BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Options.....

I have come to realize lately that a skimpy, on options, E92 M3 may be the way that I am gonna lean. Two big ones come to mind that I have decided that I dont need nor really want.

1. Navigation-I hope I can get an M3 without Nav. I read an article recently that talked about Nav systems and resale value. Basically the article said that factory Nav systems go out of date in only a few years. And, made the obvious note that most of us dont need one. They instead praised portable systems that can be easily upgraded and removed from the car the daily grind. Not to mention that the Nav system clutters the dash. Plus, do I really need Nav in a performance car? I guess I dont really care about resale value but I do care about paying 1-3k for something that I am not going to need and that in 5yrs is going to be way out of date.

2. I think I am gonna ditch the DSG/DST in favor the 6spd MT. Mostly, this is for the drivers experience. I plan on driving both versions to solidify my decision before purchase but I bet I will like the MT better.

Finally, for a purist, isnt it better to get your sports car stripped down anyway? I dont know about you, but I love my little E36 M3 for the drivers experience not for all the little "doo dads" and luxuries. I would have gotten cloth seats if I could have. Driving my little M around yesturday also made me realize that I dont need the DSG just because it may be .2-.3 seconds faster.

Thoughts?

Jason
      05-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
00o00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: its comming...

I think that the dsg/dst vs. 6mt. will be all personal preference... some people will swear by the new dsg/dst and vice versa, same situation as the e46 with the SMG2 v. 6mt.

As for the navigation I like it built in, because I believe that it looks cleaner, I do see your point of the system getting outdated, but our family has a ml 430 with built in nav and it’s just as good as the one in my moms 750 or my dads Continental GT even though its 3 or 4 years older.

now for me, my idea e92///M will have the basics, I have yet to make up my mind about DST but, I want it to be fast and handle as well as possible (duh) what I’m trying to say is that I want the combination that will get me around a track fastest.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
How does the nav go out of date? Can't you update with a new DVD? What exactly goes out of date?
      05-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I have come to realize lately that a skimpy, on options, E92 M3 may be the way that I am gonna lean. Two big ones come to mind that I have decided that I dont need nor really want.

1. Navigation-I hope I can get an M3 without Nav. I read an article recently that talked about Nav systems and resale value. Basically the article said that factory Nav systems go out of date in only a few years. And, made the obvious note that most of us dont need one. They instead praised portable systems that can be easily upgraded and removed from the car the daily grind. Not to mention that the Nav system clutters the dash. Plus, do I really need Nav in a performance car? I guess I dont really care about resale value but I do care about paying 1-3k for something that I am not going to need and that in 5yrs is going to be way out of date.

2. I think I am gonna ditch the DSG/DST in favor the 6spd MT. Mostly, this is for the drivers experience. I plan on driving both versions to solidify my decision before purchase but I bet I will like the MT better.

Finally, for a purist, isnt it better to get your sports car stripped down anyway? I dont know about you, but I love my little E36 M3 for the drivers experience not for all the little "doo dads" and luxuries. I would have gotten cloth seats if I could have. Driving my little M around yesturday also made me realize that I dont need the DSG just because it may be .2-.3 seconds faster.

Thoughts?

Jason

I would always order the NAV. Don't care if there will be a newer/better system...just the look of the screen and the cool IDrive controller makes it worth. But that's a matter of personal taste...
Same goes for MT vs. DSG...

But if you really want a stripped down car, don't forget that you should order neither 19"s nor the EDC.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
But if you really want a stripped down car, don't forget that you should order neither 19"s nor the EDC.
Very true. I saw a TV review of the 997S and the regular C2 and the reviewer liked the regular 997 over the 997S due to the 18" wheels vice the 19". Not that its a big surprise that the 18's were a better track wheel.

Quote:
How does the nav go out of date? Can't you update with a new DVD? What exactly goes out of date?
I will track down the article as it describes the woes of factory Nav systems better than I can..

Jason
      05-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/i...-resale-value/

Here is the article intristing stuff even if it is Autoblog...

