BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #45
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

i think all iphone fanboys should get the incredible and use it for 3 months before they voice their opinion
      06-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #46
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
i think all iphone fanboys should get the incredible and use it for 3 months before they voice their opinion
I had an Android G1 and Nexus One (before any consumer for that matter). I doubt that the Sense UI magically makes the Android into a completely different device.

I also design software for a living. I think my opinion counts for something when it comes to these discussions.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #47
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
Actually it doesn't. The majority of users look for familiarity, easy to use especially when it comes to daily used devices like phones. That is iphone. Android is there, like windows, for the people who like to tinker, customize, and make their phones even more useless.
People just look at bullet points. The phone has a keyboard. It has a 10megapixel camera with flash. It has Adobe Flash, multitasking, etc. Android is the OS that gives people what they think they need. Why do you think when someone says Android is better than the iPhone OS, they name flash, multitasking, etc? People want choice and options even if they don't really need them. That's what I meant by it being a phone for the masses. People don't look for ease of use. If that was the case, Android devices wouldn't be selling as well as they are. People wouldn't be buying Windows-based computers. People buy what's cheapest and has the most bullet points for the money. That's the bottom line.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #48
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

I had swype over two years ago thru JB

The evo battery life is a POS

Apple attention to ui > *

oh yeah the new jesus phones drops tomm, goodbye
      06-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Saying Android is better than the iPhone OS, is like saying Windows is better than Mac OS to me. I have no doubt that Android will eventually own most of the market share, but not because it's better. It's more of a utilitarian OS. It fits the needs of more users, but doesn't provide a better experience. There are those that want lots of bullet points, and those that want a quality experience. You know, the "less is more" approach to design.

I feel that Android has more bullet points AND a higher quality experience. It works, it looks as nice as iphone OS to me, it's significantly faster and less restricted. It is unfair to compare market share ownership between the two - there are multiple Android phones on multiple networks.

P.S. I love mac OS, my unibody macbook pro is my only computer.
      06-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #50
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
I had swype over two years ago thru JB
swype for iphone?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #51
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
I feel that Android has more bullet points AND a higher quality experience. It works, it looks as nice as iphone OS to me, it's significantly faster and less restricted. It is unfair to compare market share ownership between the two - there are multiple Android phones on multiple networks.

P.S. I love mac OS, my unibody macbook pro is my only computer.
It's not faster. Hardware on the newer devices might be faster, but the actual OS performance is horrible. Even on the Nexus One, scrolling menus and text is not smooth at all. Visually, the Android OS looks pretty bad. The Sense UI is just lipstick on a pig. 99% of the apps on the android store look horrendous as well. Then there's the interaction design. It's not nearly as well done as the iPhone OS. I don't doubt it will get better over time, but Google is hardly a leader in user experience design. Their technology is always great, but at the same time, very clunky to use. That's what happens when your products are led by programmers.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #52
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's not faster. Hardware on the newer devices might be faster, but the actual OS performance is horrible. Even on the Nexus One, scrolling menus and text is not smooth at all. Visually, the Android OS looks pretty bad. The Sense UI is just lipstick on a pig. 99% of the apps on the android store look horrendous as well. Then there's the interaction design. It's not nearly as well done as the iPhone OS. I don't doubt it will get better over time, but Google is hardly a leader in user experience design. Their technology is always great, but at the same time, very clunky to use. That's what happens when your products are led by programmers.

Obviously anything pertaining to asthetics is subjective, I won't try to argue that. However I disagree that the Android OS performs horribly. I use an iPhone 3GS and a Droid daily, with the Droid being my business phone. The Droid is notably faster at changing apps, scrolling, loading pages etc...it feels snappier than my iphone. I'm not going to make claims outside of what I've personally experienced. I'm not sure how you can claim 99% of the Android Market's apps look horrible unless you've actually used every last one of them - in that case, I am impressed.
      06-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #53
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
People just look at bullet points. The phone has a keyboard. It has a 10megapixel camera with flash. It has Adobe Flash, multitasking, etc. Android is the OS that gives people what they think they need. Why do you think when someone says Android is better than the iPhone OS, they name flash, multitasking, etc? People want choice and options even if they don't really need them. That's what I meant by it being a phone for the masses. People don't look for ease of use. If that was the case, Android devices wouldn't be selling as well as they are. People wouldn't be buying Windows-based computers. People buy what's cheapest and has the most bullet points for the money. That's the bottom line.
Hard keyboards on phones are useless. Megapixels are not an indication of camera quality. Flash is pointless on phones. Multitasking will be available on both.

