BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Downshifting question DCT

Is it possible to downshift directly from, say, 5th gear to say, 3rd or 2nd in one move?

Also, do most of you guys downshift as you approach a stop or do you just let the DCT do it for you (while in S mode).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
Kitsune
BMW Freshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Soon) '10 M3 E92

As part of an automated design (Anti-Stall I believe was the term, but not positive), the DCT can downshift more than one gear, but not manually so far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
vamosvanos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

From my experience yes one can downshift more than one gear.
      07-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamosvanos View Post
From my experience yes one can downshift more than one gear.
Thanks, care to elaborate on how it's done?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

You can fast multi click on the downshift paddle if you want to swop from say 5th to 2nd, but I'm not convinced that the command is always handled well by the system (possibly as a result of the way the DCT tries to have the next predicted gear ratio preselected). My preference is always to single downshift, you can string a series of downshifts together very quickly without issue even under heavy braking.
You can let software do the the anti-stall downshifts as you approach a junction but you risk the DCT being in the process of making a downshift when you want to reapply the power which can leave you with no drive for a short time (dependant on which software version your car has). If you make the downshifts yourself, the downshift is quick and certain, the higher the gearshift mode (s1->s6) the more rev matching you get = faster downshifts, whereas in S1 you can heel and toe during the (what would otherwise be a slow) downshift to produce a fast downshift (my favourite and default daily driving gearbox mode).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
Kitsune
BMW Freshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Soon) '10 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
You can fast multi click on the downshift paddle if you want to swop from say 5th to 2nd, but I'm not convinced that the command is always handled well by the system (possibly as a result of the way the DCT tries to have have the next predicted gear ratio preselected). My preference is always to single downshift, you can string a series of downshifts together very quickly without issue even under heavy braking
This is about the only way I see to do it. My response was based off the understanding that they wanted to downshift more than one gear 'at once', something the DCT can only do on its own. Quickly hitting the paddles though should do the trick as long as it registers.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know whether the hardware can physically skips gears or if it has to go through every downshiftshift squentially.
I do sometimes make multi-downshifts but I don't like the time it takes to execute them which doesn't always seem constant or predictable.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
vamosvanos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
You can fast multi click on the downshift paddle if you want to swop from say 5th to 2nd, but I'm not convinced that the command is always handled well by the system (possibly as a result of the way the DCT tries to have the next predicted gear ratio preselected). My preference is always to single downshift, you can string a series of downshifts together very quickly without issue even under heavy braking.
You can let software do the the anti-stall downshifts as you approach a junction but you risk the DCT being in the process of making a downshift when you want to reapply the power which can leave you with no drive for a short time (dependant on which software version your car has). If you make the downshifts yourself, the downshift is quick and certain, the higher the gearshift mode (s1->s6) the more rev matching you get = faster downshifts, whereas in S1 you can heel and toe during the (what would otherwise be a slow) downshift to produce a fast downshift (my favourite and default daily driving gearbox mode).
+1
      07-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Is it possible to downshift directly from, say, 5th gear to say, 3rd or 2nd in one move?
Yes, but perhaps not exactly like you think. You can achieve a multi-gear downshift by pushing the gas pedal past the detent. In auto mode, the transmission will drop down to the best gear for accelerating automatically. In manual mode the transmission will drop to the best gear for accelerating only if you pull the "-" paddle (or use the stick). So you aren't picking the exact gear yourself. But the transmission will go from 5th directly to 2nd (for example) if you are cruising along at 45mph in 5th gear and do this procedure.

Granted, this does not provide a way to do a multi-gear downshift on deccleration. I just use multiple paddle pulls for that.

Quote:
Also, do most of you guys downshift as you approach a stop or do you just let the DCT do it for you (while in S mode).
I always downshift myself. Its more fun, more "correct" (arguably - though on the street vs. on a track the need is not as great, true), and it can help avoid the lag.