"How's this - you pay a nearly ten percent premium to get a factory navigation system in your new whatever, and when it's replacement time, that very same nav system will cost you again, whacking 1% off the car's resale price. It makes perfect sense if you try to use some of the integrated nav setups in one- or two-year old used cars out there. Not only did they cost a fortune, they're not always terribly user friendly, and honestly, how often do most drivers need a nav system? Some at Autoblog love them in our review vehicles, but going the same route every day makes it virtually impossible to get lost. For people who travel a lot to areas they've never scouted, there's value in nav, but when you can get an aftermarket unit for far less, integrated nav starts to take on a pallid appearance.

Automakers are starting to get hip to this fact. Hyundai, while they're offering integrated nav on the Veracruz, sees no problem selling Garmin aftermarket units right off the showroom floor. The portables are a fast growing segment as consumers realize the value of third-party, portable nav systems. Portable navs are less expensive, offer features that cost a lot more on factory systems, and are upgraded far more regularly. For $1,000, you can get a system that offers real time traffic and weather data, works with bluetooth phones, and can be even more functional with the addition of optional software cards.

Not only are the aftermarket units cheaper, they're portable, so you can use them in whatever car you please. Of course, luxury buyers being who they are, there's a certain need to show off that a factory navigation system fulills, but puffery is costly. The quick path to obsolescence that all in-car electronics take means that very in short order, you've got an expensive, unfriendly, limited hunk of LCD-interfaced crap in your dash."

Jason
      05-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: is300

Hate to burst your bubble but most portable nav systems suck ass. they have very few POI and arent very accurate. atleast the three or four I used for a while till I got my avalanche with navi. it was much nicer than the portable units.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

that's crazy..my nav in the m3 is not always user friendly, but has saved my arse on many many occassions...and she's never led me astray. nav is now a must for me on any new car. also, the clunky aftermarket thing sitting on top of the dash is not very attractive, no matter how good they may be. funny thing is women really do seem to take offense when you listen to the nav's directions rather than them.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
lakerfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.0i

For people who live in cities with congested traffic, such as Los Angeles, BMW's new Navi's have up to date traffic times which i've used on an '07 530i, and those are really helpful when you wanna find the open roads to just cruise or not sit in stand still traffic
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

the truth is that a car without the factory navigation system will probably take a disproportionately high amount of depreciation as compared to a car with navigation.

if you really are a purist and resale value means little to you, the go with no navi (and no idrive).

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Is SatNAv an option for you guys over the pond? It's standard in the UK car (professional version).

I'm with you on 6spd manual.

You could wait for CSL... I couldn't
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I wholeheartedly agree JEllis and as an E36 owner, I can't help but admire that M3 in your sig every time I see it.

The car's damn heavy already, who really wants to luxury it up? Buy a 630i and go the whole hog on the GT front.

The built-in vs. portable nav thing is regularly mentioned here in the UK. The in-car systems go out of date by having dated software, not the maps themselves. If you have a portable, you can connect it to your computer and update the firmware very easily.
      05-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but most portable nav systems suck ass. they have very few POI and arent very accurate. atleast the three or four I used for a while till I got my avalanche with navi. it was much nicer than the portable units.

Mike
I think the stuff available in the States is lagging someway behind what Europe has at the moment.
      05-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
the truth is that a car without the factory navigation system will probably take a disproportionately high amount of depreciation as compared to a car with navigation.
Whats your source? I would like to see other articles supporting your opinions.

Jason
      05-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Whats your source? I would like to see other articles supporting your opinions.

Jason
i'm not in a debate with you. this is your car we're talking about, not mine.... and ultimately the decision rests with you. if you feel the need to do some research, check kelley blue book or edmunds or another reliable pricing authority to see valuation variance between newer cars with and wthout navi.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
i agree with your JEllis, however i will need to get both navigation and DCT/DSG because my fiancee will also be driving the car from time to time. She is a total idiot when it comes with directions and she does not want to learn manual (nor do i have the patience to teach her). So those are the only two options i will get, along with the M seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
I wholeheartedly agree JEllis and as an E36 owner, I can't help but admire that M3 in your sig every time I see it.