If it wasn't for the network limitation there would be no reason to need Android. People will spend more for familiarity, easy to use, good looking, with at least basic features. Android is for the geeks.
      06-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #54
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Obviously anything pertaining to asthetics is subjective, I won't try to argue that. However I disagree that the Android OS performs horribly. I use an iPhone 3GS and a Droid daily, with the Droid being my business phone. The Droid is notably faster at changing apps, scrolling, loading pages etc...it feels snappier than my iphone. I'm not going to make claims outside of what I've personally experienced. I'm not sure how you can claim 99% of the Android Market's apps look horrible unless you've actually used every last one of them - in that case, I am impressed.
I'd love to be proven wrong. Post some screens of android apps with interfaces that rival the best on the iPhone. I can only think of 1: http://apps.doubletwist.com/doubleTw...63843429577219

And that was designed by a someone who normally designs for the iPhone/Mac platform.

And I'm not speaking just aesthetics. UI design is more than how it looks. It's how it works.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #55
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Hard keyboards on phones are useless. Megapixels are not an indication of camera quality. Flash is pointless on phones. Multitasking will be available on both.

If it wasn't for the network limitation there would be no reason to need Android. People will spend more for familiarity, easy to use, good looking, with at least basic features. Android is for the geeks.
I agree on all points. I was mentioning 99% of iPhone complaints. I agree that the network is the biggest issue. And correction: Android is for the geeks who like to break stuff and tinker. There are plenty of geeks who love the iPhone for what it is even before 3rd party apps were introduced. Some of us like stuff that just works really well. I'm a geek that likes to use products rather than configure/micro-manage them. How multitasking works on iPhone OS 4 compared to Android is a prime example, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #56
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

You are all geeks.

If it aint broke then don't fix it...

My cell.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #57
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
You are all geeks.

If it aint broke then don't fix it...

My cell.
LOL. Nice

Quote:
I agree on all points. I was mentioning 99% of iPhone complaints. I agree that the network is the biggest issue. And correction: Android is for the geeks who like to break stuff and tinker. There are plenty of geeks who love the iPhone for what it is even before 3rd party apps were introduced. Some of us like stuff that just works really well. I'm a geek that likes to use products rather than configure/micro-manage them. How multitasking works on iPhone OS 4 compared to Android is a prime example, IMO.
      06-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #58
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
swype for iphone?
Yup, it wasn't call that before tho, this was almost two summers ago, the guy who made swype is the same guy who made t9, it was called shapewriter before i think

Quote:
Android multitasking = battery drainer
Iphone multitasking while limited provides most functionality and won't murder the battery
      06-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #59
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that hard keyboards are useless. I'll have to stop constantly using mine. Obviously megapixels aren't an indication of quality - hence my D3 with only 12.1 MP (inb4 new can of worms). Flash isn't pointless on phones, just on your phone.

Quote:
I'd love to be proven wrong. Post some screens of android apps with interfaces that rival the best on the iPhone. I can only think of 1: http://apps.doubletwist.com/doubleTw...63843429577219

I'll work on those screenshots if you work on proving that iPhone OS runs faster and smoother than Android on my Droid.

And that was designed by a someone who normally designs for the iPhone/Mac platform.

And I'm not speaking just aesthetics. UI design is more than how it looks. It's how it works.

I'll work on those screenshots if you work on proving that iPhone OS runs faster and smoother than Android on my Droid.

Yes, the iPhone is the phone for the masses, the phone for those who don't like to tinker. The Corolla is the car for the masses, for those who don't like to tinker. What's the point of owning and modding a sports car if you're going to try to put down those who enjoy tinkering with their electronics?
      06-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #60
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
Android multitasking = battery drainer
Iphone multitasking while limited provides most functionality and won't murder the battery

I charge both my phones nightly...they're both usually at about 30% when I get home.
      06-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #61
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Dan has two phones. He is therefore balling.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #62
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Dan has two phones. He is therefore balling.

Phones attract the lady folk
      06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #63
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Phones attract the lady folk
I need some lady folk

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #64
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
I need some lady folk
me too, im mad as fuck because my dad forgot to tell me his assistants daughter who is a year older than me had her wedding today and appearently there was a lot of smoking chicks there, FML
      06-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #65
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I need some lady folk

Buy some phones
      06-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #66
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
me too, im mad as fuck because my dad forgot to tell me his assistants daughter who is a year older than me had her wedding today and appearently there was a lot of smoking chicks there, FML

[This thread is now officially off topic]