BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

M3's up north?

So, the wife and I just spent the last 5 days driving from SoCal (Burbank) to Napa. Spent two days there, then drove to San Fran and spent 2 days there. Just wondering if M3's are not as popular up north. In the LA area, you see them all the time. During my 1300 mile trip, I only saw one M3 which was parked at Beringer Winery in Napa. Saw a lot of 335's though... Those were mostly parked in Nob Hill.... What do you guys think?

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

My impression is that M3's really aren't that common outside of SCAL and certain parts of the east coast. I certainly don't see many in the PNW.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Avly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16MPG

Less obsessive car culture. A lot of people who can afford M3's or similar cars are not interested in spending their money like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

A lot of people with money in SF area are more interested in other things than luxury goods... They'd rather spend the money elsewhere. It's part of the techie culture that a lot of the people making money are in.

Also, those who do live in the city have no need of a car. You can walk and take public transportation everywhere. Owning a car is more headache than its worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I honestly don't see many at all and I'm in Socal. Just depends on exactly where you are.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
My impression is that M3's really aren't that common outside of SCAL and certain parts of the east coast. I certainly don't see many in the PNW.
I disagree. I work in Bellevue and saw 15 yesterday alone, and another 7 thus far today.
      07-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
A lot of people with money in SF area are more interested in other things than luxury goods... They'd rather spend the money elsewhere. It's part of the techie culture that a lot of the people making money are in.

Also, those who do live in the city have no need of a car. You can walk and take public transportation everywhere. Owning a car is more headache than its worth.
Thanks for the info... I love SF... Traffic is a little pain but was an awesome trip.... I couldnt believe it was 105 degrees in Napa, then an hour drive and it was 57 degrees!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx
They are popular out here. I see quite a bit of M3s in CT and MA, and not just E9Xs. A guy in town has a silver E46. A guy a work has a silver E36. Seen a few M5s and M6s too.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
I work in Bellevue and saw 15 yesterday alone, and another 7 thus far today.
Wow. I'm lucky to see a couple on a weekly basis in the Vancouver, BC area.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I see a ton of them on the Peninsula... probably at least 3 per day (Mountain View, Palo Alto, Redwood City)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Maybe not in the city, but I do see plenty around the Bay Area. I work in the Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and Mountain View area and see a good concentration of M3's here.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

A bit of clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeez View Post
Wow. I'm lucky to see a couple on a weekly basis in the Vancouver, BC area.
1. I am a total dork for counting how many M3's I see in a day.
2. Bellevue is about 15 minutes East of Seattle and 5 minutes West of Redmond (where MS is); so there is a TON of money/wealthy people here.
3. I need to find something less pathetic to occupy my time (see #1).

07-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I see an M3 almost every time I drive around here.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
So, the wife and I just spent the last 5 days driving from SoCal (Burbank) to Napa. Spent two days there, then drove to San Fran and spent 2 days there. Just wondering if M3's are not as popular up north. In the LA area, you see them all the time. During my 1300 mile trip, I only saw one M3 which was parked at Beringer Winery in Napa. Saw a lot of 335's though... Those were mostly parked in Nob Hill.... What do you guys think?
I'm out in San Francisco quite often and stay with a friend who lives in West Portal. I see M3s EVERYWHERE. I think within a one block radius I saw 3 one day, including an e90, which I rarely ever see on the East Coast.
      07-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

We got a good amount of them here in Chicago too
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
BTW, you made my homework easy; cause I want to take the same trip to Napa, and I wanted to figure out how long will it take and such.
In regards to M3s and north; certain areas you will find them, certain areas are rare. Just depends what's more feasible.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

In CT I see quite a few M3s, not a lot. But have to say that Fairfield County is BMW central. So many eyecandy here.
      07-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Not too many in the Northeast outside of major metro areas. Even with luxury brands, most people have some type of AWD car. M3 is usually a "toy". That's how it is for me also. Wouldn't own an M3 as an only car living in New England. Have probably only seen about 20 e9x M3s in the 4 years they have been out, car show events notwithstanding. More e46s, however.

