E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325xiT or 330xi - is the wagon worth it?

01-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
beldredge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 335 xdrive m-sport

325xiT or 330xi - is the wagon worth it?

For those of you with experience with the E91, how much more versatile is the wagon cargo area versus the trunk of the sedan (I imagine LED ZEP is uniquely qualified to answer this, huh?)?

Assuming I get a 3-series, I've just assumed I would go with the wagon, for the added versatility for "kid-stuff" and just 'cause I think they're cool. But, I was browsing the inventory at a local dealership and noticed a 330xi (sedan, obviously) equipped much like I would like one - silver/grey, premium and heated seats. At about $42k, this is only about $2k more than the 325xiT I had in mind (with premium, sport, heated seats and HIDs). I wouldn't be getting the sport pkg in this particular 330xi, but the extra 40 horses and Logic7 would be pretty cool.

So, I'm curious about what you all think of the trade-off between the versatility of the wagon and the extra hp of the 330xi. I've been fine with the trunk in my TSX up 'til now - maybe I don't really need a wagon? (you can probably tell which way I'm leaning - the idea of a 330 has me pretty excited )
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Seems to me that the wagon wouldn't have the same ideal weight distribution from front to back as a sedan would. One other disadvantage with the wagon (as is the case with my SUV) is that you can't exactly secure items in a locked trunk.
      01-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
acd483
Private
Rep
Drives: two feet

Go drive the 325xi and you'll understand why the bigger engine is a requirement.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Test drive! Don't get the 330 without ZSP -- your dealer ought to be able to trade for one. The handling/weight distribution of the E90/91xi are nearly identical. But the extra 110 lbs. does not help the E91.

lbs.
3285 325i
3560 325xi
3737 325xiT
3417 330i
3627 330xi
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
beldredge, It's really up to you. How much do you need the space? I have enjoyed my 325xiT enough that I'm buying another. I'm not married, and have no kids. But I do find myself using the capacity of the wagon on a regular basis. The way that I see it, I have the cargo capacity of a SUV, and the performance/handling/MPG/style/class of a BMW 3. You can't tell you're driving a wagon from the drivers seat, PERIOD. I see that you live in Denver. The all wheel drive is absolutely amazing, more than likely you would be utilizing the xdrive, maybe more that most on this forum. It's quite fun when its raining to just floor it when making a turn and feel the car just go, no slip. In the snow it's also incredible. I can't get stuck ! Yes a 330 has more power, but I'll race one any-day with a little rain or snow and I can't lose. ( just if you have the need to prove your manhood by racing someone) Why don't you ask all the 330i owners how well their car handles in 6" of snow? Or ask any 325/330 sedan owners how great it was to put a coffee table or a couple of bikes inside their car? Again it's really up to you and your needs. I'm not trying to start a 325 vs. 330 thing at all. there's pros and cons to both when making that decision.
I will add that any women I've ever picked up for a date didn't say " oh, you drive a station wagon" , they say, " oh, you drive BMW, nice car."
      01-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Get the 330xi with fold down seats. Then you won't lose that much versatility.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
beldredge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for responses. I know it really comes down to a personal decision. After thinking about it (constantly) over the past few days, I'm definitely leaning to the 330xi. The wagon would be nice in certain situations, but my wife drives an MDX, so when we have hauling requirements, that is almost always the choice.

The suggestion to get folding seats is a good one - I picked up some Elfa shelving from the Container Store this past weekend with my TSX, and was able to fit it all in easily by folding down the seats.

As far as the suggestion for test drives, I have driven both a 325xi and 330xi (both with manual trannies). I didn't drive them back to back though, so I honestly don't recall a dramatic difference. And, as far as getting the sport package, I agree. While I'm intrigued by the 330xi they have on the lot that I could have right now, I think I'd regret not having the sport seats.

Anyway - thanks again. If anyone else has comments and insight, keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
beldredge - sorry for the late response (damn job). Others have offered some good comments and in the end it is certainly your choice. I think the differences between the two from a performance standpoint are minimal (325 to 325) and as ChiTown said you cannot tell the difference in feel or handling from the drivers seat at all.

ksfrogman's comments can be dismissed entirely. 1. The wagon has 50/50 balance just like the sedan (gee, you mean BMW thought of that too). I'm not sure what he means by the security of a locked trunk. The E91 (again, the creative minds of those German engineers) comes standard with locks. The cargo cover/shade ensures that no one can see what is in the cargo area.

