BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

08-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Has anybody used this magnetic plug?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magne...Q5fAccessories

First I see specifically made to match the M plug, and not dangerously stick down from the metal protective shield. The only reason I want the experts' approval is to make sure the thread's diameter is correct, and not too loose, which could lead to stripped threads. I also noticed it's a lot longer than stock, but that shouldn't be an issue IMO. It's time for another oil change due to time, so found this just in time . Thanks gang.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

....Power Slut Racing?

But it sounds interesting, if it works I'd buy one....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
....Power Slut Racing? But it sounds interesting, if it works I'd buy one....
Name doesn't inspire much confidence, huh? The thing I didn't like is it's not a hex head, like stock. And I have my doubts about clearance, since we have to add the socket's thickness. I'm not going to be the guinea pig this time .
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Name doesn't inspire much confidence, huh? The thing I didn't like is it's not a hex head, like stock. And I have my doubts about clearance, since we have to add the socket's thickness. I'm not going to be the guinea pig this time .
Name really doesn't inspire confidence, and I can't blame you for not being the guinea pig on this one. I'm not going for it either, but if there's someone else....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Bavarian sells one which I'm considering getting. My question is- with so much of this engine made of aluminum, how much good will a magnetic plug do?
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
My question is- with so much of this engine made of aluminum, how much good will a magnetic plug do?
That's just head and block. But most moving parts are made of ferrous metals. The better question would be: Is there anything a magnetic plug catches that the oil filter doesn't? My guess is probably not.
However, I was surprised not to see a magnetic plug on either the tranny or differential. The tranny has a strainer filter, but not nearly fine enough to stop metal particles. I'd be more inclined to put one there.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

A buddy of mine bought this and never installed it because he said the thing is really sketchy as the magnet isn't attached to the screw very securely and could potentially break off. You don't want that in your oil pan.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
A buddy of mine bought this and never installed it because he said the thing is really sketchy as the magnet isn't attached to the screw very securely and could potentially break off. You don't want that in your oil pan.
Thanks! Good to know, stay away! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That's just head and block. But most moving parts are made of ferrous metals. The better question would be: Is there anything a magnetic plug catches that the oil filter doesn't? My guess is probably not.
However, I was surprised not to see a magnetic plug on either the tranny or differential. The tranny has a strainer filter, but not nearly fine enough to stop metal particles. I'd be more inclined to put one there.
I put an ECS Tuning magnetic drain plug in my 2001 Golf 1.8T at about 100,000KM (60,000Miles) and the first oil-change after installing the plug I thought the engine was going because there was so much metal on it. The next oil change it had less metal on it and the third one after installing it there was hardly any metal on it.

I think that a Magnetic plug is a great thing, and obviously based on what I wrote above they do pick up metal that the filter don't catch
      08-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I'm all for magnetic plugs, as long as they fit like stock and don't screw up threats of course. Magnetic plugs are used on each scavange line for each bearing on Jet engines. Some engines such as T700-701C on Black Hawks have "fuzz burn" which is an electrical current running through it to burn off any light fuzz from bearings. If it doesn't burn it off, it'll set off a caution light which alerts us of a larger problem (possible bearing failure). Wouldn't that be a cool thing to have in our M3's.

Anyway, filters should catch all that material but filters are designed to filter oil/fuel before it goes to the bearing/fuel nozzles. So fluid returning is where a magnetic plug would catch it. Of course in our engines, it's a different design but a magnetic plug in the oil pan/diff. I think would work well. Just me 2Ct's.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So we're all agreed: We need someone to make a magnetic drain plug that works like stock but won't fall apart and we'll all run out and get one....

Is there any vendor listening right now? Macht Schnell perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
So we're all agreed: We need someone to make a magnetic drain plug that works like stock but won't fall apart and we'll all run out and get one....
Indeed. By the way, finally received a reply from the vendor I initially linked about that same thin plug being made with an allen head, and he said NO, and that the linked plug is not made anymore; it was replaced with one with the head 3 times as thick . That's probably the one I saw somewhere here, which dangerously sticks down from the thick metal shield, being exposed to any debris on the road. Better not to have anything than that. Oh well. Maybe for next year's oil change .
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Well fella's, my experiance is that gear boxes, either jet engine accessory gear boxes or a car's diff/tranny make most use of magnetic plugs. Because there are obviously bearings and gears messhing together and alot of moving parts. It would benefit engines's too but mainly I have allways seen these type of plugs on gear boxes. I owned a Nissan XE 4x4 and it's axle diff's had magnetic plugs and so did the transmission. But not the enigne. Not sure why, but engineer decided on that.

Hopefully someone will come out with an exact fitting plug.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 DCT E92 M3

Gentlemen, I'll be the guinea pig on this one.. I purchased the magnetic engine drain plug as well as the magnetic rear diff drain plug from Bavarian Auto.

I know this is off topic, but i swapped my fluids to royal purple (diff and engine) and will be changing my engine oil in approximately 500 miles. I still have an extra engine oil drain plug because i bought 2 thinking that they would fit in the forward and aft drain plugs. Let me say that they do NOT. The forward most drain plug port does not have enough clearance around the outside to secure the drain plug. It has a hex head and the drain plug does not. I just changed the aft most drain plug and hopefully it will pick up some particulates. I guess we will see. Oh, the crush washer that comes with the drain plug does not seat perfectly, so do not torque down the drain plug with too much force... No leaks so far.

The rear diff fits perfectly and the magnet is strong as shit so im sure that it will pick up particulates after time. I have a little over 50k miles on my M so i thought it would be a good time to change the rear diff.. The fluid that came out was still fairly clean, so i probably could have waited a few thousand more miles. I guess its better earlier than too late..

Hope this helps..
      10-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

bumping this thread-any more experience with the bav auto magnetic oil drain plug,or any others?

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
it's made by dimple.they have a video showing their plug holding up 7 lb. of metal tools.

Last edited by bimdo; 10-20-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0