BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
allen1999
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: S65B40

help.......

hi,

is anyone here got the rear LSD noise after the first 2k inspection oil change ?? my m3 got that problem when i turn a corner very slow in 1st gear . is that normal ??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I think its normal. Mine sounds like I am dragging a can. I only hear it every once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

yea mine is like that 2
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen1999 View Post
hi,

is anyone here got the rear LSD noise after the first 2k inspection oil change ?? my m3 got that problem when i turn a corner very slow in 1st gear . is that normal ??
You must be referring to this service bulletin:

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated March 2008.

SUBJECT
Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering

MODEL
E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production

SITUATION
A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering. This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations; for example, while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.

CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise. This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.
The break-in time varies depending on driving habits; for example, tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.

CORRECTION
If a customer complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.
PROCEDURE
1. Drain the differential oil. Refer to the appropriate model repair instruction in TIS:
Main Group 33 / Subgroup 10 / RA 0011259.
2. Refill the differential with special differential oil as shown in the illustration below.
Differential fill capacity = 1.2 liters (1.3 quarts).
3. Road test the vehicle.
With the vehicle at operating temperature, drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.
The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Advise the customer that it will be necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated.
Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to use this oil whenever a service requiring the differential oil replacement is indicated.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
allen1999
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

yes..it only happen when i driving very slow cornering
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
allen1999
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
You must be referring to this service bulletin:

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated March 2008.

SUBJECT
Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering

MODEL
E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production

SITUATION
A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering. This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations; for example, while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.

CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise. This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.
The break-in time varies depending on driving habits; for example, tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.

CORRECTION
If a customer complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.
PROCEDURE
1. Drain the differential oil. Refer to the appropriate model repair instruction in TIS:
Main Group 33 / Subgroup 10 / RA 0011259.
2. Refill the differential with special differential oil as shown in the illustration below.
Differential fill capacity = 1.2 liters (1.3 quarts).
3. Road test the vehicle.
With the vehicle at operating temperature, drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.
The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Advise the customer that it will be necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated.
Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to use this oil whenever a service requiring the differential oil replacement is indicated.
yes ,i saw the report part number : 83-22-2-282-583 ..replaced rear diff oil
Appreciate 0