BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Mporium BMW

12-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
abugiacomo
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: s54 clown shoe (2002 m coupe)

another happy oem exhaust modder

so i just got my modded stock exhaust installed and wow -- online videos really don't do the results justice...for me -- a guy in his mid-thirties with a wife and kids -- this mod seems to be the perfect balance between an enhanced/more aggressive sound and over-the-top loudness...in fact, from inside the car in most driving situations, i really can't tell a difference between modded and stock...but when you get on the throttle a bit the sound really comes alive...oh, and the ride from piper to my office was about 20 minutes on the toll road -> beltway cruising between 65mph - 80mph and i noticed no drone what so ever...

huge shout out to robbie and the guys at piper motorsports for a top notch job...special thanks as well to tuner1984 for the donor exhaust...and last but certainly not least, props to periokid for the initial idea...obviously this mod has been discussed ad-nauseum on this forum, but just in case anyone is curious, the basic steps we/piper took were;

1) cut open the top of the can
2) remove the sound deadening material
3) cut and remove the two larger perforated tubes (the smaller perforated tubes that are covered with the steel wool-like material were untouched)
4) fabricate and weld in two non-perforated exhaust tubes in place of the old perforated ones
5) stuff the sound deadening material back in
6) spot weld the two layers of the muffler together (this was done to ensure no rattling over time...note that this would only be necessary on early e9x exhausts as i believe bmw switched to single-layer cans in either 2010 or 2011)
7) weld the top of the can back on
8) paint the can with flat black silicone-based paint

below are a couple pics of the finished product (bottom, top, then a close up of the top to see the welds)...i'll post more pics of the work in progress a little later on...
Attached Images

Last edited by abugiacomo; 12-02-2011 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: type-o
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 - 2019 X4 M40i

Nice.... Any vids coming?
How much did it cost and how long did it take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
so i just got my modded stock exhaust installed and wow -- online videos really don't do the results justice...for me -- a guy in his mid-thirties with a wife and kids -- this mod seems to be the perfect balance between an enhanced/more aggressive sound and over-the-top loudness...in fact, from inside the car in most driving situations, i really can't tell a difference between modded and stock...but when you get on the throttle a bit the sound really comes alive...oh, and the ride from piper to my office was about 20 minutes on the toll road -> beltway cruising between 65mph - 80mph and i noticed no drone what so ever...

huge shout out to robbie and the guys at piper motorsports for a top notch job...special thanks as well to tuner1984 for the donor exhaust...and last but certainly not least, props to periokid for the initial idea...obviously this mod has been discussed ad-nauseum on this forum, but just in case anyone is curious, the basic steps we/piper took were;

1) cut open the top of the can
2) remove the sound deadening material
3) cut and remove the two larger perforated tubes (the smaller perforated tubes that are covered with the steel wool-like material were untouched)
4) fabricate and weld in two non-perforated exhaust tubes in place of the old perforated ones
5) stuff the sound deadening material back in
6) spot weld the two layers of the muffler together (this was done to ensure no rattling over time...note that this would only be necessary on early e9x exhausts as i believe bmw switched to single-layer cans in either 2010 or 2011)
7) weld the top of the can back on
8) paint the can with flat black silicone-based paint

below are a couple pics of the finished product (bottom, top, then a close up of the top to see the welds)...i'll post more pics of the work in progress a little later on...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ci - E90 ///M - 330 - X5D

Congrats I have about 35k on mine and it's still working well.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

yeah how much?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah how much?
+1. If he can hook us up-we can all stand in line on a nice Saturday to get this done. We'll have our own mini M3post meet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

^ i woudn't opt to paint mine, so probably about 1-2 hour worth of labor cheaper for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
abugiacomo
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep

the piper bill came out to $670 -- 6.5 hours of labor plus about $50 in shop supplies -- which is a bit pricey considering what this mod can be done for if one decides to go the tape or clamp route (rather than cutting and welding in solid replacements for the two large perforated tubes)...plus that price includes the painting and uninstallation/installation...at the end of the day i was ok with paying a bit of a premium because i wanted the tubes actually replaced (for longevity sake) and because i believe piper to be a top notch shop...

