BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Personally, I wouldn't any more ask a dealer to top off my oil than I would pull in and ask them to pour my bottle of Chevron techroline in my gas tank for me or add 2 pounds of air to my tires or add windshield washer fluid. I would feel like an idiot doing that.
I would do all those things. Why do something yourself that you can get someone else to do for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #24
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPRT View Post
I don't get it. Are you saying I'm incapable of pouring my own oil? And I should feel like a idiot for someone else doing it. I was in Irvine. Not my home town of San Diego so didn't know where to stop to grab a quart. Stopped at a Chevron before BMW but they didn't carry 10W60. Isn't amazing I even know what that is. Isn't true in Oregon you don't pump your own gas? I hope someone doesn't make mistake with your car and then you are considered an idiot for letting them provide shitty service.

Lesson learned yes I should carry an extra quart and a rag. Now only if I was smart enough to know how to pour it.
Well, I don't get what you don't get. I'm saying that if my add oil light came on and I found myself without an extra liter in my trunk for some reason and I was out of town and went to a BMW dealer to buy a liter, I would park in their parking lot, walk into their parts department, buy 2 liters of oil, go back out to the their parking lot, and add a liter myself, and throw the other liter in my trunk. Honestly, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask them to add it. It would be easier to do it myself than to deal with them. Why wouldn't I? Why ask them to do it? I just don't get it.
As far as gas in Oregon, I hate it. I always get out, open the gas cap for them and stand there and watch to make sure they hit the premium button, and by me standing there watching them, it makes most of them a little more aware and a little more careful putting the nozzle in. If I can finish, I do. If they are still hovering and want to finish, me standing there watching usually makes them more careful about spilling. Then I put my own cap back on to make sure it's tight. I don't have much choice, it's the stupid law here, but I do the best I can under the circumstances.
So anyway, what does that have do with adding oil? And why so sensitive. Show me where I called you an idiot. I said I would feel like an idiot standing there with a bottle of oil in my hand asking someone "can you add this for me". You are free to feel like whatever you want.
Dude in hindsight you make sense. Easy to do in your underwear and from your man cave. But what I posted was fact. A mistake by the employee happened and I had to get it fixed. Why, because some dude didn't ensure my oil cap was on and oil spilled. As The Tech mentioned you can only get 10w60 from BMW. I didn't know that but after checking with a gas station I went to BMW. After the purchase I asked for a rag and he came out and just poured it in. I even popped the hood. I wasn't going to grab the rag from him and tell him step aside. He was a BMW service employee. I trusted he'd do it right. Go ahead top me off. I said thanks and moved on. At no point did I feel like an idiot. Why would I? Why would you. Some one qualified to help you is helping you. Getting your gas pumped for you to you is a hassle. Getting my oil filled was a hassle. Same difference.
      08-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
I would do all those things. Why do something yourself that you can get someone else to do for you?
Are you serious? Pretty lazy reply if you ask me. I will go out of my way to do my own things rather than have someone else do it who doesn't own my car and could care less. Or you do as you say and a week from now we'll have another thread like this one.

This is why my car is mint and I know all the idiosyncrasies. Fuck the dealers. Most of them suck.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #26
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
No offense but you can't put a bottle of oil in the engine yourself? I would never stop by a dealer and have them come out and add it. You can walk up to parts, purchase a bottle and go pour it in and be gone. Especially implying the "dealer at it again" as in you either have experienced or atleast recognized dealers giving crap care-you should know better
Haaay! Maybe the op didn't want to get his manicured hands dirty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
Are you serious? Pretty lazy reply if you ask me. I will go out of my way to do my own things rather than have someone else do it who doesn't own my car and could care less. Or you do as you say and a week from now we'll have another thread like this one.