With the seats folded down, it is a nice sized cargo area.

I love my sedan, and I love my wagon. But I think I actually like the wagon more.

P.S. My sister lives in Broomfield.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
beldredge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks LED ZEP - I knew you'd be able to provide some insight from day-to-day experience.

I agree performance-wise there is little difference between a E90 325 and a E91 325, but my consideration is sacrificing the wagon in favor of the 330xi. The 255 hp has me intrigued.

To be honest, the wagon has been part of my "sales pitch" with the wife (being a more practical kids/dog car). I may need to backtrack a little if I want the 330xi.

On a sidenote - LED ZEP: alpine white, arctic and silver are my top three color choices, but the order preference changes daily. Do you have a preference between your white and arctic 325's?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldredge

On a sidenote - LED ZEP: alpine white, arctic and silver are my top three color choices, but the order preference changes daily. Do you have a preference between your white and arctic 325's?
That's funny you should ask that question. When I first saw the E90 (just one day before its official release date) I fell in love and just had to have it. Of course, waiting for a factory order at that time would have driven me insane - so I asked my CA to try to find what I wanted either at another dealer or in transit. My three color choices: Arctic, Silver, Alpine White - in that order. She found what I wanted in AW and I said okie-dokie. I've been very happy with my decision.

When we ordered the wagon, we ordered Arctic since that was the first color choice for the E90. We're also thrilled with that choice. So, probably not any help, but I love them both (like kids). White is easy to keep clean and forgiving of small scratches, etc. With the beige interior it's classy. The Arctic is just an amazing color - like a chameleon.

Good luck - keep us posted on your decision. If the horsepower is that big a deal then the 330 will win out. Personally I've had much more HP than the 330 has and it's fun once in awhile - the rest of the time it just drinks gas.

One thing about the wagon (has to be seen to be appreciated) THE PANORAMA SUNROOF is awesome!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Once again BMW NA could make so many of us happy with a 335iT (RWD). Or 330/335dT.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Once again BMW NA could make so many of us happy with a 335iT (RWD). Or 330/335dT.

yeah all 4 of you..............

they don't bring them here because they don't sell in volume
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
jmatero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Garage List
I don't understand the comment "Go drive the 325xi and you'll understand why the bigger engine is a requirement."

Seriously, I've driven the 325xi 4 times now.. and with a stick that car is no slouch. It's MORE than adequate and quite sporty. If you drive it back-to-back with a similarly equipped 325i you can't tell the difference. Of course it's all relative.... it depends on what you drove BEFORE and what you're used to power-wise. But I'll NEVER buy an underpowered car... and believe me I love pep..... but I ordered the 325xi with manual. I could have ordered the 330xi... but it's thousands more and I couldn't justify it for 40hp.... well, and I'm in the middle of remodling my kitchen.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
snapper
Rep
Drives: B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I'm not sure what he means by the security of a locked trunk. The E91 (again, the creative minds of those German engineers) comes standard with locks. The cargo cover/shade ensures that no one can see what is in the cargo area.
A locking trunk can be significant if you go anywhere where there is valet parking. For me, that includes some nice restaurants and hotels, and all NYC parking garages.

I'd vote for the sedan with cold weather package (split folding seats)for a change of pace from the wagonesque MDX, and cuz I like the power. If you have one kid, split the seat for the dog... if you have two kids, take the ski bag off and let'm poke his head through (the dog, not the kid ).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
shack
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2002 325xiT

Garage List
2006 325xiT  [0.00]
2002 325xiT  [0.00]
Lightbulb Going for Another 325xiT

I'm with ChiTown. Currently own 2002 325xiT and getting 2006 325xiT. Drove them all, but even as empty nester sometimes I need to haul, and touring is the answer. Also, don't forget the big, standard double-pane sunroof on touring, and the roof rails if you have a roof rack for bikes, skis, etc. The xiT is very nicely equipped and - as BMW says - for the first time is a completely different vehicle than sedan. I, like LEDZEP, went for arctic this time having gone for titanium silver last time. I love the silver, but my dealer convinced me when he showed me the chameleon sample and said "Everybody has got a *silver* car...."

