mean it is DEAD ON in the middle of the mirror. I've been meaning to figure out how to address that, but haven't quite yet.

Another tip to share is that the connector *can* be removed without removing the kick panel every time. If you undo the door gasket in that area, you can push the panel towards the transmission tunnel enough so that you can slip it by the white fastener closest to the door. It'll be a better visual once you have the unit. Handy when you have to plug in an OBDII cable for programming and such, or when you have to get your inspection sticker. The fit is still very tight with this method, but it's doable, as I've done it a few times now.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 04-16-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Longbow64
_______
Rep

That's funny you mention the reflection on the driver mirror. That's the first thing I noticed too. At first I skipped the optional wire tap into the dimmer wire. I tried the manual function for a day and then went back in and tapped the wire. It's better but still reflects. I've been looking at getting an OBD-II Y-cable so I can keep the gauge connected and run data logs or just have general access to a connection.
      04-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
So can the unit be dimmed very low or completely off like the nav unit? I don't think it will be a problem, if it is, I'll attach a small velcro "patch" at night.
      04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Quote:
So can the unit be dimmed very low or completely off like the nav unit? I don't think it will be a problem, if it is, I'll attach a small velcro "patch" at night.
Yes. The unit can be wired (optional; but very simple; comes with the wire tap) then in the settings you can set the display to automatically dim. You can also select persistant dimming which remembers your last setting. Without wiring manual dimming is enabled by holding button 2 down for a couple seconds. You can also turn the display off completely.

Last edited by Longbow64; 04-16-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. The unit can be wired (optional; but very simple; comes with the wire tap) and in the settings you can set the display to automatically dim. You can also select persistant dimming which remembers your last setting. Manual dimming is enabled by holding button 2 down for a couple seconds. You can also turn the display off completely.
Perfect ... it has all the options I'd need. Spending $ now ... thanks everyone.
      04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's funny you mention the reflection on the driver mirror. That's the first thing I noticed too. At first I skipped the optional wire tap into the dimmer wire. I tried the manual function for a day and then went back in and tapped the wire. It's better but still reflects. I've been looking at getting an OBD-II Y-cable so I can keep the gauge connected and run data logs or just have general access to a connection.
*lol*, funny you mentioned having a Y in there, it's on my to-do list. If you look at how the OBD II access port is mounted, it looks like you can unscrew the 2 mounting screws and slide it back a bit. The only problem I've been having is finding a low profile Y that will work. The part that plugs into the OBD II in all the units I've seen are LONG and the plastic inflexible. Everything I've seen would require unmounting the OBD II port from the original mounting location and stuffing it in the kick panel, then using some alum. strapping to attach the open side of the Y. I've also read some posts in the not-too-distant past on other forums that indicate some people have issues with the Y not relaying data/not working. The search continues...

Last edited by whats77inaname; 04-16-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

If it gave oil pressure, I would be much more interested. I don't understand why Chrysler gives me oil temp and oil pressure in a 185 horsepower 1997 4L Jeep GC with a 5k redline, and BMW doesn't give it to me in an M3. Oh well. VDO to the rescue.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Longbow64
_______
Rep

The gauge has two expansion connections on the controller to add additional readings.
      05-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
bishop4142
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
  [0.00]
P3 Vent Gage

I installed this a few weeks ago and find it adds another dimension to the car. Bought mine from Turner and had it within a day at a reasonable price. I went with the vent pre-installed to save a hassle. While I was at it I enabled the rear fog light
Attached Images

Appreciate 0