i asked robbie about the "group buy" idea and honestly he didn't seem too interested...he was totally cool about it, and would be happy to do this mod for any other forum members (my brother is actually having his done next week), but they're pretty much at capacity as is, so significant discounts aren't really in the cards...of course, i've never been the most charming dude in the world, so maybe some of you guys can convince him to go lower???
      12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
abugiacomo
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep

a couple pics of the inside...
Attached Images

12-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Steve,

Can't wait to check it out sometimes next week.
Thanks for the PM and taking the time to show me.

Raja
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Steve,

Can't wait to check it out sometimes next week.
Thanks for the PM and taking the time to show me.

Raja
I wanna hear this too!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

Baarii,

Can you PM me your number again? I will coordinate with you to meet up with Steve next week then. Also want to check out your new ride. I see you are already selling it too. Big Baller. What's next?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Baarii,

Can you PM me your number again? I will coordinate with you to meet up with Steve next week then. Also want to check out your new ride. I see you are already selling it too. Big Baller. What's next?
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Tuner1984
1 Stock M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Slow

Garage List
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Barii u still have the M? Steve glad everything worked out for you.

Current: E46 M3
Retired: 2009 E90 AW M3
Retired: 2007 E90 AW 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
k2e15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Any Sound Clips?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
abugiacomo
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarii View Post
I wanna hear this too!
tentatively, my brother is having his installed first thing monday morning -- between 9am - 10am -- at piper...if that day/time/place is convenient for any of you guys it'd be a good chance to hear it while also discussing the process with robbie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner1984 View Post
Steve glad everything worked out for you.
wouldn't have been possible if not for you selling me your old stock exhaust -- so thanks to you my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2e15 View Post
Any Sound Clips?
i never thought i was a tech retard, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to post videos on here...maybe someone should post a diy thread for that :-)...

Last edited by abugiacomo; 12-07-2011 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: type-o
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner1984 View Post
Barii u still have the M?
Yes Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
tentatively, my brother is having his installed first thing monday morning -- between 9am - 10am -- at piper...if that day/time/place is convenient for any of you guys it'd be a good chance to hear it while also discussing the process with robbie...

wouldn't have been possible if not for you selling me your old stock exhaust -- so thanks to you my friend...

i never thought i was a tech retard, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to post videos on here...maybe someone should post a diy thread for that :-)...
Can only to after 6PM Weekdays! Tell Robbie Baari said hi! Not sure how much he is charging you labor but he usually gives me a break or anyone I send over.

So from your computer you upload the video on youtube and then get the link for the video and just use the last part of the url for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reFHXfOFWYI
So you would copy reFHXfOFWYI
In advance editing mode for the post on here click the youtube button and copy those characters in between: [u2b]characters from the youtube link go here[/U2B ]
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
SPEED & TECH MOTORING
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 aw/fr M-THREE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarii View Post
Yes Sir!

Can only to after 6PM Weekdays! Tell Robbie Baari said hi! Not sure how much he is charging you labor but he usually gives me a break or anyone I send over.

So from your computer you upload the video on youtube and then get the link for the video and just use the last part of the url for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reFHXfOFWYI
So you would copy reFHXfOFWYI
In advance editing mode for the post on here click the youtube button and copy those characters in between: [u2b]characters from the youtube link go here[/U2B ]
what is Piper's number? I want to call them up to set something up.

Last edited by SPEED & TECH MOTORING; 12-16-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED & TECH MOTORING View Post
what is Piper's number? I want to call them up to set something up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Did you guys ever meet?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

no, we never met. But over the holidays Karim came to my house to show me his OEM exhaust mod. I think it sounded good. Plus for the cost of it, i think it's a no brainer.
Appreciate 0