Quote:
...whereas in S1 you can heel and toe during the (what would otherwise be a slow) downshift to produce a fast downshift (my favourite and default daily driving gearbox mode).
You talk about this often, SFP, and it intrigues me. I never drive in S1. To me, heal-toe is a process that requires the ability for the engine to free rev momentarily, either while the transmission is in neutral (double clutch) or the clutch is simply disengaged (single clutch). Its not clear to me how or why the transmission can allow this in the context of the heal-toe process. But, as I say, it does intrigue me. Can you explain how this all works from a DCT-operation perspective?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

You talk about this often, SFP, and it intrigues me. I never drive in S1. To me, heal-toe is a process that requires the ability for the engine to free rev momentarily, either while the transmission is in neutral (double clutch) or the clutch is simply disengaged (single clutch). Its not clear to me how or why the transmission can allow this in the context of the heal-toe process. But, as I say, it does intrigue me. Can you explain how this all works from a DCT-operation perspective?
In S1 the downshift is slow enough that the DCT software releases control of the throttle for a short time and in that moment you can blip the throttle for a rev matched downshift.
Its more toe and toe than heel and toe in the sense that I cover the brake and throttle with the wide part of my shoe and just rock my foot to the side to push the throttle. Even a tickle is enough to transform the otherwise slow S1 downshift into 2nd or 1st into a quick smooth downshift and a confidence that you are in the gear you want.

I've just come back from a quick drive where I found you can indeed make quick multigear downshifts...the higher the gearshift mode the better it works..in S6 I managed 7th to 2nd in one shift but if you try it yourselves you do need be at low revs in 7th as it will rev match the shift up to rev limit if it can.
The only thing I noticed was that when I didn't click the paddle quick enough it went from 7th to 3rd and then 2nd but it was still pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
The only thing I noticed was that when I didn't click the paddle quick enough it went from 7th to 3rd and then 2nd but it was still pretty quick.
Why do you need to click the " - " paddle repeaditly many times in order to downshift multiple gears instead of pushing the gas beyond the kickdown pont and click the " - " paddle once? The system will downshift as many gears as needed (and have the engine rev matched) instantly to get you to the optimal gear for max acceleration at any given speed, eg from 7 to 2nd if needed. Why do you need to click the " - " paddle 5 times to achieve the same result?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In S1 the downshift is slow enough that the DCT software releases control of the throttle for a short time and in that moment you can blip the throttle for a rev matched downshift.
Its more toe and toe than heel and toe in the sense that I cover the brake and throttle with the wide part of my shoe and just rock my foot to the side to push the throttle. Even a tickle is enough to transform the otherwise slow S1 downshift into 2nd or 1st into a quick smooth downshift and a confidence that you are in the gear you want.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try this out. It still seems like there could be risk of unintended sudden acceleration if the clutch happens to be engaged when you think it isn't. No? I guess I should just try it and see.

Quote:
I've just come back from a quick drive where I found you can indeed make quick multigear downshifts...the higher the gearshift mode the better it works..in S6 I managed 7th to 2nd in one shift but if you try it yourselves you do need be at low revs in 7th as it will rev match the shift up to rev limit if it can. The only thing I noticed was that when I didn't click the paddle quick enough it went from 7th to 3rd and then 2nd but it was still pretty quick.
You're talking very rapid paddle clicks in succession, right? Yeah, this I do all the time.

But it was never clear to me whether the transmission was genuinely skipping gears in the process. That is, are the shift collars moving around inside the transmission in preparation to shift into each of the gears you pass through? Or is there enough of a delay built into the system such that it holds off even starting to execute the gear change until no more downshifts are detected? I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you get the effect of a multi-gear downshit. But I do sometimes wonder about wear, if the former is really what is going on inside. Because of that, I do still sometimes wish there were a way to do a true single-pull multi-gear downshift on deccelertaion like you can when accelerating. Not sure what kind of interface you'd use to tell it that's what you wanted it to do though.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Why do you need to click the " - " paddle repeaditly many times in order to downshift multiple gears instead of pushing the gas beyond the kickdown pont and click the " - " paddle once?
Because - at least as I understood him - he is talking about downshifting while deccelerating, not while accelerating.

One thing I forgot to add to my last post though, is that, I suppose you could trick it by gunning the gas past the detent, waiting for the multi-gear downshift, and letting off the gas immediately and hitting the brake. But this seems dangerous, convoluted, and just not really a good idea overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try this out. It still seems like there could be risk of unintended sudden acceleration if the clutch happens to be engaged when you think it isn't. No? I guess I should just try it and see.
I think once you have the timing right it works very well, I find some satisfaction in having a little bit more control of the downshift process.

Quote:
You're talking very rapid paddle clicks in succession, right? Yeah, this I do all the time.

