BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #45
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
DAMN did you just compare a BMW to an Altima?

1. Exclusivity
2. Some people don't WANT all those options on the car. These are still performance oriented cars, the less weight for some, the better.
3. Don't compare a German car to a Japanese car. Costs are different.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #46
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

Altima

I know it's not the coupe, etc, but I just had an '06 Altima rental for the 5 days my car was in the shop getting repaired; Wow, what a piece of junk.
I'm not a BMW guy to the point that I don't like other cars and I don't play the "well it sucks because it's not a BMW" game- but this thing was just terrible in every way; braking, interior, materials, feedback, etc.
I know it's not designed to provide "feedback" to the driver, and it was the base model (2.5s), and it was a rental, but what an incredibly unenjoyable experience- got me back and forth for a few days and ultimately, that all that matters, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #47
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Also a classic:
and more classic:
Attached Images

07-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #48
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post

4DR hakosuka!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #49
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32 View Post
4DR hakosuka!
How many BMWs can claimed "Historical Vehicle" status......

07-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #50
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
HOT!

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #51
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

this seems to be a pointless thread. Everyone has something they personally like.

I love BMWs. I couldn't afford one now, so i settled for an Acura TSX for now. I love the car, and its showed me that there is other cars out there besides BMW. However, I still like BMW more. I dont really know why, i just do.

I also like Hugo boss suits. I know its a waste of money, even when i go to Saks outlets and get them for like 400-500 bucks. But i still like them, and feel like "the man" when im in them.

-mike
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #52
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

ps. altima coupe looks like a scion.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #53
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
ps. altima coupe looks like a scion.
that's totally a compliment........
      07-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #54
Sam Da Man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SPACE GRAY '07 328i Coupe

BMW

Bmw is all about the Drive and performance, Not features. If they wanted to they wouldnt even put a radio inside.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 01:22 AM   #55
Ironduck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
this seems to be a pointless thread. Everyone has something they personally like.

I love BMWs. I couldn't afford one now, so i settled for an Acura TSX for now. I love the car, and its showed me that there is other cars out there besides BMW. However, I still like BMW more. I dont really know why, i just do.

I also like Hugo boss suits. I know its a waste of money, even when i go to Saks outlets and get them for like 400-500 bucks. But i still like them, and feel like "the man" when im in them.

-mike

You take away all the gadgets in the Nissan and you end up with a $20K Nissan..........If you take way all the gadgets in the BMW, you still end up with a BMW....................There are better/cheaper/more reliable alternatives to Porsches/Mercedes/BMW etc..., but people still buy them..............It is something called "Status"..................You sleep and feel better knowing you have a BMW in the garage rather than a Honda, Nissan, Acura, Infinity, and even Lexus..................
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 01:34 AM   #56
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedkid View Post
That roundel isn't gonna start losing its value just b/c there are some serious competition now. In fact, the competition will only force BMW to offer better cars, and as long as their cars are "better" that premiun isn't going anywhere.
Of course the competition will force BMW to keep getting better, which is a good thing. But, BMW won't be able to keep jacking up the price every time they make an improvement. We're already starting to see BMW offer better value. Didn't the moonroof used to be an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedkid View Post
Especially when people who already think it's overpriced still buy it anyways. (btw, if you REALLY thought it was overpriced, you wouldn't buy it. the fact that you bought it says that whatever amount you paid for, you think it's worth the car or whatever else pleasure/experience you get out of it. if you think it's not worth 50k and yet still paid 50k for it... well i rest my case. )
People buy things they feel are overpriced all the time. Ever bought a bottled water at movie theater or in a stadium? It's like twice as much as you'd pay at the supermarket, but if you're thirsty, you're going to buy it anyway. Well, I was thirsty for a 3 Series, so I bought one. But I know BMW could have sold it for less and still made money off it. As the competition continues to zero-in the BMW formula, that's exactly what's going to happen.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #57
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironduck View Post
It is something called "Status"
There are a lot of people here who would disagree with you. I don't give a #$#@@!# about the status. I like how the car drives. The only person I'm trying to impress is myself.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #58
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

Quote:
You take away all the gadgets in the Nissan and you end up with a $20K Nissan..........If you take way all the gadgets in the BMW, you still end up with a BMW....................There are better/cheaper/more reliable alternatives to Porsches/Mercedes/BMW etc..., but people still buy them..............It is something called "Status"..................You sleep and feel better knowing you have a BMW in the garage rather than a Honda, Nissan, Acura, Infinity, and even Lexus..................
I personally dont care about "status". But nowdays, it seems that Lexus has more status than BMW, at least here in the bay for the average person. Mercedez (with an exception of the C) i would say has the most "status".
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #59
phazedkid
e92
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
There are a lot of people here who would disagree with you. I don't give a #$#@@!# about the status. I like how the car drives. The only person I'm trying to impress is myself.

