E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > XM MyFi

09-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
mreloc
Private
Rep
Drives: E93, past: E90, E46, E36, E30

XM MyFi

One of the things I will miss in my Hounda is the XM. I have a portable MyFi receiver however, so I plan on hooking it up to the aux input jack in the E90. My challenge is to get the antenna routed to the MyFi and out somewhere where it can receive. Ideally it would be on the rear near the trunklid, but I think it would work on the rear parcel shelf.

Anyone route their satellite radio antenna wire that can recommend the least unsightly solution? I need the hookup to come from inside the armrest then run in the back somehow and up and out. I bought the cold weather package to help with folding rear seats. I figure that having purchased the satellite pre wire won't help here.

If it becomes too much of a hassle I'll go ahead and get the sirius receiver sometime down the road. Just don't want to quit XM unless I have to..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Welcome!
Why didn't you get Sirius? If you do have the Satellite pre-wiring, shell out the $500 bucks and get the Sirius radio installed. XM has crap programming anyway compared to Sirius (IMHO).

Where 'bouts in the mitten are you?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreloc
One of the things I will miss in my Hounda is the XM. I have a portable MyFi receiver however, so I plan on hooking it up to the aux input jack in the E90. My challenge is to get the antenna routed to the MyFi and out somewhere where it can receive. Ideally it would be on the rear near the trunklid, but I think it would work on the rear parcel shelf.

Anyone route their satellite radio antenna wire that can recommend the least unsightly solution? I need the hookup to come from inside the armrest then run in the back somehow and up and out. I bought the cold weather package to help with folding rear seats. I figure that having purchased the satellite pre wire won't help here.

If it becomes too much of a hassle I'll go ahead and get the sirius receiver sometime down the road. Just don't want to quit XM unless I have to..
Most people get Sirius due to the integration. Programming is pretty good on both services so don´t worry.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I guess if you like baseball (boooooring) XM is okay. Otherwise Sirius offers a lot more. Two words: Howard Stern. 'nuff said.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
mreloc
Private
Rep
Drives: E93, past: E90, E46, E36, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Yeah, I guess if you like baseball (boooooring) XM is okay. Otherwise Sirius offers a lot more. Two words: Howard Stern. 'nuff said.
Haha you're right... love Howard. Will miss him after he leaves the air at the end of the year and may get Sirius just to hear him. Not a big sports listener- mostly into music and XM has been good to me so far in that regard. Haven't previewed Sirius programming yet. If I do get it, want to install diy so I'm waiting a bit for "real world" experiences on this. Wonder what the dealer will nick me for programming

Live just outside of Ann Arbor, by the way, in Saline.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Any good stereo shop will be able to route the wire to the rear shelf. Personally, I despise taking apart the interiors of any car because it's just a massive rats nest of wiring and interior trim fastiners are single use devices.

The typical interior trim routing is to go from wherever you want the head unit installed, down to the driver or passenger kick pannel, then undo the carpet from the door's edge and stuff the wire in there. Run it down the length of the car, bring the wire up under the rear seats, under the side trim in the rear and up to the shelf. It is a real PITA...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I do get it, want to install diy so I'm waiting a bit for "real world" experiences on this. Wonder what the dealer will nick me for programming

Live just outside of Ann Arbor, by the way, in Saline.
I had the install included in my purchase price, so they were pretty kind with it.

I was born in Ypsi, and still have family there. Religiously come to MI every summer for a week.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
My challenge is to get the antenna routed to the MyFi and out somewhere where it can receive. Ideally it would be on the rear near the trunklid, but I think it would work on the rear parcel shelf. ..
Having now had XM in 4 separate BMWs, including my current e46, I can guarantee you that an installation of the antenna on the rear parcel shelf will be just fine -- no need to mount outside the car. Push the antenna as far back on the shelf (in the center) as you can (so it's almost touching the glass) and then use a coathanger (bend the end ito a small loop so it doesn't puncture anything) to run the cable straigt across and then down the fold where the leather meets the plastic trim on the rear seats, and then under the floor trim up to the front. Do not crimp or damage the antenna wire, as it will riun the antenna's reception -- guaranteed.
Also, now that I've had a chance to listen to my wife's Sirius in her e90, I'm impressed and would just go with Sirius if I were you -- especially now that it appears they are putting in a new "Coffee House" station that will be like XM's "Loft".
Mike
      09-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
2 Better words for XM

OPIE & ANTHONY

I invented Satellite radio ho ho ho, tell em FRED!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
timoth31
Back in CIVLANT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Eclectic Red ZSP ZPP

I got the sat prep, but skipped the Sirius and am holding out for XM (even though it might be quite a wait). Two words: Jonathan Schwartz. If Sirius finds a way to bring WBGO in Newark online I will reconsider.

With either programming choice, I don't have to listen to some dolt dwell at length (or lack thereof) on the size of his private anatomy. Some of us have good taste in entertainment as well as cars!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
saalim
Non Resident
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timoth31
I got the sat prep, but skipped the Sirius and am holding out for XM (even though it might be quite a wait). Two words: Jonathan Schwartz. If Sirius finds a way to bring WBGO in Newark online I will reconsider.

With either programming choice, I don't have to listen to some dolt dwell at length (or lack thereof) on the size of his private anatomy. Some of us have good taste in entertainment as well as cars!
Who the hell is Jonathan Schwartz!!???

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
Cory1000
God
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:

I installed the Road Ready XM kit, I ran the antenna up into the shark fin and it works fine.. I took pics of every step but didnt have time to put the DIY together yet...never loose signal
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #13
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Who the hell is Jonathan Schwartz!!???
He is a Sinatra expert and does a fantastic show out of NY. He was one of the main reasons I chose XM. I have no problem with Stern, but I stopped listening to him because his whining got to be more than I could stand. To each his own.

I do not listen to baseball or football on the radio. Given the choice, I definitely prefer watching football!

I have a Myfi and just ran the wire through the child restraint tether strap in the back window to hold it in place. The signal is very strong, so I have no need to put it on the outside of the car. I have tried putting the antenna in the trunk (through the fold down seats), but no luck with that one.

BTW How do you plan on mounting it (or do you)? I just keep mine in the center console when I am driving, but I may mount it on a kuda attachment for the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Roady2 Installation

I am waiting for my 2006 325xi which is due in the week of Nov 14th. I plan on installation a Delphi Roady2 and am interested in the routing details for the antenns.

What is the shark fin? Can you post the pictures to help me perform my rouiting?

Thanks
WallyF
Appreciate 0