BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

there should be a law to make the dealer provide a proof of service? why is it built on honesty and trust when we all know that both values are very rare or almost impossible to find at a car dealer!!
just a thought

Last edited by sameh; 11-26-2010 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: spell
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

For a company on the whole who touts "Free maintenance" on their cars for 4 years/50k they are expecting that their used cars have a much better reliability than those brands who do not offer such service.

Its possible that the individual dealerships can undermine the whole 'feature' or whatever you want to call what BMW is trying to accomplish by not providing the correct maintenance on the vehicles. There will always be a few bad apples but on the most part, why would a dealership not do the work when they are getting reimbursed from BMW? To save a few bucks on each oil change? Sounds silly.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

I guess it all comes down to BMW. Why remove such a useful technology that has been helping mechanics, racing teams, and vehicle owners for as long as I can remember. Way to go BMW! As far as I am concerned, the dipstick did not bother performance at all. Then why remove it? When BMW removed the dipstick, it created speculations and doubts (like this thread) on how to check the oil level and it's cleanliness. To make matters worse, a lot of BMW owners are losing trust on their dealerships because of this dipstick issue.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but high performance cars such as Porsche and Lotus still use the dipstick to this very day! I just don't get the point on why BMW decided one day to take the dipstick out of the engine...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Heres how i look at those of you who say things aren't replaced or done when your vehicles are brought into the shop for service-i have never, and will never "fudge" or "fake" a repair to a vehicle. ever. Im probably more anal with repairs on a customers car than i would be on my own vehicles and thats saying something. That also being said-i HATE when customers come and watch me while i work on their car. I just hate having someone look over my shoulder and scrutinize my work-i do what i do because im good at it? I look at it as if you really need to come and watch me work on your car-we must have done something wrong in the past-which to me says why are you bringing your car back to me if you don't trust the work being performed?

That being said-id prefer BMW came back with the dipsticks on all their cars...its just so much easier...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Btw, lemme add that the following high performance cars STILL have a dipstick in them:
--> ZR1
--> Z06
--> GTR
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #28
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

it runs good. i can usually feel the difference..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #29
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I just found out this week that the dealer DID NOT change my oil when I brought the car for an oil change last December (anniversary) They did it in March when I brought the car in for something else. On that day and before leaving the dealer's parking lot I checked the level and it was TOO LOW!!!!...I brought it in right away and they did put a quart. I wish I can take the car somewhere else than the dealer ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
other than trusting them or being there watching?

Any way to check this?

This engine doesn't have a dipstick to see the colour of the oil immediately afte the change....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
I wish I can take the car somewhere else than the dealer ....
How about your garage ? I'm doing my own oil changes, even though I have to pay for the oil and filter. If you're not so inclined, I'd keep doing it at a dealership, but check that the cap was put 'right' before you leave, and DO NOT allow them to drive your car outside the dealer's lot. By 'right' I mean remove cap, coat the gasket with oil (like a regular oil filter), and put it back on. The cap is a POS, and if not done that way, gasket will bunch up and make a royal mess out of your engine compartment and garage floor. Oh, and also feel all around the oil filter cap, and try to unscrew it by hand to make sure it was installed correctly (with new gaskets), and tightened properly. And finally, you can always watch the guy doing it outside the service bay . Good day.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #31
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

As mentioned before, why would a dealer risk so much for just an oil change?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #32
kingfish01
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

How complicated is this? You find out the same way your proctologist does: with your finger.
Warm the car up, shut off, remove the oil cap and carefully, hot oi remember, wipe a sample out on your finger. If its new, it'll be clear and golden. If never changed, it'll be close to black or pitch black.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #33
kingfish01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
I guess it all comes down to BMW. Why remove such a useful technology that has been helping mechanics, racing teams, and vehicle owners for as long as I can remember. Way to go BMW! As far as I am concerned, the dipstick did not bother performance at all. Then why remove it? When BMW removed the dipstick, it created speculations and doubts (like this thread) on how to check the oil level and it's cleanliness. To make matters worse, a lot of BMW owners are losing trust on their dealerships because of this dipstick issue.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but high performance cars such as Porsche and Lotus still use the dipstick to this very day! I just don't get the point on why BMW decided one day to take the dipstick out of the engine...

Because, believe it or not, not everyone is as mechanically inclined as you. I personally know a guy who checked his girlfriends oil, while car was running, and read it as too high. Later, her engine burned out from lack of oil. This digital dipstick is easy for ANYONE to read. Whats so hard about waiting 5 min for the car to warm up and then read the oil?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
As mentioned before, why would a dealer risk so much for just an oil change?
Perhaps its more a case of not purposely skipping the oil change but maybe the particular 'tech' forgot or overlooked it etc
      01-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #35
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Mark your filter with a sharpie. If they don't change the filter, they don't change the oil.
good idea.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #36
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Just put a piece of tape over the drain bolt, if it's torn, there you go.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #37
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish01 View Post
How complicated is this? You find out the same way your proctologist does: with your finger.
Warm the car up, shut off, remove the oil cap and carefully, hot oi remember, wipe a sample out on your finger. If its new, it'll be clear and golden. If never changed, it'll be close to black or pitch black.
After about 500 miles that "new" oil will look just like oil that's been in there for 5 or 6 thousand miles. This would be a good check to do at the dealership though, assuming you still distrust them enough to feel the need to check.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #38
kingfish01
Rep

No, it wont. If you've got black oil 500 miles after an oil change then you are running on the old filter. In my experience, it gets "black" after about 4-6 k miles. This goes especially true if the car is relatively new and the oil changes done in a timely manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
After about 500 miles that "new" oil will look just like oil that's been in there for 5 or 6 thousand miles. This would be a good check to do at the dealership though, assuming you still distrust them enough to feel the need to check.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #39
kingfish01
Rep

And if what you say is true, it'll be even easier to tell. It would be absolutely black the day after an alleged oil change which is surely improper.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #40
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
No, it wont. If you've got black oil 500 miles after an oil change then you are running on the old filter. In my experience, it gets "black" after about 4-6 k miles. This goes especially true if the car is relatively new and the oil changes done in a timely manner.
That's what I said.

Quote:
And if what you say is true, it'll be even easier to tell. It would be absolutely black the day after an alleged oil change which is surely improper.
I said this too. If you check at the dealership then yes, it's a good test. As we've both said color, after a few thousand miles, if even that far, isn't a good measure of anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #41
kingfish01
Rep

Quote:
That's what I said.

I said this too. If you check at the dealership then yes, it's a good test. As we've both said color, after a few thousand miles, if even that far, isn't a good measure of anything.

You say a lot.
Appreciate 0