-Dan
+1 on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
People buy things they feel are overpriced all the time. Ever bought a bottled water at movie theater or in a stadium? It's like twice as much as you'd pay at the supermarket, but if you're thirsty, you're going to buy it anyway. Well, I was thirsty for a 3 Series, so I bought one. But I know BMW could have sold it for less and still made money off it. As the competition continues to zero-in the BMW formula, that's exactly what's going to happen.
Im SURE bmw could be selling 3 series at lower prices and still make profit. but IMO over-price or under-price is very subjective. using your example, if i'm DYING of thirst, 5 bucks for a bottle of water is 5 bucks very well spent. i'd much rather spend 5 bucks on a bottle of water than scream "RIP-OFF!!" and continue on with parched throat. in this case, i got my money's worth and don't regret spending 5 bucks. you see the point, right?

im sure there's also a technical definition or more objective view of "overpriced" based on cost and how much profit a company is making and all that but IMO that matters little. looking at it that way, sure 335i can be "overpriced" but i think the ultimate judge is the market and seeing how BMW is doing pretty darn well, i'd say most people think they are getting their money's worth and therefore can justify paying whatever for their bmw.

btw +1 on the competiton coming very close and that might possibly force BMW to sell for less.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 03:35 AM   #60
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I think why BMW is expansive compared to other luxury cars, LEXUS, Infiniti, is because of the handling. You got to pay for someone to design one hell of a car that will be able to have the same handling in 10 years. I drove a 20 year old porsche 911 and 7 year old SC300 and the porsche handles like a new car. So we are paying for the engineering of our cars. NOT the gizmos like power seats or heated seats. We are paying for long term performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #61
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Go look at Porsche. The higher the grade of car manufacturer you go, the worse they are about making features standard. I mean, for christ sake, Porsche charges $200 to make the Porsche logo on the wheels in color instead of black and white (which comes standard).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #62
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Quote:

-Dan

+1000 Count me in as one of those who disagrees, I hate that "Status/Prestige" nonsense.

We are choosing the new M3 not by the blue and white roundel but solely by its subtle looks (moreso when I debadge it) and by friends who had previous bmw's and M3's who let us drive it and fell in love with the handling and comfort etc.. great driving cars no doubt, hope this new one is even better ..and lastly at a price thats still within reason.

If one is strictly judging cars by price. Compared to MB and Porsche bmw's are relatively cheap. We looked at the lexus sc430, nice car but handled funny and at 70k+ forget it.

If you want a fantastic driving car get a bmw. You want status get a Rolls Royce Phantom.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 05:37 AM   #63
elucas730
I'm just here for the turbo
Rep
Drives: 2004 STi, 2007 335i

Quote:
You sleep and feel better knowing you have a BMW in the garage rather than a Honda, Nissan, Acura, Infinity, and even Lexus..................
You are a sad and pitiful little man if that is the case for you.
      07-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #64
XxItzkenExX
Rep
Drives: 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Of course the competition will force BMW to keep getting better, which is a good thing. But, BMW won't be able to keep jacking up the price every time they make an improvement. We're already starting to see BMW offer better value. Didn't the moonroof used to be an option?

-Dan

That's exactly why BMW is a Maketing Genius.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #65
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJAX View Post
A la carte ordering has it's advantages too. You don't have to buy options you don't want.
BMW has the luxury of having extremely high demand and brand loyalty. Think about it, they build vehicles such as the new X5 and X3 which get negative reviews relative to their segment, and people still buy them. Let's be honest, I'm willing to bet many X5 and X3 owners or lessees don't care about how they stack up against other SUV oh excuse me, SAVs, the roundel on the vehicle is all it takes to make that sale.

All kidding aside, a la carte ordering and synthetic motor oil are two things Japanese car makers will never offer, barring a paradigm shift. They both cut into the bottom-line. Japanese carmakers still do the want xenons? Buy the $3k premium package to get it. Oh, but you can't get premium without moonroof and touch-button bun warmers and also hopping on one foot while reciting the preamble in Latin.

Japanese cars are great, don't get me wrong. But we have to stop this "how come blah blah blah is standard on my Yaris while I had to pay extra on my C63 AMG." Apples and oranges....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #66
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
I personally dont care about "status". But nowdays, it seems that Lexus has more status than BMW, at least here in the bay for the average person. Mercedez (with an exception of the C) i would say has the most "status".
I'm with you. There are many of us who came from Japanese cars, still have those cars in our garage, and now use those reliable, fully-depreciated, low cost-per-mile Japanese cars as beaters, daily drivers, pet carriers, etc. If we cared about status we'd drive the BMW solely and get rid of our 10 y.o. Japanese daily drivers.

One of the beautiful things about a Japanese cars is that they offer such great value one can easily pay cash for them without losing sleep, or take a 2-3 year loan, and 7-10 years after having paid for the vehicle, have them still running like a top with no end in sight to their useful lives.
Appreciate 0