This is why my car is mint and I know all the idiosyncrasies. Fuck the dealers. Most of them suck.
If you feel that way, you should clean your own house, do your own laundry, mow your own lawn, etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If you feel that way, you should clean your own house, do your own laundry, mow your own lawn, etc...
yes, I do those things as well.. It's what happens when you become a man/adult.. who does your laundry?? What a weird response
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yes, I do those things as well.. It's what happens when you become a man/adult.. who does your laundry?? What a weird response
Umm...I have someone come clean my house and send most of my laundry out to the cleaners. Not sure why you would think that was a weird response.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Umm...I have someone come clean my house and send most of my laundry out to the cleaners. Not sure why you would think that was a weird response.
To each his own man; I enjoy working around the house, working and building my cars and you enjoy paying people to do it for you. Different strokes', but you can be sure me doing all these things will never lead to a thread like this. Point is, if you want something done right, do it yourself. That goes for everything in life.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
It's more trouble than it's worth to drive to a dealer, talk to somebody, stand around while someone else pours in a bottle of oil. If mine needed a quart, I would get out of my car, open the trunk and get the bottle out and pour it in myself, and be on my way. It never ceases to amaze me the trouble people put up with because they a) can't pour an effin bottle of oil into their engine, and b) don't carry a bottle in their trunk. Personally, I wouldn't any more ask a dealer to top off my oil than I would pull in and ask them to pour my bottle of Chevron techroline in my gas tank for me or add 2 pounds of air to my tires or add windshield washer fluid. I would feel like an idiot doing that.
Funny you say that. In all honesty, if I hadn't gone through all the troubles of fixing, working on, etc. my previous cars, I wouldn't know what to do - working on cars is a bit intimidating to the foreign. No offense to the gentlemen/women on the boards, but quite a few BMW owners lack experience, but rather simply have the means to own such an expensive car. Expensive car = best service in the world (in their heads) . Just to cover my but, I'm looking for an M3 NOW!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Bummer to hear that this happened by (I hope) a pro mechanic.

Makes me wonder if I should check these details when I get my car. Would look a little funny if I open up the hood before pulling away from the dealer/mechanic.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To each his own man; I enjoy working around the house, working and building my cars and you enjoy paying people to do it for you. Different strokes', but you can be sure me doing all these things will never lead to a thread like this. Point is, if you want something done right, do it yourself. That goes for everything in life.
Yes, to each his own, but you stated earlier, "Are you serious? Pretty lazy reply if you ask me." Kind of goes against the "to each his own" statement.

It's a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line on things you deem as lazy and things you just don't want to do yourself? Amish can state that you are lazy for not building your own furniture, building your own home, making your own clothes, and growing your own food. Lazy is subjective...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #34
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
In my young years I drove an old falling-apart car that required me
to carry some extra engine oil, gallons of water for leaky radiator, etc...
I did it because I HAD TO... no money to pay someone to do it for me...
no biggie back then, but given me the resources I wouldnt do things myself
as far as working on cars and around the house... do not enjoy it and
I wouldnt be able to afford myself anyhow

Not my bag. Bottom line: Rather pay somebody to do what I dont feel like doing myself.

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post
In my young years I drove an old falling-apart car that required me
to carry some extra engine oil, gallons of water for leaky radiator, etc...
I did it because I HAD TO... no money to pay someone to do it for me...
no biggie back then, but given me the resources I wouldnt do things myself
as far as working on cars and around the house... do not enjoy it and
I wouldnt be able to afford myself anyhow

Not my bag. Bottom line: Rather pay somebody to do what I dont feel like doing myself.
I agree to an extent and didn't mean to miscontrue what was said prior (although it came off negative cause nothing interprets through type words)
.. Some things I would rather pay people to do for me out of convenience..

Mods= fun for me

maintenance= fun for others to do sometimes
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #36
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Wow, sounds pretty lazy to me!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Wow, sounds pretty lazy to me!
I don't think it's about laziness. My time is valuable to me, even if I have "free" time. I would rather not waste hours cleaning, doing laundry, mowing lawn, etc.. when I can pay someone a nominal fee to do this for me. You only get so many hours in this life, you may as well put them to good use or enjoy them.
Appreciate 0