But it was never clear to me whether the transmission was genuinely skipping gears in the process. That is, are the shift collars moving around inside the transmission in preparation to shift into each of the gears you pass through? Or is there enough of a delay built into the system such that it holds off even starting to execute the gear change until no more downshifts are detected? I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you get the effect of a multi-gear downshit. But I do sometimes wonder about wear, if the former is really what is going on inside. Because of that, I do still sometimes wish there were a way to do a true single-pull multi-gear downshift on deccelertaion like you can when accelerating. Not sure what kind of interface you'd use to tell it that's what you wanted it to do though.
I only did the 7-2 downshift a couple of times and its quite impressive in S6 as it rev matched up to 5000 rpm, the actual shift seemed too fast to have gone through each gear but I could be wrong. As you suggest maybe the gearbox does hold off making the shift if it detects a multi click of the paddle.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Because - at least as I understood him - he is talking about downshifting while deccelerating, not while accelerating.
Sorry, my bad - my read was too quick.

Quote:
One thing I forgot to add to my last post though, is that, I suppose you could trick it by gunning the gas past the detent, waiting for the multi-gear downshift, and letting off the gas immediately and hitting the brake. But this seems dangerous, convoluted, and just not really a good idea overall.
I thought of it too Too dangerous indeed!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I only did the 7-2 downshift a couple of times and its quite impressive in S6 as it rev matched up to 5000 rpm,
Oh it will go much higher than 5k RPM, trust me. I regularly get it up to the 8k range in 2nd gear, when exiting an expressway for example. It will even go up to around 7k in 1st gear. Tons-o-fun.

Actually that just made me wonder about something I've never tried before. I wonder what happens if you use the multi-stage downshift accerleration function (the one discussed above, using the throttle detent) at a very low speed. Will it actually drop you into first gear or will it only go to second? I have never even thought to try this on a street where I'd be moving slow enough for first gear to be available so I don't know. I'll have to try it out later.

Quote:
the actual shift seemed too fast to have gone through each gear but I could be wrong. As you suggest maybe the gearbox does hold off making the shift if it detects a multi click of the paddle.
Yeah, I know it can't actually be doing the entire shift process with each click. But in theory it could - with the clutch disengaged the whole time - still be running through the process of moving the collars in and out for each gear, so all that it would have to do is let out the appropriate clutch to complete the shift. In other words, it would be the same as dropping the shift lever into each gate when doing multi downshifts with a traditional manual transmission, all while keeping the clutch pedal in. You'd never do this with a manual of course (unless you are a very indecisive person ), but you see what I mean, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
... awaits Swamp's response
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
... awaits Swamp's response
Is he going to be long cos I've got things to do!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What most are saying is correct. I'll add/summarize:

1. While in auto mode a large and fast throttle depression will grab multiple gears automatically, skipping the in between gears. S5 does this with less throttle input than S2 and similarly across the Drivelogic modes.
2. While in auto modes a full depression of the pedal will indeed give you a "maximum" downshift to the gear that provides the best acceleration. Again the intermediate gears are always skipped. I'm fairly sure you can't get a 7->3 downshift or 7->2 in S1 mode. It will only shift a couple gears down. All the other modes will provide a maximum downshift.

The shifts for either of these scnarios are fast but not nearly as fast as a single gear auto or manual downshift.

3. While in manual mode you have to click the paddles very very quickly to actually skip an intermediate gear. I know you can skip one gear but not sure if you can skip 2, say 7->4.
4. While in manual mode if the go quickly to WOT and hold the downshift paddle you activate the kick down mode which just like #2 above will give you a fast and maximum downshift remaining in manual mode the whole time. This is really fun.

Just as a note whether in auto or manual modes upshifts NEVER skip gears. The ability to skip gears is one characteristic that makes the DCT absolutely not a sequential.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #20
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In other words, it would be the same as dropping the shift lever into each gate when doing multi downshifts with a traditional manual transmission, all while keeping the clutch pedal in. You'd never do this with a manual of course (unless you are a very indecisive person ), but you see what I mean, right?
Yes I do...I tried the 7th to 2nd shift in S1 last night and thats a totally different shift..the indicator goes straight from 7 to 2 but the actually shift takes about 2 secs with a half hearted rev match at the end compared to less than 0.5 secs for the same shift in S6.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #21
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

So SenorFunky - are you saying that you went straight from 7th to 2nd?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #22
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
So SenorFunky - are you saying that you went straight from 7th to 2nd?
The gearbox gives every impression that it makes the shift from 7th -> 2nd in one shift in S6...but it is hard to be certain what exactly is going on inside the DCT without definitive information from Getrag/BMW.
Its interesting from a technical point of view but not something that you are going to do in day to day driving.
Appreciate 0