Last edited by LarThaL; 07-14-2012 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
I disagree. I work in Bellevue and saw 15 yesterday alone, and another 7 thus far today.
Well I live in the Portland area and I see an E9x about every other week. But then again, Portland really isn't a car culture type of place or a place where people feel the need to flaunt their wealth, so many even very wealthy people here drive very average cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
overdose
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

What day of the week did you visit San Francisco? They are pretty rare M-F as most people leave it in their garages so they can drive their beater cars or take public transportation to work. On the weekends though you can easily spot 3-5 of them in a day.

As for the rest of the Bay Area, I'd separate it into three other sections. Up north across the Golden Gate Bridge the M3 isn't as popular as the residents there are relatively "old" and are already settled in. You'll see more 3/5 series or SUV porsches.

Across the Bay Bridge (east) the standard of living is lower so although there are many people who may want the M3 it doesn't mean they can afford it. Also, crime rates are unfortunately a little higher so having a luxurious car might not be a good idea.

Down south is the famous Silicon Valley where you have a boat load of tech companies with a lot of bachelors who have plenty of disposable income...it only makes sense to have a nice car and drive up to San Francisco with a date.

Of course, this is my own personal experience and sweeping generalization so take it with a grain of salt.
      07-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
BTW, you made my homework easy; cause I want to take the same trip to Napa, and I wanted to figure out how long will it take and such.
In regards to M3s and north; certain areas you will find them, certain areas are rare. Just depends what's more feasible.
LOL... La Verne isn’t that far from me in Burbank. From my place, I took the 5 N. I was supposed to stay on the 5 and take it all the way up but I accidentally veered to the right and jumped on the 99 instead of staying left on the 5. Honestly, I'm happy it happened. The 5 is a long stretch of nothing to see. The 99 has a lot more places to stop. We stopped at Bravo Farms, I forgot where its off the 99, but it is a cool place. Then we took the 99 up and started heading west on other freeways to head into Napa. All and all, doing about 85 MPH +/-, no traffic, with a few stops, we got to Napa in about 5.5 hours, and only filled up once along the way.

We stayed in downtown Napa the first night. It was not what I thought it would be. We thought country side, wineries, etc. Downtown Napa is very city like and modern. Everything closes early though. We stayed at the Napa river inn, super nice, but again, for us, we wanted the country side. We canceled our second night and found a bed and breakfast on hwy 29 which was so much more fun... Wineries everywhere, easy drives or bicycle rides. We kind of just went with it with no plans and it was fun. There are over 450 wineries so we did not plan on seeing then all.

Start of the third day, we left Napa and started driving into San Fran. Drove across the GB bridge, and stayed at Le Meridian. That was an awesome hotel also. Left car in valet and walked and Cab'ed everywhere else. On the fifth day, we checked out and started driving around. We finally left SF around 5 pm, headed east taking the Bay bridge, to the 580 to the 5 S. Traffic was insane so we stopped in Dublin and hung out for a few hours. Finally jumped back on freeway around 830 pm. Pulled into front door in Burbank at 1220am. Be careful on the 5 S. south of Bakersfield. There is road construction that chops the 5 to one lane. Besides that, awesome trip!!!! We would do it again in a heart beat!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
What day of the week did you visit San Francisco? They are pretty rare M-F as most people leave it in their garages so they can drive their beater cars or take public transportation to work. On the weekends though you can easily spot 3-5 of them in a day.

As for the rest of the Bay Area, I'd separate it into three other sections. Up north across the Golden Gate Bridge the M3 isn't as popular as the residents there are relatively "old" and are already settled in. You'll see more 3/5 series or SUV porsches.

Across the Bay Bridge (east) the standard of living is lower so although there are many people who may want the M3 it doesn't mean they can afford it. Also, crime rates are unfortunately a little higher so having a luxurious car might not be a good idea.

Down south is the famous Silicon Valley where you have a boat load of tech companies with a lot of bachelors who have plenty of disposable income...it only makes sense to have a nice car and drive up to San Francisco with a date.

Of course, this is my own personal experience and sweeping generalization so take it with a grain of salt.
We were in SF from Tues-Thur of this week. Yeah, I didnt see one. Again, lots of 335's, and I even saw an all white Lambo Gallardo with Black rims parked across from Huntington Park in front of that church..... Saw one M3 in Napa, that was it...

Appreciate 0