The car's damn heavy already, who really wants to luxury it up? Buy a 630i and go the whole hog on the GT front.

The built-in vs. portable nav thing is regularly mentioned here in the UK. The in-car systems go out of date by having dated software, not the maps themselves. If you have a portable, you can connect it to your computer and update the firmware very easily.

Guess what if BMW Dealers can update the car's firmware and you can always buy new nav DVDs. This is a shaky excuse not to get nav.

Honestly, it's a choice thing. I would spend a lot of time programming portable nav systems. If you have nav in the car, you just get in and program it while the car warms up.

Personally, the LCD screen is more important to me....the iDrive is good once you use it. Being able to see the contents of your iPOD etc....

If you are a purist and want to save 10 pounds and some $$$, don't bother.....

BTW, I don't think you will be able to get the M3 without the LCD screen since you need to configure the MDrive and other performance settings.
      05-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BTW, I don't think you will be able to get the M3 without the LCD screen since you need to configure the MDrive and other performance settings.
And here my boy you have found a true rub!

I hate speculating, but if new M options are anything like the 335i then without Nav you wont have Idrive (and numerous crazy settings to worry about ) and to some of us that is a true blessing. That beings said, if you do get the DSG then you probably have to get Nav and hence Idrive to program the tranny. To some that is fine, to others, Idrive is the thorn in BMW's side. To each his own I say.

I speculate that with the 6MT and without nav then all you have is an M button for throttle response, like in the previous gen. Lets hope...

Of course this is all speculation...

Jason
      05-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
And here my boy you have found a true rub!

I hate speculating, but if new M options are anything like the 335i then without Nav you wont have Idrive (and numerous crazy settings to worry about ) and to some of us that is a true blessing. That beings said, if you do get the DSG then you probably have to get Nav and hence Idrive to program the tranny. To some that is fine, to others, Idrive is the thorn in BMW's side. To each his own I say.

I speculate that with the 6MT and without nav then all you have is an M button for throttle response, like in the previous gen. Lets hope...

Of course this is all speculation...

Jason
I think i drive is also needed to program suspension so Idrive is a must in new M's...

Again I think... we need an E60 M5 here on this subject

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #20
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
I think i drive is also needed to program suspension so Idrive is a must in new M's...

Again I think... we need an E60 M5 here on this subject
All 6 and 5 series come with LCD screens, even without NAV AFAIK.

On the M6 / M5, you can pick your SMG settings, DSC (off / on / MDynamic), EDC (suspension), HUD view etc.....good luck without an LCD screen.

I went to the dragstrip today and played around with all the settings, very efficient.....I cannot imagine without a LCD screen

BMW could just pick one setting for those without a LCD screen but it would be a big incentive if you can customize more of your car's settings.
      05-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #21
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BMW could just pick one setting for those without a LCD screen but it would be a big incentive if you can customize more of your car's settings.
This always reminds me of the top gear episode where Hammond got stuck fiddling with Idrive to try and prove that the M6 could actually do 0-60 in BMW claimed times.

That being said, I never said anything about not having an LCD screen. I was talkings strictly Nav and Idrive.... I guess we will find out if Idrive is required to change the settings on the suspension....

Jason
      05-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #22
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
This always reminds me of the top gear episode where Hammond got stuck fiddling with Idrive to try and prove that the M6 could actually do 0-60 in BMW claimed times.

That being said, I never said anything about not having an LCD screen. I was talkings strictly Nav and Idrive.... I guess we will find out if Idrive is required to change the settings on the suspension....

Jason
In Germany MDrive Manager is an option which you can only get when you also order a NAV (to tell the truth in that case you also have to choose MDrive). So without NAV you don't get the MDrive Manager. Without you can't programm the M button on the steering wheel. Only thing you always get are the buttons on centre console...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0