I'm in Canada moving next year to Colorado Springs so AWD is essential, not an option. I suppose I would also be happy with 330xi, but I believe there is still about a $2K price difference between the less expensive 325xiT and the 330xi.

Good luck, whatever you choose.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #16
beldredge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah - this is gonna be a tough decision, though I doubt I'll regret whichever I choose.

I forgot about the panorama sunroof - that is an awesome feature of the xiT.

And even though I am being drawn to the extra hp of the 330xi right now, power is actually the feature lowest on my list of priorities (AWD and more room being the most important). My TSX is a very well-balanced car, but no one will argue that it's terribly fast. But I still have a lot of fun with it.

So, we'll see - I'm not in a terrible rush. I'm sure I'll change my mind a dozen times before I make the purchase. Did I mention I'm also mildly considering a 525xi?

By the way shack - I grew up in Colorado Springs. It's a beautiful city - hope you enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

If you can wait, the deals should start getting better on xi's in the spring. IMO the 325xiT is the perfect Coloradomobile.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #18
Al Pine
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi Alpine White

I got rid of a Subaru Wagon in favor of the 330xi (with fold down seats). Couldn't be more pleased. This car has everything you could ever want. Handles great in the snow. The fold down seat option is quite nice and very easy to use. My suggestion would be to seriously consider the 330xi vs. the 325 xit. Good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #19
leosong11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Welcome to forum Alpine!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #20
beldredge
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just got back from a local dealership, and I was lucky enough that they happened to have a 325xiT with a manual trannie on the lot - it had been ordered, but the buyers had to back out of it.

The salesperson was extremely helpful and let me take some test drives on my own.

So, I took a nice 30 minute drive in the 325xiT, followed immediately by a 330xi, similarly equipped with a manual trannie and premium package.

Unfortunately, the only thing conclusive that came out of all that was that I want a 330xi wagon! Since I can't have that, I'm still not sure which way I'd go, though I'm leaning toward the wagon.

I thought the power difference (and exhaust note) was noticable in the 330xi. The 325xiT felt about on par with my TSX, which isn't necessarily bad. I just think whenever you get a new car, it's kinda nice to get at least a little bump. I felt much more of a surge when stepping on the throttle of the 330xi, whereas the 325xiT was very steady, but not terribly exciting.

With all that said, I love the look of the wagon, the panorama sunroof, and the way the hatch works. And I'm thinking these attributes are more tangible and useful on a day to day basis then the extra power in the 330xi.

As a side note, I also "tested" out the two different stereo systems and liked the Logic7 quite a bit, to the point that I would probably add it to the 325xiT. Which makes the overall price difference between the 325xiT and 330xi, as I would configure them, only $1,250. That's what makes it so tempting to jump to the 330xi.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #21
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
I just got back from a local dealership, and I was lucky enough that they happened to have a 325xiT with a manual trannie on the lot - it had been ordered, but the buyers had to back out of it.
Damn, I thought I was the only one with a manual wagon.
      01-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #22
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

The salesperson was extremely helpful and let me take some test drives on my own.

So, I took a nice 30 minute drive in the 325xiT, followed immediately by a 330xi, similarly equipped with a manual trannie and premium package.

Unfortunately, the only thing conclusive that came out of all that was that I want a 330xi wagon! Since I can't have that, I'm still not sure which way I'd go, though I'm leaning toward the wagon.

I thought the power difference (and exhaust note) was noticable in the 330xi. The 325xiT felt about on par with my TSX, which isn't necessarily bad. I just think whenever you get a new car, it's kinda nice to get at least a little bump. I felt much more of a surge when stepping on the throttle of the 330xi, whereas the 325xiT was very steady, but not terribly exciting.

With all that said, I love the look of the wagon, the panorama sunroof, and the way the hatch works. And I'm thinking these attributes are more tangible and useful on a day to day basis then the extra power in the 330xi.

As a side note, I also "tested" out the two different stereo systems and liked the Logic7 quite a bit, to the point that I would probably add it to the 325xiT. Which makes the overall price difference between the 325xiT and 330xi, as I would configure them, only $1,250. That's what makes it so tempting to jump to the 330xi.
Don't forget than a sedan with fold down seats is almost as useable as the wagon. Go back to the sedan, fold down the seats, open the trunk, look, and think about how many times you will need more room in the car.

Then get the 330xi and a trailer hitch!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0