BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

06-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

How to keep tools from rusting

I dont turn wrenches anymore so my tools and box are in the garage and ive noticed some surface rust on some of them. I have thousands of dollars in tools and hate to see them get rusty. Does anyone know of any tricks to keep rust from forming. I know people say just use them or WD 40 but i dont want my tools being greasy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Rust-Eze bumper ointment should do the trick!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

keep a bag of desiccant in the drawers.
      06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

keep them submerged in you favorite cooking oil

I prefer Canola oil.
      06-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
you can use lemon juice to remove most rust
I did that on the tool set in my E30, they look brand new
I soak them for 1-2 hours, depending on how rusty they are
and before I take them out I heat up the toaster
I take them out, wash them with soap and water
then put them in the pre-heated toaster
that way any remaining moisture evaporates.
      06-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

All I can say is cheap tools,

My tools are over 20 yrs older they been in my garage the entire time and non of them have rust on them, but all my tools are either Craftsman or Snap-on. My garage is not climate controlled either so it open to the all the weather changes and I live in a humid area as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I wouldn't exactly say cheap tools, as much as normal tear-and-wear and the layer of paint, plastic (or whatever depending on your tool) that is used to prevent rusting has worn out due to prolonged usage.

Example, my jack stands. They are subject to friction from the car and the concrete (since I just leave them on the ground and they sometimes get dragged around), removing the paint on them. Add in water, and they will rust.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Buy a dehumidifier. It is what people use to store firearms in safes and such for prolonged periods of time. Pretty much anything that soaks up moisture should work.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

might be far off, but what about trying those silica gel packets you get in clothing pockets or shoes?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post

My tools are over 20 yrs older they been in my garage the entire time and non of them have rust on them, but all my tools are either Craftsman or Snap-on. My garage is not climate controlled either so it open to the all the weather changes and I live in a humid area as well.
I've got plenty of rusty craftsman tools.....
      06-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I've got plenty of rusty craftsman tools.....
As do I, much of it has to do with the amount of use as well as how they were used.

I actually have used plastidip for what it was originally intended for and dipped most of the socket wrenches and other things like that to help, but there is surface rust on a lot of my more commonly used sockets.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

All tools are Snap-on, Matco, and a few craftsman all wrapped in a snap-on box so not cheap. Its all surface rust. I was told to put chalk in the drawers so im trying that for right now
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Where exactly is the rust? On the heads of the tools?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here are a couple examples

And the 2 tools i feel everyone should have
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Wow, those are getting bad. I honestly don't know what you could do about that. Good luck though!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Maestro
Major
Rep

Do you clean your tools with any solvents, that is my other guess, again i use mine lots over the 20 yrs and do not have what you are showing. however, I do not clean my tools with solvents, I just wipe them with a rag. Old time mechanic told me once never clean tools with solvents, the oil you get on them from working on cars protects them, solvents removed all the oils from the steel which allows it to rust.

The same is true for good Knives and Fry Pan, never clean them with soap and water, Wiping them with hot water and scrubby and towel them off is the best you can do so the oils stay in the metal. I know it drives my wife nuts when I refuse to clean my knives and pans in dishwasher or soapy water.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-11-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I have 99% MAC tools. I've beat the heck out of some of my wrenches and ratchets trying to break stubborn hardware loose ruining the finish of the tools in the process.. Anyway I've had these tools for about 7yrs and and have gone months without cleaning them etc and none of them show rust.
On the other hand I have a "metrinch" tool set I've had since I was in high school that is pretty rusty; they still work well they are just ugly.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

oil is your friend. you can't have the cake and eat it too, the oil will protect your tools from oxidizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
I dont turn wrenches anymore so my tools and box are in the garage and ive noticed some surface rust on some of them. I have thousands of dollars in tools and hate to see them get rusty. Does anyone know of any tricks to keep rust from forming. I know people say just use them or WD 40 but i dont want my tools being greasy.
      06-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
keep a bag of desiccant in the drawers.
Desiccant comes in different size bags. It's reusable by setting it in the oven to dry it out again. The different size bags are good for different size spaces.

Get a small bag for each drawer, recharge every 2 to 3 months. Remove the rust first and this should keep the moisture causing rust out of the box.

The other method requiring less effort is to give your tools a light spray of WD40 before putting them away. "Water Displacement 40th formula". No water, no rust.
      06-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you clean your tools with any solvents, that is my other guess, again i use mine lots over the 20 yrs and do not have what you are showing. however, I do not clean my tools with solvents, I just wipe them with a rag. Old time mechanic told me once never clean tools with solvents, the oil you get on them from working on cars protects them, solvents removed all the oils from the steel which allows it to rust.

The same is true for good Knives and Fry Pan, never clean them with soap and water, Wiping them with hot water and scrubby and towel them off is the best you can do so the oils stay in the metal. I know it drives my wife nuts when I refuse to clean my knives and pans in dishwasher or soapy water.
Ive always just wiped them down with a rag. i also find it very weird. You would think $60 needle nose pliers wouldnt get rust like that. It is very humid here in NC so maybe thats why
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Desiccant comes in different size bags. It's reusable by setting it in the oven to dry it out again. The different size bags are good for different size spaces.

Get a small bag for each drawer, recharge every 2 to 3 months. Remove the rust first and this should keep the moisture causing rust out of the box.

The other method requiring less effort is to give your tools a light spray of WD40 before putting them away. "Water Displacement 40th formula". No water, no rust.
I have heard this as well and im gonna try this too. Ill just go out and try all of these methods.

Thanks for all of the input guys
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
Ive always just wiped them down with a rag. i also find it very weird. You would think $60 needle nose pliers wouldnt get rust like that. It is very humid here in NC so maybe thats why
Are you near the ocean, it could be the salt air, when I lived in CA I had friend near the ocean and he was mechanic it was next to impossible to keep tools from rusting, like like yours looks, they had this brownish white sheen over them.
Appreciate 0